Ground Blind Clothing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichJ

Ground Blind Clothing

Post by RichJ »

I was looking into getting some new camo this year. I have been a big fan of Scent Blocker and the White Water scent control clothing. I have fallen in love with the Advantage Timber pattern. This is the 1st year using a ground blind and a Excal vs using a climber is areas that look like a jungle with a compound. I have taken a LARGE number of Whitetails over the years. I'm well aware its stand placement and movement more than the pattern itself. While looking for new Camo on Cabelas I'm seeing all black clothing to blend in with the black inside walls of the blind to mask movement. Any views or comments on this from people who do alot of ground blind hunting?
Meat Hunter

Re: Ground Blind Clothing

Post by Meat Hunter »

Since the interior of most ground blinds are flat black and I am sitting in dark the shadow, I wear black so that I will blend in.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I like the predator camo.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

My ground blind has the blk in it. Last Fall i had a Doe watching me as i watched her & she could see something in the blind. I am sure it was the camo as my face /head was cover with blk face mask. This yr i will be wearing all blk when hunting out of my blind
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

RichJ wrote: I have been a big fan of Scent Blocker and the White Water scent control clothing.

All scent control clothing that utilizes a carbon based medium is worthless. Not my opinion, scientific fact! The recent Scent-Lok litigation has all the manufacturers franticly running to the printers to have new propaganda printed to keep them from losing lawsuits as did Scent-Lok.

Activated carbon will absorb odors. It starts doing so the minute it is exposed to air. In the case of hunting clothing, that is usually in the store showroom where it sits until you buy it. It continues to absorb airborne particles that carry "scent" until it reaches a saturation point and that happens fairly soon dependent upon what environment you subject it to. To "reactivate" a carbon based medium you will need to stick it in your oven and bake it to reach the temperatures required. Your clothes dryer isn't going to do it.

Manufacturers of scent control clothing have perpetrated one of the greatest marketing frauds since magic elixirs were sold out of the back of wagons pulled by horses. :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

I also wear black or very dark colors inside my blind that has a black interior.

I also tried another "trick" to avoid detection last season. I also have a tree stand covering the food plot/feeder area I hunt, so I can observe deer from it, too. I noticed deer ignored the blind when it was empty (windows zipped closed), but often when I was in it with the windows open they would watch it carefully, and often avoid it as they entered the food plot. (The blind stays there year 'round. :wink:) I decided it must be the sudden appearance of gaping "black holes" in the otherwise camo landscape. :lol:
A couple cans of flat black paint and the blind soon looked like this -
blind n stands 001.JPG
I only got to hunt for a month or so last season because of illness, but in that time I shot 1 deer from the blind and watched several I passed on, and none gave it a second glance as they entered the food plot!
That blind is about shot now (leaving them out permanently takes a toll), but I have a replacement ready for late summer setup, and I've already set it up in my garage and painted the windows (and let it air out well).
wabi
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

I use ground blinds for turkey and deer when I want to get an hour ortwo in before work. I used to get all dressed up but recently have just been wearing my work clothes whatever colour they may be and have not really had any different experiences from the days I wore black or camo. It gets me a bit more time in the blind because I don't have to change etc. before work. Shot a turkey this year wearing blue work pants and an orange T-shirt.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Wear black.

If you're shopping for jackets, see if you can find one with a black liner so you can wear it inside out in the blind. Find a reversible toque & face mask - camo on one side and black on the other.

I usually wear black under my camo. On the coldest days I'll bring along a black fleece blanket which I can drape over my shoulders or across my knees for extra warmth. My fav toque and face mask are double sided so I can just wear them inside out if I decide to hunt a ground blind instead of a tree stand.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Camo thong. If it sunny I will bring my sunglasses too.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
secret

Post by secret »

Black for turkeys.....Black for deer....thats if you got a Double bull!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Ninja Up!!!! I wear my black base layer stuff,black hood and gloves,and a black cap. Looks kinda like leotards.I am sure that our landowner thinks I am a total nut case.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Well hell! I guess I have more then enough black hoodies and black fleece gear around. This post just saved me about $200 :D
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

I believe this is great way to make blind look the same all the time. I just built a blind (after using my Dog.H.) and made the window areas look open or closed all the time. Never thought about painting Dog H. Great idea!
wabi wrote:I also wear black or very dark colors inside my blind that has a black interior.

I also tried another "trick" to avoid detection last season. I also have a tree stand covering the food plot/feeder area I hunt, so I can observe deer from it, too. I noticed deer ignored the blind when it was empty (windows zipped closed), but often when I was in it with the windows open they would watch it carefully, and often avoid it as they entered the food plot. (The blind stays there year 'round. :wink:) I decided it must be the sudden appearance of gaping "black holes" in the otherwise camo landscape. :lol:
A couple cans of flat black paint and the blind soon looked like this -
blind n stands 001.JPG
I only got to hunt for a month or so last season because of illness, but in that time I shot 1 deer from the blind and watched several I passed on, and none gave it a second glance as they entered the food plot!
That blind is about shot now (leaving them out permanently takes a toll), but I have a replacement ready for late summer setup, and I've already set it up in my garage and painted the windows (and let it air out well).
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Pydpiper wrote:Camo thong. If it sunny I will bring my sunglasses too.
:lol: :lol: My first chhoice as well but if it's not available I wear all black inside my ground blind. :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
jacktar

Post by jacktar »

Everyone is right black everything inside the blind. I've got a dog house blind and last season I went as far as spray painting the limbs of my old exocet. When you look in from the outside you can't see a thing. Having said that I just bought a new exocet 200 and can't paint it, it's just too dog gone pretty. :lol: :lol: :lol: