Hawke Scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

Hawke Scopes

Post by Farmer »

Have been doing a little reading on Hawke scopes. Sounds like it may be the next uprade on my Exocet. Has anyone here used one? Does anyone know of a Canadian source to purchase one? Any and all help is appreciated.
Cossack

Re: Hawke Scopes

Post by Cossack »

PM sent
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
spike

Post by spike »

Farmer,

I have a Hawke scope (with the red & green reticles - I think it is called the SR) on my Vortex. I got it last year from Gagnon Sports in Oshawa.

I very much like it. Not hard to mount and easy to sight in. I especially like the fact that it is shorter than the Varizone and Lumizone.

Spike
ROGER
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have a MAP. I like the Varizone better. The Varizone has better anti-reflective coatings on the rear lens and can be tuned to the arrow bow combination. Those are big a big advantage over the MAP.
don
Some people just like stepping on rakes
secret

Post by secret »

My friend "had" a Map! He got tired of watching me split shafts at all ranges with my Lumi-zone...sold it got a Lumi-zone.....had him splitting shafts at all ranges in 20 min.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

secret wrote:My friend "had" a Map! He got tired of watching me split shafts at all ranges with my Lumi-zone...sold it got a Lumi-zone.....had him splitting shafts at all ranges in 20 min.
It would have been much cheaper for him to have kept his Map. :lol:

I find the Lumizone and Varizone hard to beat. I just want a Lumizone Scope without the luminating part. I rarely use the lumination, but, I like the field of view. I like the less weight of the varizone. So, I have my Lumizone on my Vixen and the Varizone on the Exomax.

Boo . . .I noticed that you switch the scopes around quite a bit. Do they stay zero'd in from bow to bow. I've been thinking about switching the scopes back and forth as I see fit. However, I don't want to go through the motions of having to adjust the scope. Is that needed?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

sumner4991 wrote:
secret wrote:My friend "had" a Map! He got tired of watching me split shafts at all ranges with my Lumi-zone...sold it got a Lumi-zone.....had him splitting shafts at all ranges in 20 min.
It would have been much cheaper for him to have kept his Map. :lol:

I find the Lumizone and Varizone hard to beat. I just want a Lumizone Scope without the luminating part. I rarely use the lumination, but, I like the field of view. I like the less weight of the varizone. So, I have my Lumizone on my Vixen and the Varizone on the Exomax.

Boo . . .I noticed that you switch the scopes around quite a bit. Do they stay zero'd in from bow to bow. I've been thinking about switching the scopes back and forth as I see fit. However, I don't want to go through the motions of having to adjust the scope. Is that needed?
Depends on what you are doing. For shorter distances only minor adjustments are needed. I do switch scopes around but I also have a few bow that I shoot and only switch a couple of them around. The Y25 and the Vortex never get scopes moved but between the Scorpyd, the Exocet 175, the Ebex and the Pheonix they do and the Scorpyd causes the bigger changes of POI. Between the 3 Excaliburs very little changes are needed. I don't swap much until I get another scope. I own several scopes that are not on bows.
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

Has anyone field tested the Hawke XB 30 scope? Are there any reviews out there yet? I know
this scope has only been on the market for a short time, but the silence is beginning to make
me wonder if it's over-hyped.

In the meantime, I have been using the varizone and have found it excellent and trouble
free for the past five years. I would be open to trying the Hawke SR but decided to wait
for the XB30 as it was touted as the first high quality X-bow scope.

Any thoughts? Any opinions? Any real world experience with these?

MJS
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive heard good things about them... but my varizone shoots straight and dead on so no need to change here. All I want is something that lets me see my target and pinpoint a spot to hit.. Varizone does that just fine :lol:

I dont think anyone can go wrong with either scope 8)
Boo

Post by Boo »

Just ordered one from Wyvern Creations in NH. $249.00 plus shipping. I am not into beating up retailers being one myself but no harm in asking, if you don't ask, you don't get.
I'll give a report after I've used it for a while.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Boo wrote:Just ordered one from Wyvern Creations in NH. $249.00 plus shipping. I am not into beating up retailers being one myself but no harm in asking, if you don't ask, you don't get.
I'll give a report after I've used it for a while.
Boo, I will be sitting on the edge of my chair waiting for your opinion on this. I've been watching and listening on this scope since it came out. :)
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The MAP works great on my 365 fps compound, aim points exactly match arrow's trajectory at 20,30,40 and 50 yrds. But I use LumiZones on my Excals because of the speed compensation provision. That way the Phoenix and Vortex hit exactly on at the above distances, while using the same aim point, even though their trajectory differs.
It helps that the MAP's reticule is pretty much like the Lumis, enables me to use the same aim point for a specific distance regardless which bow I'm shooting.
And that's a good thing, for an ole' fart who can't remember such intricacies as which bow he's using. :lol: I do have to remember to use the 405 gr arrow in the Excals and the 430 in the other kind, however.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Got the Hawke XB30. Here's initial impressions.
It is the heaviest of the 3 30mm scopes I own. A good comparison would be my 30 mm Elite 4200 illuminated 1.25X4X24 which weights 2oz less, no big deal but both are heavy to be sure. My favourite scope is my 1.75x6X32 VariXIII (one inch tube) at 10.8 oz. The Leupold has the wides field of view, next comes the Elite and last the Hawke.
Optical quality is excellent! Rear lens gives no real reflection like the rear lens of my MAP and edge to edge image is very good. Still optical quality is noticeably not as good as the Elite or Leupold.
All lines and crosshairs are way too thin for me for hunting. The Elite uses out right bold bars that lead to a fine crosshair and uses a very tiny illuminated dot. The Leupold uses a heavy bars that lead to moderately thick crosshairs. Yes I realize that the XB30 has illuminated aiming points but I prefer as little illumination as possible or none at all and I really like thick posts. Much thicker and longer posts would have made a big difference to me.
I know that the Leupold will still be on my main hunting bow. All in all a great scope and far cheaper than any scope that I mentioned above but the when it comes to scopes I do not cheap out too much but Zeiss and Swarovski are beyond what I will pay.
BTW, the mount that it comes with is a joke. It weighs 6 oz! No need for that weight. I want my postage back! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Here's a link to more comments on the Crossbow Hawke SR
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.