Bushnell Backtrack GPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

the elf

Bushnell Backtrack GPS

Post by the elf »

Has anybody here used the Bushnell Backtrack--GPS--?
It looks like it is easier to use than some of the other brands with all the bells
and whistles.The price seems to be really good as well.What I want to do is mark where I am
[truck] or whatever and be able to get back there at a later time.
For me simple is better---and reasonable price is even better.
The Chief

Re: Bushnell Backtrack GPS

Post by The Chief »

Yes sir I do have one and use it every time I go to a new place. It works as advertised. I have had a couple GPS before that are no good to me except for paper weights I can't figure them out but this is as simple as mark where you park put it in your pocket if you ever want to get back to where you are mark that spot now you want to go back to the car put it on car and an arrow points the way beautiful and simple just like me.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Never used one but I've used a Garmin Geko for years. It is very simple, cheap and small. Does the basics like back tracking and marking way-points and I think that's it.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bought one when they first came out, and it's all I've used since. Very basic, only stores 3 waypoints, but that's all I need to find my way back to my starting point.
I have a Magellan with all the maps, etc., but it's a bit too complicated for easy use.
wabi
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

got one too. love it!. wish it could save like 6 points instead of 3.nice to just keep in the car. makes wondering around unfamiliar grounds much easier.
the elf

Post by the elf »

Well I now have a new toy--Having fun playing until the rain started in earnest.It looks like it might be the answer for me --gets me back real close--seems real simple to use--very reasonable in price--big buttons for my stubby fingers--uses AAA batteries---shuts down to save batteries in case I forget to turn it off.I have not tried it in really thick tree cover but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.----Thanks for the input and advice.------Elf.
Morangus

Post by Morangus »

I just picked up a Garmin Oregon 550t. It has a +/- of 10 to 20 feet accuracy. The nice thing is I can put in a SD card (4 gig is what I use), and I can store and track all the waypoints I want. Use it to take the kids out Geocaching, and so I don't have to worry about multiple accessories, it has a built in camera that takes very nice pictures (no zoom). I got this primarily because I wanted to start hunting spots I'm not familiar with and see what type of terrain I was dealing with, but also because my son is 12 now and just started hunting with me last season. With him getting older, at some point I'll let him sit alone (when he's 16), so I wanted something where I could mark where we has so I could track back to him later and use it to help put drives on for him. I also like the fact that the camera is built in so if we do get anything in the woods, I can take a picture right on the spot instead of having to drag along my heavy camera or a non-waterproof camera should it rain. Plus I can take pictures of the scenery and take a picture to tag to a waypoint.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day l use a garmin emap there older models but easy to use great for getting your way back to the camp spot has plenty of space for way point storage & cheap these days with all the bells in it you should be able to pick one up for about $50 bucks used, down under l paid $700 10 years ago but got another one just as a spare for $90 we pay more in australia for stuff...frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..