setting up blinds early

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichJ

setting up blinds early

Post by RichJ »

Is it really a MUST to leave your blind set up or out for days before hunting a location? I'm mainly hunting wooded and thick jungle like cover. South Eastern PA. My main prob is someon walkin off with the blind and sun fading. 100 percent it not being there when I return will happen. I know with something new being set up may spook a few Deer. Hell sometimes brings them in for a closer look. If it needs to be set up before hand what about cutting a section of plywood the shape of the blind with some camo and leave it set up so "something " is there. If this idea is any good, wouldn't take much to then cut the wood in half and put a hinge or 2 on it to transport it and set it up.

Work with me here I'm a climbing Treestand Hunter!
gogo

Re: setting up blinds early

Post by gogo »

I had my brand new ground stolen last year, so this year Im going to make a couple of ground blinds made of straw bales. They wont steal that, gives you another option to think about.
secret

Post by secret »

I never set my Double Bull up in advance.Winds change everyday, a preset blind hunted on the wrong wind is surely going to be avoided from that point on.[all that work for nothing] Surprise attack works for me every time.[downwind that is]i have found that placing blinds in heavy cover between bedding and feeding areas works best. [saplings or small trees or heavy brush or old apple orchards . get on the side of the trail[downwind] and get close.A good blind will do the rest.Hunt where YOU have the advantage not the deer.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I would open the blind up several days before season opens to air in yer yard. Then opening morning i would set it up where i wanted to hunt. All they do is become alert & or causious when they see it
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive never had great luck with a blind and really cant stand them since I miss he field of view from a tree stand. I only use mine with my son or on a must hunt rainy day..

Ive set mine up 2months in advance and on the actaul day of the hunt and havent seen a difference. Deer here always know something is there. Ive had the best luck sitting it up midday and hunting that afternoon. Atleast you can surprise a doe. If I set mine up ahead of season, they deer just avoid it during season. Thats brushed in and etc. Maybe Va deer are weird, but they walk right up to the things on TV in other states. Friends have the same experiences here with them. Most use them once and thats about it.

the logical thing is to set it up and let them become use to it... but thats if you dont have spooky deer LOL
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Exactly why I bought a head to toe leafy camo suit. Just a couple of branches on the ground in front of me and I can set up anywhere the wind is right.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
BUS314

Post by BUS314 »

I think it depends on your deer's past experience; I've had some come within touching distance and never look at it--whether a new plsacement or been there a month. Other times I've seen them hang up 50 yards out staring and go around :oops: :roll:
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse