Max distance you would try a shot for moose?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lupien

Max distance you would try a shot for moose?

Post by lupien »

Hi,

This will be my first year hunting moose with a crossbow (Exomax) and I want to know what is the maximum distance you guys would attempt a shot? When a practice at home at 50yard I hit my target pretty much right on, maybe a 3" spread in my arrow placement on the target. I can do the same at 60 yards but I have a feeling this would be too far for a kill assuming the arrow must be travel slower from that far when it reaches the target.

I just want to know what you guys think. I really don't want to over do it in the bush and just injure an animal. I know obviously the closer the better but i still need to ask..

Thanks
Cossack

Re: Max distance you would try a shot for moose?

Post by Cossack »

Me too, occasionally much tighter. BUT, targets don't move, have big bones ....or give you the jitters, for that matter. That say, I'd think of how CLOSE I could get rather than planning how far to shoot. I'd be much more comfortable SHOOTING out to 30 yards. Now, as for being that close to a big bull.....NOT comfortable, I can assure you. (Have had cows as close as 10 yards, them is BIG animals!!)
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
lupien

Post by lupien »

Wow 10 yards is very close! That might get a little scary! Don't want to be like this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUder0flL5c) haha.

I will try to get as close as possible for sure. I`m just asking in case you get in a scenario were the moose is 50 yards away, you have a perfect clear shot at vitals and can't get him to come any closer... do you take it, do you wait in case it come closer which it might not, or do you let him go and try again later hoping you see another one or get a new opportunity with the same moose later?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Cossack wrote:Me too, occasionally much tighter. BUT, targets don't move, have big bones ....or give you the jitters, for that matter. That say, I'd think of how CLOSE I could get rather than planning how far to shoot. I'd be much more comfortable SHOOTING out to 30 yards. Now, as for being that close to a big bull.....NOT comfortable, I can assure you. (Have had cows as close as 10 yards, them is BIG animals!!)
Ha ha ...... I have had many moose closer then 35 yards (usually not moose season or no tag for that mooose :twisted: ) Actually I have had 3 moose where I could have touched them and actually did poke one bull in the nose with my 308 (was deer hunting) and yes they are very large when they are that close :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for what distance, it would depend on many things. Your comfort level, accuracy and the arrow/head combination you use. Yes you can be accurate out past 80 yards with these crossbows but if your not confident or have a comfort level shooting at 50 yards, then I would not even take a 50 yard shot. A lighter arrow/head combination will give you a flatter shooting window, but at the further distances, your arrow will loose more KE (which is needed for penetration).

Next is shot placement, A chest on shot would require more KE then a broadside shot. I shoot a 150lb Relayer (orginal), 2216 +100gr heads, and limit myself to 45 - 50 yards for a broadside shot. When I first went I would not take a chest on shot at any distance, but now after hearing reports from others with a simular setup, a chest on shot at 20 yards or less would be OK for me. Remember that when I say chest on, I mean slightly off center, a little on the quartering side. Remember that moose is not like deer, they do not react as quick as deer to sounds or movement and just seem to not have that fleeing traits that deer have.

With the Max you have, if your comfortable and confidant (know that your arrow will hit where your aiming) out to 60 yards, then a shot at that distance on a standing broadside moose should be OK. A chest on shot out to 30 yards would give you more then enough penetration for a good clean kill. If using a heavier arrow/head combo, another 5 - 10 yards might be possible, but closer is always better unless the moose is about to sit on your lap :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
lupien

Post by lupien »

Thanks Tom. That was very informative!

I do feel very confident with my shot at 60 yards and will keep practicing till season starts at distance of 40 to 60 yards. However I do know this is worst case scenario and will do everything I can to avoid shots that far. I would be very happy with 30yds or so shot.

Now your description of shot placement got me a little confused when you say "a chest on shot". Does that mean the moose is facing you? I always thought there was no way a crossbow could take such a shot successful? I thought with crossbows you could only (or should) take a shot broadside and quartering away.

I assume some people also do quartering towards but that seems to be a little tricky to do with all those shoulder bones.. I know i`ll probably avoid that.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Yes when I said a chest on shot, I was talking about facing you directly. This is a very worst case type of shot. You know they teach you that when they are walking toward you, to let them come until they turn and give you a broadside shot, well a moose is quite different them most animals. IF a tree is in their way, they might just push it over, rather then turn and walk around it (not every time, but they are known to do that). If I have a choice, I will not allow a moose that close to me, walking towards me at 15 yards with my bow (if I have a tag) they will feel the point of my arrow entering the chest. Now remember, not dead center of the chest, you want to be a little off center to avoid the thickest of the bone.

I had also believed that the chest on shot would not work well with my setup, but have talked with a few successful hunters (almost same setup as me) with chest on shots. Two had full penetration of their arrows (@ about 15 yards) which the third was @ about 20 yards and had about 3 -4 inches of the arrow still sticking out. These were all with 2216 or 2117 + 100gr heads and 150lb Excaliburs.

As I said above, chest on is a last resort. If the moose has decided that it is walking your direction and does not seem to have any thoughts of another direction, then at 15 or 20 yards with your bow it will give you full penetration. I believe that half an arrow penetration would cut lungs.

It would not matter how much power your bow has, a shoulder bone has been know to stop bullets let alone an arrow. Stay away from the shoulder area and all large bones.
Tom
lupien

Post by lupien »

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. I wouldn't want to moose to come any closer then 15 yards really. Its a good thing to keep in mind, but like you said, obviously a last resort thing only if you feel its getting a little too close.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I went on a post rut moose hunt to Alberta a couple years ago.

I was good to go to 60 yards.

Since this was post rut and they had a 30% winter die off the winter before seeing moose was tough. Calling one in was a no go.

We stalked to within 72 ranged yards of a small bull and the guide wanted me to shoot as it was apparent that was as close as we were going to get.

I declined and he wasn't happy..The videographer wasn't happy either..he had a TV show riding on it... Too bad..

I spent 12 days away from home and a full 10 days chasing moose and came home empty handed..

That's hunting....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
lupien

Post by lupien »

Nice. Good call on your part i`m sure. 72 yards is pretty far.

I like hearing these stories. Lets hear more of them! :)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I think a record size Bull Moose was taken using an older vixen model like mine. Don't know the whole story but if i had a good clear shot on standing Bullwinkle i felt comfortable with my shooting i would do him in! Fer me i can handle 50 yds on a Moose cause they are really big!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

40 yards should be no problem for an xcal .if i had to take a front chest shot on a big old bull the best bet would be to shot him in the throat just above the briscit it is soft and the arrow will burry all the way in to the chest and mnost likly make him a new vent .trying to put an arrow in the chest on ether side of the briscit is asking for a deflection .the higher shot is a much better option you can feel the soft spot above the bone it is the same plce you would stick a beef cow on a kill floor streght in lots of blood to follow ..if i were going on a mooses hunt this year and i may be doing just that if things work out i would be talking to some of the guys on this fourm and having some arrows made up with good brass inserts and lummanoks added to them most likly i would be shooting the 150 g broad heads from xcal bolt cutters .for deer i like the rage two blade but mooses heavey is better my 2 cents DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

imo...40 yards is my max and everything would have to be perfect, wind/weather etc .. i can hit 3 inch spread as well on a target at 60 yards but i owe the animal a perfectly place shot... a live animal is totally different than a target bag
lupien

Post by lupien »

warningshot wrote:i owe the animal a perfectly place shot... a live animal is totally different than a target bag
Thats a fair point to keep in mind!
Tom

Post by Tom »

dutchhunter wrote:40 yards should be no problem for an xcal .if i had to take a front chest shot on a big old bull the best bet would be to shot him in the throat just above the briscit it is soft and the arrow will burry all the way in to the chest and mnost likly make him a new vent .trying to put an arrow in the chest on ether side of the briscit is asking for a deflection .the higher shot is a much better option you can feel the soft spot above the bone it is the same plce you would stick a beef cow on a kill floor streght in lots of blood to follow ..if i were going on a mooses hunt this year and i may be doing just that if things work out i would be talking to some of the guys on this fourm and having some arrows made up with good brass inserts and lummanoks added to them most likly i would be shooting the 150 g broad heads from xcal bolt cutters .for deer i like the rage two blade but mooses heavey is better my 2 cents DUTCH
In my opinion the neck shot is not that good of a shot and here is my reason why. Most moose hunters I know (archery and gun) hunt from the ground as this will give them extra opportunity to move if necessary to reposition in front of the moose. If your on the ground, squatting or sitting, this will mean your arrow will be on an upward trajectory into the moose just to get above the brisket. This take the arrow away from the lungs and only gives you the main artery in the neck for the kill, not that good of odds for me. To the left or right of center brisket IMO will give you better odds. Not all but most deflections of arrows are from extreme angles or from heads that are a short profile, wide head. This will cause the blades to make contact before the point of the head starts to track into the animal, which causes the blades to push the point away from the aminal. not to track into it.

At 15 yards, square on, the chances of a deflection from a shot slightly off center (3 - 6", just enough to miss the main mass of the brisket) are very slim. Now if your in a tree stand, high up and shooting down, then yes the neck cavity shot would be better as the arrow will still have the lungs for a target. When using an arrow, I believe that lungs are the best target for moose.

Good luck (hoping to get a bull tag this year to take my 79 year old dad on a possible last moose rut hunt)

PS ........ I also believe that lighted nocks are a great thing to have. Arrows do have a tendency to disappear in flight against the black body of a moose limiting your knowledge of where the arrow hits.
Tom
lupien

Post by lupien »

That lighted nocks trick sounds like a pretty good idea. I didn't think they made any for crossbow arrows but i`ll look into right now. I was planning on getting a florescent orange wrap though or something similar.