Wrong length of flemish string?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Paul hunts

Wrong length of flemish string?

Post by Paul hunts »

New to the forum. I just tried to string the p/n 1989 dyna flight string onto my new phoenix crossbow.This string turned out to be 38 inches long and so was two inches too long for my PHOENIX. Strange because this string is advertised as 36 inches long?? There must be two sizes....? Thanks paul
]Monday-- OK, thanks for the quick replies. I did call Excalibur tech support this morning and they said exactly what you guys have suggested here,so I'll get started. Hey are these bows a blast to shoot or what![/u][/u]
Last edited by Paul hunts on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichJ

Re: Wrong length of flemish string?

Post by RichJ »

Im dealing with the same prob with a Excal Flemish string my Equinox. I just put the string on and its upto about 30 twists to get the brace height correct.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

alot of guys are getting the false impression of those strings.. it not a put on and shoot string. You have to twist it alot to get it the correct height. It also takes quite a few shots for it to break in. Mine took a good 100 shots or more to set. When its new, twist it so its about 1/4th inch above the first mark(one towards scope) and let it set for a few days. Then retwist it again so its at the first line. Shoot a few shots and you may have to retwist more

I twisted mine a good 20+ times before it settled right... I didnt count so it could have been as many as 30 or so by the time I was done
Boo

Post by Boo »

The string is made to accommodate both the straight and the limb forward riser of which there is about 1/2" difference. Look at my order form on my website. I want to know where your brace height is. The factory asks nothing yet the string fits both. Nothing wrong with twisting your string a whole bunch. It still works and works well.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

I know I'm VERY glad to see the replies from the guys who have some education on these strings.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Rich, twist your string until you get your brace height and post a pic of the string.
BUS314

Post by BUS314 »

pardon my butting in, but be sure and twist it the right direction also
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
Boo

Post by Boo »

You cannot twist a Flemish string the wrong way and still install it on the bow. It would become unwound come apart.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

I got around to getting a pic of the string. Lets see how well this works. Outof the pkg it seems to be about 2 inches long and a very LOW number of twists. The ends were intact and twisted very well. (everything has ben twisted the correct direction) Im up somewhere about 35 or so twists. This is by far a diff beast than a Winners Choice compound string!

Boo

Post by Boo »

Looks pretty normal.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Thanks thats a load off my mind. I guess With the day off it's going to be a shoot and add more twist's day.. Will increasing the brace height (shortening the power stroke) decrease much shock or sound? Any advantages? I know it will decrease some fps but at the high fps it has, who cares about a few fps.
I'm coming from a world of being VERY anal with tuning 3-D and indoor target bows.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The shooters I respect most for their accomplishments in the crossbow world run their brace height at about one inch. Bill T and Kenny Barr are two examples.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Not really much advantage with playing around with the brace height, alone. Sure, you can gain a foot or two per second or lose a foot or two. IMO, that's not a big advantage. However, gaining a foot here and accumulating other small degrees of positives via lighter fletchings, etc . . .all add up.

You will want to keep the brace height at a distance from the riser to insure the string is still clearing the riser when shot. If the string is hitting the riser, then it will eventually break/damage the string. Look for wax on the riser along with small amounts of string fragments.

The problem I have ran into with the string getting too long . . .there is a point to where you can not twist the string and still be able to put the loop onto the limb. Sounds unlikely, but, I did it. :shock: It could be argued that the loop was too small. You will know when you reached the strings limits, it will bunch up . . .it's ugly.

Simple solution . . .always buy from Boo. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

Yur right Scott! When a string wants to bunch up or twist when it is off the bow it is too long.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

as everyone said, the string is normal... as for different brace heights, ive tried and found a +-3 to 5fps difference... nothing that will help or hurt. I usually just try to keep mine middle way