Next problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Next problem

Post by Boo »

I feel like a dude on a dude ranch! :shock: LOL! Thanks Cavedtip for your advice, good stuff!
I was there trying to clean up the fence row pulling vines and clearing with a weed whacker. Some areas there are apple trees but there is so much brush that the deer cannot access the apples. I was grossly disappointed with the Troybuilt Brush Cutter. http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 1_55009_-1
The land is pretty uneven so I can't see anything else but a weedeater style tool to do the job. Sometimes the fence line is below and sometimes the same level and then there are bushes I want to leave alone. Can anyone suggest a gas powered tool that will cut down heavy weeds, brush and vines?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
the elf

Re: Next problem

Post by the elf »

Hey Boo-----go to your nearest tool rental spot and rent a
walk behind bush hog.They cut a swath about 24 to 30 inches
wide. It might just do the trick.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I forgot to say that about 20% of the stuff is woody stemmed.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Don, this should do it. :D

The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Their called chain saws a Stihl or Husky will work, :lol: Rent a small back-hoe & pull all of the junk up put in pile & burn it!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

Maybe the weed eater was the proper choice from the way you describe what you are trying to clear out. But if you were attempting to clear it with a string head you were trying to cut down redwoods with a butter knife. You need a serious head for taking out serious brush. You also need a really good "eater" to begin with and not a wally world bargain "eater."

Here is a link where you can look at some good brush heads that you can put on a stihl brand eater. They can make fast work of stuff including saplings up to two inches in diamerter (thats 5.08 centimeters to you feriners, lol.) :D

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/blades.html

You have to be really careful with these things cause when you start throwing the serious stuff on the ends of them you best be knowin what you are doing.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have a 4 stroke Ryobi weed-eater with a blade attachment that will eat through anything, looks like a horizontal skill-saw blade that is mad at the world.
You are welcome to it anytime, fairly light, and delivery fees are covered. it isn't used around here anymore. It has a chainsaw head for reaching up (I think) and the regular "string" head as well. You can get small (12"?) tillers and lots of other stuff that bolts on too, may be a bit of help around there.
Also, to get started I can show up with tractor/bush hog in tow, there is no path that I can not break. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

carvedtip wrote:Maybe the weed eater was the proper choice from the way you describe what you are trying to clear out. But if you were attempting to clear it with a string head you were trying to cut down redwoods with a butter knife. You need a serious head for taking out serious brush. You also need a really good "eater" to begin with and not a wally world bargain "eater."

Here is a link where you can look at some good brush heads that you can put on a stihl brand eater. They can make fast work of stuff including saplings up to two inches in diamerter (thats 5.08 centimeters to you feriners, lol.) :D

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/blades.html

You have to be really careful with these things cause when you start throwing the serious stuff on the ends of them you best be knowin what you are doing.
I think I see some props for a horror movie! Thanks again Carvedtip! For giving me more places to spend more money! LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: I think the steel brush knife is the ticket but looks like I have to buy another whacker!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Simply the BEST. The EXCALIBUR of brush saws :D

http://www.stihl.ca/downloads/2010%20Ca ... nglish.pdf
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have the old model FS85 with metal cutter & it does the job on brush & saplins 2 & 3" thick. I don't force just let it eat away & few seconds its cut though
Half Bubble Off BD360

wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't have an answer for you Boo, but I had to chuckle at a memory this thread brought to my mind.
Years ago I worked for a lumberyard. We had an employee that hated physical exertion (a.k.a. - lazy). The boss told him to weed eat the weeds around the barn on the lot (an old wooden barn we used for storage). He piddled and stalled for hours (had to get fuel, had to take a break, had to adjust the weed eater engine (a huge gas powered weed eater with the "bycycle" handles). Finally the boss screamed at him to "get your a$$ out there or you're fired!"
He took the weed eater with the saw blade attached and proceeded to completely remove all the weeds and brush from around the barn! Matter of fact, he trimmed so close to the barn he actually removed the bottoms from several of the old siding boards! :shock: Actually sawed them off with that weed eater & blade combination! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It worked! He didn't get fired and he never gat told to weed eat again. :roll:

BTW - I cleared the feeder area, food plot edges, shooting range, and several trails where I hunt yesterday - used the landowners John Deere 650 & 48" bushhog. :wink: :lol:
wabi
Keating

Post by Keating »

You'd best be advised to take PydPiper up on his offer.
A tractor mounted, PTO driven Bush Hog is going to do the job.
If you're going to get a tractor with enough power to run one, then take PydPiper up on his offer and save your money to buy one. If you plan to get a lighter duty tractor like a BX or a smaller B series (under 25hp or so), you probably won't be running a very big Bush Hog on one of those, so if you already have an ATV, maybe think about getting an engine driven Bush Hog. It's got it's own engine to drive the blades, but it tows like a trailer rather than a ridgid mount like a 3-point hitch, so it's much less manoverable....more difficult to back it under a low string of barbed wire to clear around fence posts.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Oh, and "+1" on Cossack's recommendation of Stihl. Definitely the Excal of the powertools world. Find a good local Stihl dealer and make friends.
if you intend to get a chainsaw, and I can't imagine any property owner without one, get yourself something like the MS260. Their numbering scheme is kind of odd, where sequentially you'll see 230, 240, 250, 260, 270, etc.
The 260 is the bottom of the "Pro" line, but it's lighter and more powerful than higher numbered models in other lines (270, 290, etc). It's the defacto "go to" saw if you're cutting any amount of wood for heating, or anything more than "occasional" use.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Keating wrote:You'd best be advised to take PydPiper up on his offer.
A tractor mounted, PTO driven Bush Hog is going to do the job.
If you're going to get a tractor with enough power to run one, then take PydPiper up on his offer and save your money to buy one. If you plan to get a lighter duty tractor like a BX or a smaller B series (under 25hp or so), you probably won't be running a very big Bush Hog on one of those, so if you already have an ATV, maybe think about getting an engine driven Bush Hog. It's got it's own engine to drive the blades, but it tows like a trailer rather than a ridgid mount like a 3-point hitch, so it's much less manoverable....more difficult to back it under a low string of barbed wire to clear around fence posts.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Oh, and "+1" on Cossack's recommendation of Stihl. Definitely the Excal of the powertools world. Find a good local Stihl dealer and make friends.
if you intend to get a chainsaw, and I can't imagine any property owner without one, get yourself something like the MS260. Their numbering scheme is kind of odd, where sequentially you'll see 230, 240, 250, 260, 270, etc.
The 260 is the bottom of the "Pro" line, but it's lighter and more powerful than higher numbered models in other lines (270, 290, etc). It's the defacto "go to" saw if you're cutting any amount of wood for heating, or anything more than "occasional" use.
Thank you. I've owned a Stihl Farm Boss and have just bought a Stihl this morning with a metal blade. :mrgreen: I can't use a bush hog because I have to be articulate with what I cut.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

articulate is that a word fer being more movement involved with the action of the reaction to the said action or What ? :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

Boo

Post by Boo »

vixenmaster wrote:articulate is that a word fer being more movement involved with the action of the reaction to the said action or What ? :lol:
Mike, yur a punk! LOL! I don't want to cut the berry bushes, apple trees (and saplings), and other browse.