Have A Blessed Memorial Day

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Have A Blessed Memorial Day

Post by Grizzly Adam »

And a special thanks to those whose sacrifice has served to protect freedom everywhere. :D
Grizz
wabi

Re: Have A Blessed Memorial Day

Post by wabi »

Have deer steak in the marinade as I set here, and plan to light the charcoal grill in a couple of hours. Can't think of a better way to remember than to be able to set back in my own yard and reflect on the sacrifices so many made so I could enjoy life.

I never really think of my service in the USN as a sacrifice. I served during the Vietnam war, but put in my time at a weapons test center in the desert. :roll: It was more like a regular job than a sacrifice.

Dad had a bit different experience in the navy.
He was at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7,1941 and his ship was heavily damaged, but still afloat after the attack. He was a part of the Pacific operations throughout the war.
After the war he returned home, built a business (blacksmith shop - he was a "metalsmith" during the war), married my mother, built a house (where I now live) and provided for his family until his death in 1984. He never talked much of the war, but the same holds true for most veterans who go through those horrors so we can enjoy freedom.

All I can say (with a tear in my eye) is "thanks dad!, and thank you to all those like you!"
I try to be worthy of carrying on the life we Americans enjoy, frequently fall short of my expectations of myself, but keep on "keeping on" to keep the dream alive for my kids.

A pic of dad during his navy days:
CBC.JPG
wabi