Max distance you would try a shot for moose?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Re: Max distance you would try a shot for moose?

Post by awshucks »

pm sent a day or two go, did ya get it?
"Eze 18:21"
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

I hunt moose with an Exocet 200 and last fall called in a 2.5 years moose at less than 10 yard.Shot it side way in the lungs.Just the fletching was showing .If you don't see the moose fall in front of you , give a 2hrs way before getting on his tracks.Moose are tought animal and walk may yards before falling down.If the arrow hit a bone on the opposit side and don't exit,it will act as a plug and won't bleed much.
Was shooting Lazer II arrow with 100gr.Wasp 4 blades
My set up for next fall will be 2216 Easton Legacy arrow ,4" vanes with 110gr brass insert and 125gr Thunderhead fixed blades.
Moose1
---------Chasseurs et Pêcheurs du Québec----
http://chasseursetpecheurs.actifforum.com
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/momo7132/LOGO/chasseur_pecheur2.jpg[/img]
lupien

Post by lupien »

awshucks wrote:pm sent a day or two go, did ya get it?
Yes I just got it. Thanks. PM'ed you back.
lupien

Post by lupien »

taureau noir wrote:I hunt moose with an Exocet 200 and last fall called in a 2.5 years moose at less than 10 yard.Shot it side way in the lungs.Just the fletching was showing .If you don't see the moose fall in front of you , give a 2hrs way before getting on his tracks.Moose are tought animal and walk may yards before falling down.If the arrow hit a bone on the opposit side and don't exit,it will act as a plug and won't bleed much.
Good tip thanks. It must make it pretty challenging to track it if the arrow "plugged" the hole.
doublelung911

Post by doublelung911 »

Archery for Moose is different than gun hunting, you will be calling during the rut, When the Bull responds he's coming, Hide yourself well and he will come right to you. Most good shot's are under 20 yds. If he does come in nice and close and busts you, It's almost as good as taking one. Have Fun and good luck.
They're there if you can get em'
lupien

Post by lupien »

Yeah that will be awesome. I do hope we get a Bull but who knows... I know for sure though that we will get a Cow tag for sure because we are a group. I hope we can call them too but I know they don't respond to that as much as a bull would...
marv

Post by marv »

At 60-70 yards and the moose is sideways ready to leave in the dense bush. SHOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!This mite be your only chance in years buddy. With limited tags available every year in Ontario what do you have to loose??? really. Unless the moose is your uncle.

I've hunt moose for 15 years with my family witch they have 45 years experience each killing every single year. Letting a moose go away at 60-70 yards would be a huge mistake....my new Equanox crossbow arrow travels at 350 FPS, at 60-70yards i have a had time removing my arrow from the target box. This simple indecation tells me i have a great chance of killing a moose sideways. Hamme higher thats all.

Moose dont hag out in fields or your front lawn all the time,once it enters the bush there is a very good change you'll never see him again.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

marv wrote:At 60-70 yards and the moose is sideways ready to leave in the dense bush. SHOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!This mite be your only chance in years buddy. With limited tags available every year in Ontario what do you have to loose??? really. Unless the moose is your uncle.

I've hunt moose for 15 years with my family witch they have 45 years experience each killing every single year. Letting a moose go away at 60-70 yards would be a huge mistake....my new Equanox crossbow arrow travels at 350 FPS, at 60-70yards i have a had time removing my arrow from the target box. This simple indecation tells me i have a great chance of killing a moose sideways. Hamme higher thats all.

Moose dont hag out in fields or your front lawn all the time,once it enters the bush there is a very good change you'll never see him again.
sorry, but i think this goes into the "bad advice" pile :wink:
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'll take a 60 yard shot on a Moose any day but not beyond. Only broadside, using a heavy arrow (500 gr+) and with a cut on contact broadhead that is not too big. Last year in Alberta one of the guys stuck one with a 70 lb compound at 20 yards and the 30" arrow buried itself to the fletching. The caller was 30 yards beyond the shooter so he got a perfect broadside shot.
Put a HHA Optimizer and Bob's your uncle! I was shooting with mine that is on a Vortex yesterday at 60 yards from a bench and was getting 2.5" groups with target points.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

lupien wrote:That lighted nocks trick sounds like a pretty good idea. I didn't think they made any for crossbow arrows but i`ll look into right now. I was planning on getting a florescent orange wrap though or something similar.
Both Lumenok and Firenok make lighted nocks. They're cool to shoot but when the Lumenok burns out after about 40 hours, they're done. The Firenok has a replaceable battery that cost in the $3 range. But they are a PITA to assemble if you ask me.

Both will perform well for you I'm thinking.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4