Canning---meat

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

the elf

Canning---meat

Post by the elf »

Help please--could someone please tell me which books to get---and where to get
them---so I can teach myself to can my own venison. Also if you could tell me which
brands and models are the most idiot proof [me] and give the user the least amount of problems.I am wanting to try to process all my own meat and I think Canning might be the
easiest way to do it--and the least expensive.-------------But I am open to other ideas and suggestions.----Lon. :?: :?: :?:
wabi

Re: Canning---meat

Post by wabi »

Good video Bob!

I canned venison for the first time last year.
A great way to preserve it!
This year I will do most of it with Bob's recipe - meat, salt.
That way I can season it to suit the mood of the day when I open a jar. :lol:
wabi
Rich

Post by Rich »

Bob,

What kind of recipes do you use the canned meat in. Eatting it right out of the jar just doesn't sounds all that tasty.

Rich
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Simplest it to saute some onion, garlic, mushrooms,if you like, (I use wild ones, eg sulfur shelf, oyster shell or honey shrooms ) mix in two cups of prepared gravy (brown gravy mix in packets-cheap)add the meat and serve on cooked noodles. Kind of like sirloin tips...only better :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
the elf

Post by the elf »

Thanks Bob----a lot of good information on there.------Lon.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I agree with bob on bread with gravy is awsome....but I cook mine with land run seasoning made right here in Okieville no msg no sugar or gluten.
http://www.landrun.com/about_us.htm
I put 1/2 tbl spoon to pint and a full tab spoon to a quart. 90 min at 10-15 psi and let me tell you.. its awsome right out of the jar on crackers with cheese even cold Boo.
I even psi cook my fish with land run and ketchup Owe my its awsome..

.and NO i dont have stock in the company or know anyone affiliated with them..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

Hoss wrote:and NO i dont have stock in the company or know anyone affiliated with them..
i can vouch for him on this one.

thats cause he tried hittin on Mary Sullivan tellen her he has this all tricked out FJ and he wanted to take her "for a ride" but she flat out turned his ugly self down.:lol:
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

What is the shelf life of this canned venison?
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

carvedtip wrote:
Hoss wrote:and NO i dont have stock in the company or know anyone affiliated with them..
i can vouch for him on this one.

thats cause he tried hittin on Mary Sullivan tellen her he has this all tricked out FJ and he wanted to take her "for a ride" but she flat out turned his ugly self down.:lol:

Im still upset about that. :roll: .but the only reason you know is because she turned you down too.

Riflemanz the shelf life is an easy 2 years..the rule is keep it in a cool dark place and when you open a jar it should still be im a vacum. If it smells good it is. If it smells bad it is. simple enough. BUT it doesnt seem to last long we eat it up.. :wink:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Riflemanz wrote:What is the shelf life of this canned venison?
I believe I've seen a suggestion of 2 years as max, but I doubt it will be around that long after you taste it. :lol:
I opened a jar of "corned" venison I canned last November yesterday, and I'll say it improved with age. Of course "corning" is highly spiced, and if I didn't know it was venison I couldn't have told it from beef in taste. (the lack of fat is a good clue in its appearance though)
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yes Mike is right it is lean. my daughter has grown up on venison and trying to get her to eat beef is hard. she loves the lean venison. Ive sent some jars to college with her and her and her roomate destroy it, they love it on crackers. I love beef but she cant handle the greasy after taste and film in her mouth...Its so lean you can look in a jar after cooked and cooled and hardly see any white grease balls. If it was beef it would be loaded..It doesnt last..I have some buddys that come down from yankton south dakota and roundlake minnasota every year to go spoon bill fishn. I had a jar in the camper one day they were there. I opened it and the aroma filled the camper. YUM that smells good. we all jumped in and at some with beer and crackers and cheese. well to say the least I have sent seasoning and recipes up north to them and its been a hit. I love it..they love it..you will too..good luck elf
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hoss wrote:yes Mike is right it is lean. my daughter has grown up on venison and trying to get her to eat beef is hard. she loves the lean venison..........
She sounds like my son, Hoss!
He was 8 or 9 years old before he would even eat a hamburger, but he would scarf down a platter full of venison backstraps before I could get a second helping since he's been old enough to eat table food. :lol:

I have to open a jar of canned venison when he isn't home if I want to get a fair portion for myself. :roll:

The corned venison I opened yesterday was while I was here alone. :wink:
I had it with crackers, cheese, and a salad for my lunch, but my felt guilty enough I saved half of it for my son & wife. Not sure the wife got more than a taste, though. :lol: :lol:
wabi
the elf

Post by the elf »

When you add salt--is it regular [iodized] salt or the canning salt that was mentioned
earlier? My wife just rolls her eyes when I mention the possibilities of doing this---
but she is not a great meat eater anyway--I am hoping this might make things more
tasty and interesting for her.---------Lon.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

The u tube video said to use canning salt and not iodized.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
wabi

Post by wabi »

I might also add that I DO NOT sterilize the jars before pressure canning. As suggested in this link it's really unnecessary. If 75 minutes (canning time for pints) at appx. 240°F doesn't kill bacteria, we're in trouble! :lol:
wabi