Freezer burn.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

whateverworks

Re: Freezer burn.

Post by whateverworks »

Hey hikerman, nothing against the vac. sealers, they do work great, but there has to be something up with your sausages. IF, it's wrapped properly, they should last from one season to the next without freezer burn. The heavy brown paper works great, that's what we've allways used and we butcher all our own stuff as well as sausage, burgers etc. If it's wrapped loose or you use cheaper paper there will be problems. We ran out once a couple years ago while cutting up a couple deer and the the only paper we could find was small rolls at the local grocery store, it was white, seemed kinda thin and didn't work as well as it should have.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Whateverworks, the butcher said that the paper should be find. These are made by Mennonites the pork added is organically grown.

Think next year I will seal them.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Keating

Post by Keating »

Frost free freezer, by any chance?
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I bought a Foodsaver sealer two seasons ago. It wasn't an expensive one, but I'll never go back. I use the rolls or bagging material to make custom sizes for everything from sausage to roasts. I've never had a freezer burn issue. But then again, I never have any venison over 9 months old either.

I even take the scraps I would normally toss out and put them in 1 to 2# packages in the freezer as well for dog treats. Its 96 degrees here today and my dogs really enjoy a "doe pop". :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Yup, frost fee freezer.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I have a recommendation for you folks....

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/Va ... ystem.aspx

Nifty bit-o-kit here. Very simple to use. Produces great results. You don't have to dig around and lug out the machine and get geared up to do just one quick bag. The bags are in the pantry and the $5 plastic pump is in the drawer. :mrgreen:

You have to buy the special bags, but they are not much more than a regular ZipLoc bag.

I save money with the stupid thing and nothing spoils in my fridge nor the freezer.

Buy in bulk- package and store. That could be block cheese for example. Pull it out of the fridge, cut you a hank, quick seal it back and store it back. Bags are re-sealable. Vegetables, herbs, whatever could wither from being exposed to air, or anything that could absorb odors from other things in fridge.

I used to freeze fish in water, too. Taught to do that. Not anymore.

As an avid surf fisherman- aka The FishinMortician, I catch alot of great tasting fish from the sea. Pompano, whiting, red and black drum, sheepshead, etc. The fish frozen in these bags will beat the same fish frozen in water. The water saturates the meat and destroys its delicate flavors and its texture. Most people who don't like fish don't care for the texture, so it is important.

If you just fry your fish, you may not care, but we eat alot of fish, and can only take fried fish so many times. She demands something else and I listen- cause life is simpler that way. So I taught myself to bake fish, broil it, and our hands down favorite way- blackened. The difference in texture and taste is very evident. The bags thaw faster, too.

She refuses to clean my fish....but hey at least she lets me go fishing.

I still use the machine, but only for large red meats. I buy large tenderloins and believe it or not, it works out to be cheaper than buying T-bones and porterhouse, and sirloins and stuff at need- at the store. I cut them into six steaks, and package with a double seal method. Then thaw them out and pan fry- then grill them. She gets the edges and I get the middle. :mrgreen:

There are many things that will benefit from being stored in these little bags. Doesn't matter fridge or freezer, I think you will become fans of these.

BTW- when you freeze things, plan for the thawing process. Spread the stuff out some instead of a large wad in the middle. Thawing goes quicker and the outside doesn't get warm before the inside loosens.

BTW2- whoever recommended them Forschner knives- thanks. I bought a boning knife and two fillet knifes and they work great. Love them.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex