Youth Day in North Carolina

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Youth Day in North Carolina

Post by raydaughety »

I thought that the morning was going to be a bust as Tyler and I made our way to the club through the thick fog. I knew that having to drive as slow in the fog that we might be a few minutes late and that was confirmed when I saw the flashing blue lights blocking the road ahead. I pulled over to see if I could help and Tyler immediately recognized the mangled pick up truck as one that belonged to a good friend and fellow hunting club member that we call Buckshot. When I asked the state trooper about the driver he confirmed our friends name as the driver and that he had been rushed to the local hospital. The trooper asked me if I knew any of his family and a way to get in touch with them. If he had to ask me about next of kin, I knew that my buddy left injured and unable to answer their questions. Suddenly, Tyler asked about the girl in the truck. Buckshot has a daughter that is Tyler's age and she would have certainly been in the truck because it was the opening day of youth season. The trooper confirmed that there was no one else in the truck but we were still worried about his daughter. I dialed Buckshot's home number and when his wife answered I handed the phone to the trooper and he advised her of the accident and what hospital Buckshot had been taken to. When I got on the phone with her, I volunteered to come pick her up but she declined as she was only a few blocks from the hospital. She also told us that their daughter decided not to go at the last minute so he was alone at the time of the accident. The trooper finally told me that his injuries were not life threatening but he was in severe pain. With nothing else that we could do, we decided to head on to the club and when things calmed down, we would go to the hospital.

We arrived at the hunting club at almost 7:00 and headed for our favorite spot. The birds were already gobbling as we headed across the field but I knew that we would be ok because the fog was so thick that the birds would probably hold tight until they could see a little. After getting set up, Tyler and I said a prayer for Buckshot and asked him for his blessings and a safe hunt. I played cat and mouse with a gobbler for about 30 minutes with my Jackpot glass but I knew that there was no way that he was going to come all the way across the cut field until he could see what was in front of him. There was an old fallen tree in the middle of the backside of field where I had killed my biggest gobbler ever last year and this bird would make his way to this tree and then go back. I told Tyler that the next time that he came to the tree gobbling and turned back, we would pick up our decoys and head for the tree in hopes of catching him when he came back to it the next time.

We approached the downed tree and set the decoys up near the tree on the edge of the field. As we stepped across the dry ditch and sat down we heard him thunder just around the corner in the field. I waited for Tyler to get ready and as soon as he gave me the thumbs up, I gave him 3 yelps with my mouth call and the gobbler immediately cut me off. Within a couple of second, the gobbler came around the end of the tree and when he saw the decoys, he blew up like a lawn and garden trash bag and came running full boar towards the decoys, his long beard nearly dragging the ground. I could hear Tyler's heart beating and the smack in his throat as he tried to find the slightest bit of spit but he was to nervous to make it happen :) . The big gobbler ran right past us at 5-6 yards and sailed right on top of our Primos Jake Decoy, flapping his wings on the decoy showing him who was boss. As the gobbler took a break to try and figure out why the jake wasn't fighting back of making a run for it, Tyler sent a load of #6s from his Remington 870 pump 20 ga Turkey Special that we had bought him 3 years ago. Tyler jumped to his feet and was on the Tom within seconds making sure that he wasn't going anywhere but a clean head shot at about 7-8 yards was plenty of assurance that the only place that bird was going was in the back of the truck :D .

As the celebration and hugs began, I realized that this whole event that started over a week ago with me losing my job was all a part of God's plan to show me who was actually in charge :wink: . Tyler hauled the big Tom up on the big fallen tree so that we could take a few pictures. We started walking towards the truck which was only about 400 yards away, Tyler asked " Dad, can I have a minute with my bird? I just want to enjoy it for a minute" :D . My chest swelled with pride as I told him to stay right there and that I would go get the truck. I picked up my cane and slowly walked towards the truck. I stopped about 75 yards away and turned to look back at him and through the fog I could see my son kneeling at the gobblers side. He was obviously in prayer over something that was between he and God the Father. It took me quite some time to get to the truck and even longer to stop the tears of pride and joy that were running down my face. After calming down and thanking God for this moment that he had given us, I cranked the truck and drove to the end of the field where I was met by probably the happiest child in Eastern NC today. Of course one of his first rituals was to call Saxman to tell him of the good news and a reminder that he loved him. We took a few pictures and loaded up the truck. I felt like I was on top of the world as Tyler called Tina, his Grandpa and several friends as he drove us out of the field and into the clubhouse parking lot. It wasn't long before we were greeted by a couple of father and son / daughters that had given it a try this morning but the fog really messed everyone up. I really feel that if they would have stayed and been a little patience, they may have been successful as well.

I really want to thank everyone for their kindness, prayers, thoughts and just plain being there for us through a challenging time that we will still have to endure but not without God's plan. He is in charge of this whole thing, I just have to let him. Well, Gotta go clean a bird and show Tyler how to make his own tail fan mount. Thanks for listening to me rambling folks, you're the greatest :D

Pictures:

God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
flightattendant100

Re: Youth Day in North Carolina

Post by flightattendant100 »

Congrats,Tyler!!!! Thats a great turkey and a great story.I am sure proud of you.Ray, sometimes God has to give us a wake-up call and let us know that "our" plan is not "THE" plan.Hang in there it will all work out. I have faith in that.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Thank you for letting us share this hunt Ray . :)
That second picture is a good one of you and Tyler . :)
I don`t think your chest could get any more pumped up . :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
munch

Post by munch »

great story and nice bird guys
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Great job Tyler. It's tough to keep your nerves when they almost run you over. Congratulations!!!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Doe Master wrote::) Thank you for letting us share this hunt Ray . :)
That second picture is a good one of you and Tyler . :)
I don`t think your chest could get any more pumped up . :D
Yep, that's my chest sticking out and over my belt :lol: :lol: :lol: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wabi

Post by wabi »

Way to go!!!!!!!!!
Great description of the hunt, and a big CONGRATULATIONS! to Tyler.

Any updates on Buckshot's condition?
wabi
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Ray wrote
Yep, that's my chest sticking out and over my belt .
Ray we all suffer from gravitational pull . :lol:
The bigger the heart the more it pulls sometimes . :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go, Tyler! :P

Way to go, Dad. :)
Grizz
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Man, we cubed up 1/2 of that breast meat and deep fried it outside in the fish cooker and man o man was that fit to eat :wink: . We'll have to see if Tyler can call me one up next Saturday. What a day ya'll, what a day.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
roly

Post by roly »

Way to go Tyler, congradulations

Thats a fine looking bird!

Good job Dad.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great job fellas!! That's a real nice bird you bagged Tyler.
Thanks for sharing your great hunt with us!!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
saxman

Post by saxman »

Boy
What I tell you about killing those birds??????????
Go get um!!!
Congrats you two :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Saxman it's me Tyler. I have been trying to call you since I killed him yesterday. I have some pictures for you too. Happy Easter to all.

Love,

"Tyler the Turkey Terminater"
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray