Newbie in need of advice for arrows for moose hunting.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lupien

Newbie in need of advice for arrows for moose hunting.

Post by lupien »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here...well Ive been watching for a while, but now I finally bought myself an Excalibur Exomax. I`m pretty pumped about it too!

So the plan this season is to try Moose hunting in Northern Ontario with x-bows instead of rifles like we usually do so I want to make sure I am well prepare and have the right arrows and broadheads for the job. I don't want to just injure an animal due to my negligence..

So I bought my Exomax used, but still is brand new cause it never actually was used, but it is maybe 2 years old. It came with the "right stuff" kit that includes 6 Series 22 Gold-Tip arrows (360 Grains) and 6 "The BOSS by Wasp" 100 grain broad heads (1 1/8" with 3 blades).

How well would this work for moose? Should I get heaver grain arrows or broadheads? I hope not cause these are still brand new and never used so it would feel like a waste but if you all recommend it I will for sure.

I also plan on purchasing a small game point like the Judo for the odd Grouse I might encounter so it would be nice that everything stays the same height so the scope can stay zero-ed in if I use either or.

Thanks in advance

There will be more questions to come :)
Last edited by lupien on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
bdog

Re: Newbie in need of advice for bolts for moose hunting.

Post by bdog »

Those will work,but I would prefer something heavier,the least you could do would be to change the front inserts to some heavier brass ones.....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
lupien

Post by lupien »

Ok thats an idea. Although I don't mind changing just the broadheads. I was basically hoping I didn't have to change the broadheads and the bolts too cause after this purchase cash got a little low...
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There are a lot of benefits to swapping those aluminum inserts out for brass ones, it is easy and inexpensive as well.
If you try to get more weight by going with a very heavy broadhead you will find it difficult to find a matching judo or other random head.
Brass will provide more penetration in to big game and the arrow flight will be more consistent in inclement weather.
Happy hunting!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
lupien

Post by lupien »

Ok Thanks.

Well that makes sense keeping broadheads light so when I use the Judo, or whatever small game tip I get, I can get the same grain.

So then this brings me to a new question....

- How do you get the inserts how of there without damaging anything? I searched online and people say to heat them, other say NEVER heat them...

- How can I tell what the current insert I have is. Looking at the manufacturers website (http://www.goldtip.com/prolaser2.htm) I see 31gr in the bottom right, so I assume thats whats in there correct?

- What specific insert would you guys recommend?

Sorry for all the questions... Just want to learn as much as I can from you guys that actually know what your talking about and not salesman from my local stores...which are clueless it seems.

Thanks
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The threading inside the insert is an industry standard, they will be the same. It does not matter which brass insert you choose, as long as it is the right one for the shaft. I lke to get lots at the same time so they are identical.
There are a few threads about how to get the old insert out, but I can break it down for you with no pictures.
You need to find a long bolt that will thread in to the insert (some guys use a field point for this), apply heat to the bolt (NOT THE SHAFT)with a torch, being very careful not to overheat the carbon, gently pull on the bolt as it warms the insert through the transfer of heat. In my experience the glue holding the aluminum insert in will let off a small puff of smoke at that magic moment. It is a delicate balance of having enough heat to break the glue down and yet not getting it so hot that you damage the carbon shaft.
Once it is out you can clean the inside of the shaft with sandpaper or a brass brush. I typically don't clean it, just a Q-tip.
Have your new brass insert ready, apply your glue of choice and slap it in!
Voila!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
lupien

Post by lupien »

Thanks Pydpiper. That seems pretty straight forward to do. Searching online I found a bunch of different inserts and also the little weights you can screw in between the insert and tip. Thats pretty cool and probably an easy way to had a bit of weight up front if necessary,

Now I just need to do more looking around to see what insert I need/should get and if the extra weight are necessary or not.
Normous

Post by Normous »

If you need some brass GT II inserts or just an add-on to your factory aluminum inserts (20-45 grains) just send me a PM.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

bdog wrote:Those will work,but I would prefer something heavier,the least you could do would be to change the front inserts to some heavier brass ones.....
Those GT at 360 already have a brass insert. If you feel a heavier broadhead is needed, Excal makes one (150) and so does Slick Tricks (175)
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
lupien

Re: Newbie in need of advice for arrows for moose hunting.

Post by lupien »

The manual that came with the box says the kit as 6 GT arrows 360gr. I was wondering, when they say 360gr does that include the 100gr BH too? Or is the arrow itself 360 + 100gr tip = 460?