WBH survey results

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NSIan

Re: WBH survey results

Post by NSIan »

Actually Rancid, the Thompson brothers were the first guys in the US to promote archery and BOWHUNTING, after the civil war.

Way back in the late 1800's the two brothers introduced archery and bowhunting to the masses because they had to give up their guns. They coined the phrase BOWHUNTING, and BOWHUNTER. Its in their writings from back then. Look for the book Witchery of Archery, written in 1878. Its all there.

These two brothers also were the founding members of the NAA, back in 1879, with one of them servings as the very first president of the NAA, also known as the National Archery Association.

You can thank the Thompson brothers for archery and BOWHUNTING as we know it today. Your suggestion that Roy Case is the pioneer of bowhunting is wrong.
And if you really want to find your archery roots, then go check out your native americans. They have been bowhunting for many many generations, long before the white man came along.
Nova Scotia Association of Crossbow Hunters.

www.nsach.ca
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

Rancid,
Get your facts straight. Roy Case did not create the Archery season in Wisconsin. He was a part of a much larger group that petitioned the Conservation Committee or the State Conservation Commission, (forget what it was called back then) for a Bow and Arrow only season. Roy Case was a broadhead manufacturer, and had a vested interest in a bowhunting season, as it would increase his sales. Roy Case is more famous for his Case Broadheads and his vast broadhead collection, than his influences in helping get an archery season in Wisconsin.

Roy and his archery buddies did what every other group of archery enthusiasts did back then......hunters were already harvesting deer in other parts of the country with bow and arrow.....they wanted a piece of the action too.

www.nsach.ca
christo

Post by christo »

This whole subject is like that annoying turd that just keeps circling the toilet bowl, but refuses to go down.

Rancid, this self-worship of the mighty WBH is rather nauseating. Roy Case gets much credit for bowhunting as you know it in WI and rightfully so I'd say. But to act like there would be no bow season anywhere without what he did is rather farcical. If not Roy, then I am sure someone somewhere would have gotten it done, maybe the same year, maybe a little later. Roy did a good thing, but he did not do it alone and maybe, just maybe, he had bigger reasons then the pure love of bowhunting. Being the first, doesn't make you the best, nor does it give you extra rights, except maybe in copyright laws!

That being said, I reiterate- At its core, this is not so much about crossbow usage for hunting, its about usage in WBH's... I'm sorry, I meant WI archery season.

Rancid- One easy question that should be clear enough for you to answer. Do you personally believe that a crossbow is a safe, ethical and effective weapon for hunting? If yes, why support the WBH's stance against crossbows? If no, why allow their use by anyone (seniors and medically necessary) in the state?
TPM

Post by TPM »

christo wrote:
Rancid- One easy question that should be clear enough for you to answer. Do you personally believe that a crossbow is a safe, ethical and effective weapon for hunting?

Great question. Pity some WI residents on this site are unable to have a discussion of substance. Thankfully there are non-residents that can carry the mantle for them.

Yes, I believe that a crossbow is a safe, ethical and effective weapon for hunting. My Father is living proof as are the existing state statutes that allow such a weapon for the handicapped and elderly in our state. bstout and jh45gun are living proof. WI changed it's law to allow a weapon such as the crossbow in the archery deer season so that the handicapped and elderly could participate on par with the able bodied. The unique advantages of such a weapon make it perfect for those unable to use a bow and that was a great thing to do.
Let's expand on that. Do you think it's an ethical weapon for younger, able-bodied hunters to use?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
christo

Post by christo »

Not living or hunting in WI, I obviously don't know what kind of hunting opportunities exist for the various seasons (we'll stick with deer for the sake of easier arguments).

Here in PA, the archery season is quite long, with some 'overpopulated' areas allowing doe to be taken as early as mid-September through to the end of January. In between all this are various blackpowder seasons and then the short general rifle season the 2 weeks following Thanksgiving.

I don't own a bow or crossbow, but I have shot both. That being said, I believe that the learning curve for a xbow is much faster than that for a compound bow. I also believe that your average compound bow user would be a fully competent hunter within a couple weeks of leisurely practice where a xbow user maybe ready to hunt within a few days. A compound bow user can become very accurate in a frighteningly short amount of time with today's compound bows. I also believe that an average xbow user and average compound user set side by side at a 30 yd target range would interesting to see . I'd be willing to bet that the differences would be negligible. Now I would bet that a novice would pick up a crossbow and be better with it quicker than a compound bow, but in a month's time you may not be able to tell the difference at a target range.

Rancid, do you envision any scenario where crossbow use would be widely supported by the WBH? Does WI have blackpowder seasons? Seeing as how they are obviously safe and effective enough for seniors and handicapped, why not vote to allow all people to enjoy them in more limited seasons, but not the whole archery season?
TPM

Post by TPM »

It matters not what I think.
Sure it does. Stop avoiding the question.
Allowing crossbows for everyone would be akin to painting every parking stall blue with the handicapped symbol. Sure the handicapped would still be able to use them but so would everybody else removing the provision granted to them.
That has got to be one of the most ridiculous statements you've come up with. Allowing any one to use a crossbow would do nothing to diminish their continued use of cross. Clever jab at the cross hunters though, insinuating we must be handicapped.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

Rancid,

Whats your fathers crossbow set at? Whats his max distance/comfort zone?

Has your father successfully harvested a deer with his crossbow? And if so, at what yardage?

www.nsach.ca
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

No learning curve?
Instant results?

I would suggest your fathers 50 plus years hunting had a major factor in his ability to weild the mighty crossbow.

So, why is it that the WBH has so few members? And whats the average age of the WBH members?

How many bowhunters in Wisconsin again?

www.nsach.ca
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

www.nsach.ca
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

Yup, quite the shooters!!

Imagine....a compound out to 185 yards!!

Who would have thought...????

Not much strength needed to pull back a high let-off bow these days.

I noticed the shooter in one was using a trigger release and a whisker biscuit.....wow.....the skill!!
Sights...a peep.....

Gotta love the advancement of archery these days!

Kinda reminds me of my crossbow.....

www.nsach.ca
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

Concept Archery and the 99% let-off Compound Bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI-r1Rie ... re=related

Wow, imagine the drawback on that puppy!!!

www.nsach.ca
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

Well gee....let me see....if archer A has a 65 lb bow....uuhhhh....uuummmm...oohhh....boy thats a tough one......a little help here????

Awww geee Ron, you got me....

I draw my 60 lb PSE, (all 60 lbs of it) and for about 2 seconds I have all the weight of the bow....then it gets real easy. Thats the joy of compounds....with a 60% let-off I am holding about 20 lbs....With the proper stance and technique, drawing back a compound is not very difficult.

My 15 year old, can draw and hold his 60 lb PSE with ease!
He is an awesome archer!!

Can you tell me how many pounds an archer has to pull when cocking a 175 lb crossbow?

www.nsach.ca
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

Do me a favour Ron, stop editing your posts, to suit your needs.

www.nsach.ca
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

rancid crabtree wrote:
NSIan wrote:Can you tell me how many pounds an archer has to pull when cocking a 175 lb crossbow?
With a crank?

With a cocking device?

By having his son cock it once for him at the begining of the season?

When? hours in advance? :wink:
You wouldn't be avoiding a perfectly honest question would you Rancid? I've noticed you don't like it when your questions are avoided. :wink:

You also danced around another question earlier, Do you think a crossbow is an acceptable weapon for able bodied hunters??
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

Ron, you didn't answer my question.

So, I will ask it again.

Can you tell me how many pounds an archer has to pull when cocking a 175 lb crossbow?

The question is pretty simple, but since you could not answer it the first go-round
Lets assume the archer just uses the muscles the good lord gave him......(...I think thats the phrase you used....)

www.nsach.ca