Re: Trail Cam Comparison

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

Good info there ....what are u leaning towards?

[quote="OMC-MOOSE"]http://www.chasingame.com[/quote]
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

All of the research I did last fall on the two websites based on performance, reliability, customer service, and PRICE led me to the SpyPoint IR-A. You can spend $1000 or more on a cam, but for me the SpyPoint for about $200 seemed to be the best all around. So far I have purchased 3 of them. One malfunctioned out of the box but was quickly replaced and put in service. All 3 take great pics. I'm happy
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I finally got some cheapola trailcams for last season. It was a learning experience. Now I'd like some more that are reasonably priced, have IR, quick capture, and most importantly, really good battery life. I don't plan on winning photo contests with trail cam pics. I just want to see what's in my area.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Tom

Post by Tom »

It has been a while since I have kept up with the advancements with trail cams but I used to build my own. Be careful of chaising game site and their recommended cams. I know from fact that they did not tell the truth about one trail cam because another trail cam builder accused the first of copying the his work (totally not true). Funny thing was that the guy complaining gave a couple of cams to the site for testing and to do whatever after with, then the site bans and attacks this other builder.

From that point on I lost trust in that site and their claims of non bias. I did asked to be removed from their site after I complained about their actions.

When looking at trail cams trigger time is very important. As well as battery life, storage and sensitivity of the detectors. If your wanting a white flash cam, then how good is the flash (distance) and recharging time. There are many people that still build trail cams at home (for sale) at reasonable prices and they usually use top line equipment (best sensors ect.). A slight comparision had a home brew against a store bought (store unit was more costly). The home brew had more pictures (about x 5) that the store unit never even saw at 20 feet. It also had longer distances for pictures (but remember long distance pics give a very small animal which could be difficult to see.

To compare one trail cam to another is difficult. They change very rapidly on the market (once a test or comparison is available, they are outdated). There are also so many different options which vary drasticly as to how important they are depending on who is going to use it.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
KBW

Post by KBW »

Phoenix_Tom wrote:I finally got some cheapola trailcams for last season. It was a learning experience. Now I'd like some more that are reasonably priced, have IR, quick capture, and most importantly, really good battery life. I don't plan on winning photo contests with trail cam pics. I just want to see what's in my area.
ITS A TOOL TO FINE BIG BUCKS :)
2010 EXCALIBUR VORTEX FLEMISH DYNA STRING RIGHT.STUFF,PACKAGE
trailcamguy

Post by trailcamguy »

I'm a fan of the homebrews myself. Reliable, great pics, no more expensive than a mid priced commercial cam, and there's always great people building cams as a hobby and more than willing to help, just for the asking.....
All of the pics in my signature link below are taken with homebrews. Feel free to take a look. There's a ton of em....
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I really knowed nutten about them. Awshucks put 4 cams on me & it took me most 2 weeks of pondering how to set them. Then which one's actually took pic's or sat there looking back at me. As Tom has said several things to looking fer. Comm. or Homebrewed. Homebrewed will win every aspect of the spectrum. Trigger speed, W/flash or IR red or blk. cam lens being able to focus with shutter speed. Trail or feeder, food plot cam. Batterys get costly. Get one that takes the newer small type disc's 512 or 1 or 2GB not those older compact flash one's. IR's don't have the distance as a w/flash doe's lessen you use an extender. Cheap is only that til it costs more to re-invest fer something that doe's the job you actually need. They (being Comm.) type will take pic's of leaves n limbs trees moving squirrels birds the list goes on. One thing i have learned is i will be building several HB's shortly! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

I make my own HB cams. But check these out covertscoutingcamera.com
twang

Post by twang »

Great responses from a number of folks on trail cams. Guess I need to throw my two cents worth in (that's probably more than it's worth.) I have friends who have used a number of brand name cams and have heard their comments . Have come to the conclusion that none are perfect but I have only used one brand, a brand that some people speak highly of...sad to say that wasn't my experience with it. Over a period of about 15 months the camera was in the field about 4 months. Great pictures at first I thought but when I came to hunt thats when I discovered that a number of deer and other critters walked all around the camera and later when I checked no pictures. After about a year it stopped taking night pictures, well not exactly, the picture was totally black. Contacted manufacturer and was told "Tuff luck" out of warranty, send us $300 bucks and we'll send you a new camera. In other words the camera cost me $50.00 per month to use. I am retired after 30 years as a purchasing agent and know for a fact that some manufacturers value their customers more that other companies. All I am saying is when you choose the camera you are also choosing the company that made it.
twang

Post by twang »

Correction it cost me $75.00 per month to use
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

If you decide to go Comm. & want one that takes good pic's the scoutguard 550 or Bushnell Trophy will do a decent job.Can be had under $200. You can get a HB fer about the same price area if you build it or knowed someone who will
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
JBO

Post by JBO »

I've bought many different trail cameras and also flushed many dollars down the toilet, as usual you get what you pay for. I finally found one that works great, RECONYX.... RC60 OH. It works spectacular, the bad news is the price. That said, batteries can last months and the picture quality is as good as it gets. Going into my hunting areas as infrequently as possible with confidents the camera is working properly is worth the price to me.
Good luck
Vortex
Custom Boo string
Lumi-Zone
Slick Tricks
NRA