NY crossbows flopping once again????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sits in trees

NY crossbows flopping once again????

Post by sits in trees »

i just watched the taped ny senate committee hearing on wether to allow x-bows and here is a link for anyone interested..

http://www.nysenate.gov/event/2010/j...vation-meeting

starts at 23:27 and you have a guy/committee speaker who speaks about how the crossbow is not a bow and a poachers weapon and is more like a rifle and will shoot 100 yds, and in my amazment there wasn't a single person there to dispute this complete and total hogwash???
the committee head then stops him and goes on to say that there is a huge show of support for the crossbow in NY with e-mails, calls and letters at record amount and more letters and e-mails in support of this than any other bill they are currently viewing?

oh and the NY bowhunters had there guy spewing his usual BS at 10:43 and stated that currently there are already laws in effect for handicapped individuals to use a crossbow in ny, what a laugh. then he brings up the PSE tach-10 and how this thing is built on a tactical stock and is deadly to 100 yds, then states how it takes no skill to shoot a crossbow etc, etc.

then to round up the hearing the head of committee stated there is a huge amount of support for this bill you just gotta gets some folks here to move this bill??? what the heck isnt there 1 or 2 single hunters in this state that would go and show up for this and speak up to these people? NY bowhunters are there spreading the usual lies without anyone to there to stand up for the vast majority of NY hunters who do want the option to use crossbows.

well when this comes up again i'm going and i'm looking for someone in this huge state that will come and back me up....any takers????
Riflemanz

Re: NY crossbows flopping once again????

Post by Riflemanz »

We have the same loser group here in wisconsin called the WBH agains't crossbows.I'd donate to peta before joinimng their group.Hope you guys win!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

They have changed the bill to accommodate NYB and made it useless. I thought this was the year. It makes me sick.

The bills are A00924C and S6793-A

S 4. Subdivision 16 of section 11-0901 of the environmental conserva-
33 tion law is REPEALED and a new subdivision 16 is added to read as
34 follows:
16. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY INCONSISTENT PROVISION OF THIS ARTICLE, THE DEPARTMENT MAY, BY REGULATION, AUTHORIZE THE USE OF CROSSBOWS BY ANY LICENSED PERSON IN ANY BIG GAME SEASON IN WHICH THE USE OF A FIREARM IS PERMITTED.
Get out & Enjoy.
liaf

Post by liaf »

I didn't think it would pass this year but if this amended bill passes at least its a small step in the right direction. A journey begins with that first step so hopefully this will get the ball rolling. If passed I will be using my excal during rifle season in 6K this hunting season.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

Sit in Trees,
Your link didn't work for me. Here it is again.
http://www.nysenate.gov/event/2010/jun/ ... on-meeting

I will go. The outright lies that Senator Marcellino and NYB spew need to be challenged. The NYB speaker stated that NYB represents "all bowhunters in NY state". Oh really? Senator Marcellino is a NYB puppet on the committee.

I have a bow set up with a drawloc and an Excalibur Phoenix. I'd love to do a show and tell for the NY Senate Committee on Environmental Conservation. We could prove most statements made by NYB and the Senator as false.

This got me going today, so I called and emailed every member of the committee to let them know that their inaction wasn't acceptable. Getting the hunters of NY stirred up to act on this important issue is key. Letters and emails to newspapers have been sent. The committees hottest issue for 2010 is going to get hotter soon.
Get out & Enjoy.
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

bstout wrote:In my opinion most State archery organizations greatest fear is that gun hunters come to the realization they can kill a deer using a crossbow with little to no training. This is their greatest fear is to have "gun hunters" armed with crossbows in their deer woods during their archery season.

In other words, once *gun hunters* realize they could archery hunt during archery season without taking night classes on archery, they'll show up at these hearings and vote yes for crossbows.

We need the majority (gun hunters) to back crossbow hunting in order to beat these folks who believe their own lies.
hey whatever it takes...
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

bstout,

Thanks, that is an excellent idea. Use their own words against them. What a great way to turn the tables. I just posted the following on an outdoor forum in NY.

Calling All Gun Hunters

Would you gun hunters like to have more deer hunting time each season? There is a bow that some call a riflebow because it is similar to a gun. It has a stock, is held cocked and fired by a trigger just like a gun. It doesn't take much practice to get good at it. It's the perfect hunting tool for gun hunters that want to spend more time in the woods each year, but don't have time to practice a lot. Sounds good right? Simply show support for crossbows in bow season and you can double your deer hunting time. Just let your legislators know you want crossbows for everyone in bow season. It's that simple.
Get out & Enjoy.
wabi

Post by wabi »

bstout wrote:There should be a compound/crossbow archery season since the two weapons are so much alike and the stick bow folks should have a 10 day season after the regular archery season is done since they're more like a muzzleloader (more primitive archery).
Bob,
Not sure of your actual intent with that statement, but it holds a lot of truth!
I no longer am physically able to hunt with a "stick bow", but did hunt that way (only) for many years.
The stick bow is very effective, and uses the same broadhead(s) to do the actual killing, but is much different than either a compound or crossbow. Accuracy is (for "instinctive" archers, anyway) dependent on the shooter's personal ability and constant practice to keep that ability "honed to a razor's edge"!
When I hunted with my longbows and recurves I practiced almost daily - year 'round! With a compound or crossbow that dedication is not necessary. You can shoot 'em every day if you like, but you can also hang 'em up at the end of season and forget practice until a day or two before the next season if you prefer. It doesn't require the same dedication to become "hunting accurate" with a compound or crossbow IMHO.

In actuality, I would be willing to see a "traditional only" season set aside for those archers with that "dedication toward perfection" before the "modern" archery season which would include compounds and crossbows.
A "primitive" archery season of a week or two, then a "modern" archery season wouldn't be a bad idea.

BTW - I've never understood why "primitive" (muzzleloader) season is not before regular gun season. Here in Ohio there is a short "special area" season for muzzleloaders before gun season, but it is limited to only (4 I think without looking it up) a few small areas statewide. By the time the very short "primitive" season rolls around most deer are already so pressured they are in full alert/nocturnal activity mode, and most hunters have already filled their tags.
wabi