Veterans We Remember & Honor Today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Veterans We Remember & Honor Today

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I got this idea from a pic Wabi posted in another thread I started about Memorial Day.

I've taken the liberty (hope you don't mind, Mike ... don't think you will :D ) of starting this thread with that pic on his behalf.

As he wrote of his dad:

He was at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7,1941 and his ship was heavily damaged, but still afloat after the attack. He was a part of the Pacific operations throughout the war. After the war he returned home, built a business (blacksmith shop - he was a "metalsmith" during the war), married my mother, built a house (where I now live) and provided for his family until his death in 1984. He never talked much of the war, but the same holds true for most veterans who go through those horrors so we can enjoy freedom. A pic of dad during his navy days:

And, below are two pics of my dad.

He didn't serve during wartime. He was a sailor aboard the USS Lake Champlain in the late 50's to early 60's, and worked in signaling the aircraft on deck. No heavy action; they participated in the blockade of Cuba, I think, and picked up some astronauts, and did other things ... but it all works together, and it all matters.

So, I remember and honor Rockie Henderson today.

You'll notice that this is not a service pic, but one of him many years later (last spring and this spring), doing what he does best ... Wabi will appreciate that! :lol: :lol: 8)

Thanks, Dad!

Now ... who do you remember & honor today?
Grizz
TPM

Re: Veterans We Remember & Honor Today

Post by TPM »

My father served with the Canadian Army in WWII. Spent most of his time in Halifax as he was married with a young daughter at the time and was therefore low on the list to go overseas. My grandfather was an artillery gunner in WWI. He died long before I was born so I really don't know much detail about his service. My uncle and his best friend signed up for the air force when they were old enough with the intention of becoming fighter pilots. His friend never made pilot school so he trained as a tail gunner and was shipped overseas rather quickly. He was shot down and killed on his first mission. My uncle took a longer with his training and was on his way to Europe when the war ended and luckily he never saw combat.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

My maternal grandfather served in the Canadian Navy during the war. My father ( Old Buck) served in the Canadian Navy as well during the late 50`s early 60`s .
Here is a group picture of my grandfather.
And one of when he came home with my mom and uncle .
I don`t have any pictures of dad downloaded in uniform . But here is one that is just as good .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

My dad was in the Army,7th Cav. during WWII.He was in before Pearl Harbor,the troopers refered to this as"old cav".After war was declared they had to dispose of their horse before they could go overseas. The horses were sent to Fort Polk,La.This took a while as there were so many.He then went to Austrailia with the forward detachment to set up a base of operations for those to come.dad fought all during New Guinea campain and the Phillipines.He was wounded (broke his back in multiple places)near Manilla.He got to come home in early '45 I believe. He had received a battlefield commision and several medals(a bronze star and a purple heart that I know for sure)Dad didnt talk much about his service. He was very proud of it but didnt talk of it much.He told me once that he didnt want it to sound like he was glorifying war,because there was not one glorious thing about it,It was just horrible.He also said that those that talk the most usually did the least.
The Cav. had a reunion every year with every forth year being at Fort Bliss in El Paso where they trained.We always tried to make those.I have met his Army buddies and they are a very close bunch.They had all saved the others bacon more than once.Most of the stories were the funny ones. Very seldom did they talk about the bad. I think that most of them still couldnt talk much about it. It was that painful.
One of dads Army buddies wrote a book after he retired about his experiences during WWII,and sent mom a copy.Man I tell you they didnt teach that stuff in history class.Dad passed away in '91. My mom is still kicking, although not very high. She will be 92 years old in July.Both of my folks were truly part of the "Greatest Generation" and I owe them many thanks.