slick trick 175 first impressions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

slick trick 175 first impressions

Post by gerald strine »

I had a chance to shoot the slick trick 175 grain heads last night compared to the bolt cutter 150 grain heads I shoot a Equinox/fire bolts and all shots were at 20 yards.
With the bolt cutters I shoot about an inch to the right of my field points and that was also the case with the slick tricks this will most likely increase as the yardage does.
The slick tricks grouped as well as the bolt cutters but offer an extra blade and more length per blade for more blood loss .
I here a lot about F.O.C here and while I have no idea what my F.O.C is with ether set upi did balance one of each on the edge if a file and the extra 25 grains shifted the balance point by 1/2 inch.
Both heads are very well made but I feel better the the bigger cutting surface and will be hunting with the slick tricks this year.
As a side note the slick tricks come with matching field tips witch i did not know when I placed my order I bought a 12 field tips I did not have to.
Some one will most likely ask this I ordered from Bowhunters Superstore in P.A.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Hillbilly

Re: slick trick 175 first impressions

Post by Hillbilly »

I also bought the 175gr. x-bow tricks. I put them on Easton power bolts. I had been shooting Excalubur fire bolts with the bolt cutter broad heads. The Bolt cutter broad heads were grouping two inches to the right of my field points as you stated. The 175gr. x-bow tricks grouped low right. The Excalibur shaft and broad head weigh 418.4 gr. while the Easton shaft and X-bow tricks weigh 480.4 gr. I do not know what speed I was shooting to start with and definitely do not know where it is with the new set up. FOC on the Excalibur shaft and broadhead is 12.2% and the Easton shaft and x-bow trick is 16.3%. I will have to play some more with this set up to know whether I have gained anythin or not. One thought I already have is to put the 175 gr. tricks on the Excalibur shafts. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Cossack

Re: slick trick 175 first impressions

Post by Cossack »

"Does anyone have any thoughts?" (re broadhead options)

FYI I'm shooting 125 Slick Trick mags on GT Laser II's with 110 gr brass insert, Blazers and Firenock= 434 gr, FOC well over 18%. Get me 340.4 fps* (6 shot average) Fly/kill great

* From major brand 175 lb pull weight compound
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!