Vortex

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigbuckonly1

Vortex

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Thinking about getting the excalibur vortex, just wanted to see how many of you are using them, & how you like them, how accurate at different yardages, all the input I could get would really be helpful. Thanks very much.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
one shot scott

Re: Vortex

Post by one shot scott »

A buddy of mine has that model and loves it, but rest assured that no matter which one you buy you will like it, just a choice on thumbhole or not, and every excal is equally accurate.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME Bigbuckonly1!! Image
I haven't heard of anyone NOT lovin' their Vortex. Nice bow!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Sully_pa

Post by Sully_pa »

I love mine ...... very accurate at all yardages ....Well I've only gone out to 50 8)
[b][size=150]Sully[/size][/b]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

vortex ain't that some kind of weather thing ? :lol: Thar be a few on here that likes 'em, too much poundage fer me in there later yrs
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Finding just the right bow takes some figuring. You don't want to buy this bow when you really should have gotten that bow instead. Even though lots of folks do just that.

If you want really specific advice- post up some things about yourself. Are you strong, are you older, are you tall or are you short, do you think you will shoot it alot or will it be mostly just for hunting. All these need to be considered, and folks here can help with that.

I chose the Vortex, but it wasn't easy. Extremely accurate, hard hitting, and I can cock it without any problems. If my arrow does not strike the bullseye at forty yards, it was me. If my arrow does strike the bullseye at forty yards, it was still me.

I recommend that you watch the DVD instructions very carefully. These bows can hurt you. The secret to safe handling and proficiency is to develope a routine. As with vertical bows, doing everything the same counts. Try to avoid any distractions, and don't get in a hurry for the first several huindred shots. My routine is- cock the bow, switch on the safety, raise the bow, load arrow. I try not to get distracted during this.

It might even be a great idea to get some sticky notes and put them on the inside of the limbs where you can see them just prior to shooting. Lable one THUMB and the other ARROW.

Some folks don't like the thumbhole of the Vortex. I have heard of troubles reaching the safety and some other things mentioned. I enjoy the thumbhole stock, and am glad I went with it. It helps me steady the bow, even though this might not be good technique.

Get extra arrows and a bag target. If the fingers on the rope cocker come away from the rail, post up and folks will tell you how to remedy that. There are several specialized components that I added to mine to make it special, and these were- custom Boo strings, Groundpounder quiver mount, and an STS (NGSS is what I actually got ).

Good luck on your decision process. Take your time and ask questions. Try to purchase from a reputable dealer (ask) as they will be there after the sale. Some will set the bow up for you and mount the scope, etc.

Good luck and I bet the UPS driver won't get there fast enough.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

My first Excal was an Exocet which I owned for many years without a single issue.
Last year I decided to move up to the Vortex and I absolutely love it!! :D
It's plenty powerful and DEADLY accurate at all yardages.
I have heard of people having trouble reaching the safety with the thumbhole stocks but I don't have any trouble at all.

Good luck deciding on which bow to buy and have a TON of fun once you get it!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
garys

Post by garys »

WELCOME Big buck only1.
I have a vortex and I love it I will be 70 next month and have no trouble cocking it.
I guess it depends on the person, I tryed a equinox but found it a little to hard to cock.I shoot carbon firebolt arrows with 150gr boltcutter broadheads.
Very accurate out to 50yds never tried beyond that,Just have to pay close attention to everything before shooting.
Good Choice. :) :)

WELCOME Big buck only1.
Garys