Thinking of and Praying For Arkansas Flood Victims

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Thinking of and Praying For Arkansas Flood Victims

Post by Grizzly Adam »

What a tragedy ... swept away while camping and relaxing. :(

http://www.examiner.com/x-31031-Provide ... res-videos

'Shucks, what are you hearing about this?
Grizz
awshucks

Re: Thinking of and Praying For Arkansas Flood Victims

Post by awshucks »

16 deceased and 20 missing. 7 kids under 10 in the 16. Terrible state of affairs. That campground is located in the mountains on the Little Mo. river. 2-3 feet normally in the deep pools.

Rain in the mountains in these parts runs off rapidly w/ no place to 'soak' in. The creek on my property will be unpassable for a spell during and after just an inch or two of rain.

They got 6-8" w/ way more mountain drainage than me. The river rose 23' in a few hrs. in the middle of the night. The Ouchita [Wash-it-taw]River starts in the road ditch a bit west of me. My neighbors across the highway can't get in or out for days at a time w/ heavy rain.

I've never been to Albert Pike even though it's close. Local kids play in the creek across the road from me turning rocks over for crawfish bait in a stream that just a trickle and two hours later it will take a dump truck off a driveway or low water bridge.

That would be due to a 4-5' rise, now imagine 23'. Spect I'll learn more at church in the a.m.
"Eze 18:21"
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Such a tragedy. All those kids that just wanted to play. So sad. I can't imagine the grief these families are going through. :( Awshucks, could you keep us updated please. Aging
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

agingcrossbower wrote:Such a tragedy. All those kids that just wanted to play. So sad. I can't imagine the grief these families are going through. :( Awshucks, could you keep us updated please. Aging

Here's a LINK to a local forum that's chock full of links. The 13th post by rlawry has a link to a blog that is very telling photo wise.

Edited to add: Just heard from a family member. An EMT that was on scene told him it's up to 32 bodies recovered, news is being held up locally probably for next of kin notification.
"Eze 18:21"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Smaller scale incident near me, but just as sad. Two young boys (brothers - ages 8 & 11) went to look at the rain swollen creek and disappeared. They found the younger one about a mile downstream and the other one in the first lock on the Ohio river below the creek.
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news ... eldahl-dam
Our area is at the point where the ground is saturated and it doesn't take much rain to flood the creeks. Looks like rain for the next few days ahead, too.
Glad I live on a hilltop!
wabi