How long have you owned your Thermacell?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Re: How long have you owned your Thermacell?

Post by Pydpiper »

We have 3 kinds here, one is a table top lantern that has been through storms, left out for weeks at a time and has kept us bug free for about 2 years, the other is the "mini", wife keeps it in her van for unplanned trips to the bush, picnics, and simply just to have.
I go through two a year of the typical looking units, kids bought my first one for fathers day 3 years ago along with the "holster" that holds an extra cell and countless pads. For some reason they stop "clicking" for me, not hard to ignite, just no click of the igniter. I use the heck out of it though, and I wouldn't care if I went through 10 a year, I could not live without one, I absolutly do not miss spreading bug repelants on me, and even then, the Thermacell works worlds better.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

Two Thermacell units and each is 3 years old. So far all is well. We use the Mini and I found them for $14-on sale.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

just curious do they work to keep black flies and ticks, horseflies, deerflies
secret

Post by secret »

Just got one.....It is as important as my EXCALIBUR as a tool for hunting! the ability to sit still is its advantage! The last time out turkey hunting...{double bull blinds rule] i was set up 10yrds from a water hole..... i had a great hunt!!!! what a difference a Thermacell makes!!!!! last time there i stayed only 1 hour before bailing out!!! i had 22 bites in that hour... How do the earth scent waffers work?
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Warningshot - they work on everything in my experience. No bugs in the immediate area at all. HEAVEN! :D

We've had ours for 2 years - both the full-size and the mini, so far so good for both models. Both work equally well from what we've experienced. The only caveat would be if there were a strong wind but in that case the wind keeps the bugs down and makes the Thermacell redundant. In moderate wind I place it upwind and it works fine.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Never used one, but a mosquito did bite me about a week ago. Maybe I should look at them!
That's the first bite I've had in a few years, but I use a secret repellent formula I ingest daily. (high levels of caffeine & nicotine) :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i hae had mine for several years now and it is doing the same thing some times it will not light and it will stop clicking after 5 or 6 then i turn it off and start over again it always works in the end .love it but may get a new one this year DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I have had mine for about 4-5 years... still working well, takes a couple of clicks to get it going,,, but it still goes :D

wabi wrote:Never used one, but a mosquito did bite me about a week ago. Maybe I should look at them!
That's the first bite I've had in a few years, but I use a secret repellent formula I ingest daily. (high levels of caffeine & nicotine) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn Mike! thats the same "secret" repellent formula I use :wink: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Sliver on Thu May 27, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

oops double post :oops:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I hunt in wisconsin where we get eaten alive by mosquitos.I never leave home without it.My themacell is 2 yrs old and works great.I bought it after getting eaten alive on a early morning bowhunt.I didn't feel the bites until the next day.People were saying WTF happened to your face? I'm lucky i didn't get the west nile virus! :mrgreen:
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
JRS

Post by JRS »

Off topic, but in the latest Ont. Out of Doors, there is an ad for a product called Insect Defend Patch. I have seen it in the local Walmart. It is a stick on patch that is supposed to be good for 36 hours of insect protection using Thiamine (B1) and your body's chemistry. Supposed to be waterproof too, and good for ages 1 and up.

http://www.insectdefendpatch.com/
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

hey VixChix...last month turkey hunting we were getting attacked by ticks and was wondering if they worked on them as well...i have a themacell but have yet to try it next year i will bring em turkey hunting for sure ....nothing worse than trying to be as still as possible and having to swat at flies

[quote="VixChix"]Warningshot - they work on everything in my experience. No bugs in the immediate area at all. HEAVEN! :D

We've had ours for 2 years - both the full-size and the mini, so far so good for both models. Both work equally well from what we've experienced. The only caveat would be if there were a strong wind but in that case the wind keeps the bugs down and makes the Thermacell redundant. In moderate wind I place it upwind and it works fine.[/quote]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

JRS wrote:Off topic, but in the latest Ont. Out of Doors, there is an ad for a product called Insect Defend Patch. I have seen it in the local Walmart. It is a stick on patch that is supposed to be good for 36 hours of insect protection using Thiamine (B1) and your body's chemistry. Supposed to be waterproof too, and good for ages 1 and up.

http://www.insectdefendpatch.com/
I tried the Defend patch last weekend. I had mosquitoes crawling all over me, but didn't get bit. Although they weren't biting they were everywhere. With having so many buzzing around me I couldn't fight the urge to try to wave them away, which wasn't doing much for my ability to sit still so I turned on my ThermaCell.

My observations on the patch:

I would say the patch worked as advertised. I'm a mosquito magnet. I don't just get bites, I get big WELTS. (Clariton keeps the welts and itching down a bit).

It takes a while to kick in so it's best to put it on a few hours before you need it. It seemed to work for the full 36 hrs that it said it would.

I found that my skin developed a smell that I can only describe as "vitaminy". First just at the patch location, but but then 2nd day it was everywhere. I smelled like a vitamin B supplement - and there is a reason for that since the patch works by infusing vitamin B1 into your system.

I would use it again, but I wouldn't leave my ThermaCell at home if I was planning on trying to sit still.

I imagine it would be handy for sitting out around the campfire in the evenings - would keep you from getting the surprise bites from the stealth mosquitoes. :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

warningshot wrote:hey VixChix...last month turkey hunting we were getting attacked by ticks and was wondering if they worked on them as well...
I honestly don't know, as I haven't seen a tick in S. Ontario while out hunting. I've checked for them, but so far so good.

Does anyone else know if ThermaCells keep ticks away?
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'd like to hear more from people who have used the Thermacell in STEADY WIND conditions.

Here in the land of "First Flight" , where the wind almost always blows, and where the wind has almost no effect on mosquitos (y'all must have weak, wimpy skeeters if they go away when it's windy! :lol: ), I have a hard time believing a Thermacell would make much of a difference.

I depend on my Shannon BugTamer suit for defense ... and they DO work. They were developed in wetlands.

So ... how 'bout it?

Anyone found the Thermacell effective in steady wind? Not breezes!

:?:
Grizz