Ground Blind deafness

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

Ground Blind deafness

Post by MarkMarine »

With nigh on 24000 topics, chances are I am not introducing a new one. However, I think it noteworthy so will wade right in. I use to absolutely love sitting in a treestand - but the simple fact is I am no longer physically able to climb them.

I do not have the property to employ a ladder stand (which I could negotiate). So a ground blind is my only feasible option.

I have successfully used a ground blind on both deer and turkey. Yet, in that success, I have noticed the role of sound. In deer hunting, the blind itself tends to muffle noise made by my movement as well as bolt release. In my limited experience, the deer do not "jump the string" anywhere near as prominently as they can when that same arrow is released from a treestand out in the open.

Yet, by the same token, calling deer/turkey in is marginally diminished because the sound waves themselves are somewhat dissipated/misdirected by the ground blind material. Furthermore, just plain old hearing what lies beyond the blind is also reduced noticeably. I have spoken before of the "deafness" when it rains within one. Some blinds also tend to have significant wind noise.

Of course, that is why it is called "hunting" and not "killing": we have limitations we must work through or with. However, a wise hunter seeks every possible advantage to better aid him/her in the hunt. So I ask does anyone have any practical suggestions that would help overcome the sound limitations?
bob1961

Re: Ground Blind deafness

Post by bob1961 »

maybe one of those hunters hearing aids you see on tv that amplifie sounds..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Mark, this may not answer your question but I have always believed that noise is noice,,,,,period. I think that the sound of our equipment bothers "us" more than the game that we persue. I was raised in an area and generation that employs the use of hounds to get the deer out of the southern thickets into open areas where a shot is possible. When I was a teenager, Dad had bought me an 870 pump and I was hunting with it for the first time. My heartbeat was increasing as the hounds got closer and closer and then I saw his antlers as he came sneaking through some of the thickest mess that the lowcountry of South Carolina had to offer. He was sneaking trough and at steady clip and was about to hit an opening that would afford me a good shot at 60 yards. However, when I clicked off the safety he put on the brakes and slid into the opening and looked directly at me but it was too late. 1 load of 00 buckshot took him straight down and he was done by the time that I had gotten to him. My point is the even with the roar of a pack of beagles, a strong wind and the deer making his own noise slipping through the brush, he heard me click the safety off at that distance. I geuss what I am trying to convey is a deer is going to hear a light "thump just as well as he is going to hear a loud "Thaaawack!!!!!" from our crossbows. I think that we, my self included, do what we can within reason to quiet our bows as it make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside but the truth be know, the deer will still hear it. We just have to learn to read the deers body language and determine when the best time to take the shot is. I really don't thing that a ground blink will decrease the sound enough that a deer won't hear it. He may not know exactly where the noise came from but if he's close enough the it souldn't matter. I hope that this has made some since.
BTW, I have not welcomed you to the forum and would like to take this opportunity to do so. As a Marine, have you spent time at Parris Island, MCAS Beaufort SC or up here at MCAS Cherry Point or Camp Lejune? Anyhow, welcome sir :wink:

God Bless,

Ray
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Bob, much thanks will see if I can squeeze a nickle or two to get one (hopes my Tinnitis won't interfere).

Ray, thanks for your observations as well. They can sure hear me a lot better than I can hear them LOL Thanks for the welcome. I was what we call a "Hollywood" Marine: in other words went to Bootcamp in San Diego in lieu of Parris Island (Platoon 3031 to be exact LOL). I have never been to any of those bases EXCEPT Camp Lejuene, NC. I was stationed there in 1978 with 3/10 and 2nd Recon. NC is a beautiful state - in fact, I just moved away from Murphy last Novemeber. HOWEVER, I do not care for the ants in the east nor the scorpions in the west...I seem to attract both :P
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I grew up in the lowcounrty of SC only about 2 miles from the air station in Beaufort. Right now I live half way between Cherry Point and Lejuene. My father in law lives in Jerom MO which is near Saint Roberts :wink: . We may bump into each other before it's all said and done :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Ray, look forward to it:) Have bow - will travel :D
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I open a bit of the window near me to call out of - and I don't call much. As far as not being able to hear as well, I keep reminding myself that I'm only responsible for responding to what I manage to SEE.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I carry a piece of camo fabric in my pack that is about 8' long and 4' tall. I use this as needed when I set up on the ground. The fabric is a lot lighter than a ground blind and can even be run through the washer with scent free soap at the beginning of the season. The down side is that you have no protection from the rain.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Good thread. I must say that as a tree-stand hunter who last year acquired his first tent-style ground blind, I too am having a tough time adjusting to the "deafness", as well as to the "blindness". More often than not, my deer refuse to follow the playbook and step out in the dangest places :roll: .
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Simply get rid of the blind. :lol:

I usually just find a tree on higher ground, if possible, and take a seat. I like to have some cover like a small bush or something to break up my outline.

Hearing is important and I don't have much left either. I see more when I can hear it coming and be prepared for it when it arrives. Whatever it may be, in most cases it's a squirrel.

Staying in the blind . . .just call louder. Most of us deaf people are probably calling louder than we think we are anyway. The game can hear better than we give them credit. So, it all evens out.

When it's raining, it is loud in the open woods too. AND, the deer are silent . . .it's all about staying alert and hoping to see them while it's raining/wet.

Enjoy the blind and don't worry about the little things. :D

Welcome to the forum!!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Vix, I agree that I can only be responsible for what falls in my line of sight. However, a little advance warning would be nice. Think of it like being in a treestand and having ONLY a shooting lane or two cut...but all you can see in that stand is what comes onto and into that shooting lane AFTER they stepped out. That is where hearing comes greatly into play...to be able to hear and prepare for what is heard. It's why I get what I call a Squirrel Headache...I am so intense on capturing sounds without and distinguishing what is captured because my eyes cannot see as well as if I were in a treestand....and trying to filter out a 1000 flaming squirrels gets the old noggin pounding after awhile LOL

Bob, I have tried that myself. However, I have not found a piece big enough to camo my kids fidgeting around :X

Ninepointer, I second that emotion.

Sumner, Thanks for the welcome back. Yes, I have leaned against many a tree in my time. But, doing so where I am at has produced no results (whether the wind, the setup, or just karma lol). A blind offers advantages such as a protection from the elements. I cannot tolerate cold on my replant, but in bow season in Missouri it has been bikini weather in the woods anyway...of course, I do not think the world could tolerate me in a bikini LOL
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

MarkMarine wrote:....It's why I get what I call a Squirrel Headache... (snip) ....and trying to filter out a 1000 flaming squirrels gets the old noggin pounding after awhile LOL
Squirrel Headache! I love it! After my most dismal last season of seeing exactly zero deer (from a tree stand, no less) I definitely had one of those headaches!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

MarkMarine wrote:Bob, much thanks will see if I can squeeze a nickle or two to get one (hopes my Tinnitis won't interfere).

Let me know how that electronic hearing aide idea works out for you. I have tinnitus too & was looking at some the other day wondering how well they work (or don't).

As far as getting in & out of a tree stand; I had read where you have only one arm....is that the only reason you can't get into a ladder stand? I get in mine while holding my M-14 in my right hand during gun season & I'm right handed.....getting fat too. Maybe you could get a local fabricator to make some adjustments to a ladder stand that has a shooting rail by installing a trapdoor in an expanded sheet metal floor that the ladder leads to & get a hunting partner that can assist you in assembling & putting it up; I'd imagine there's more than one young 'un out there in need of a mentor that could fill the gap & you'd be helping each other so there'd be no reason to feel like a charity case. Knowledge is valuable.

And before anyone asks - yes I gun hunt with an M-14 sporter that I had a bush barrel installed onto. It replaced my SKS which replaced my Marlin .30-30 which replaced my model 94 .30-30! heck I might even go back to my SKS, that has been the best all around rifle for the Arkansas countryside, perfect ballistics for whitetail, semi-automatic, easy to clean, rugged as a mule & you don't mind pushing briars out of the way with a $79 carbine :mrgreen:
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Brenjen wrote:
Let me know how that electronic hearing aide idea works out for you. I have tinnitus too & was looking at some the other day wondering how well they work (or don't).

Brenjen, I do have a set of Pro-Ears I use to target/sight-in my rifle. They work well if you can tolerate muff-style hearing aids. Thy pick up the sound of leaves very well - and do not inhibit normal voice. They can get hot in the summer (and early bow season) but during your Arkie rifle season will have the benefit of providing some protection against the cold.

However, back to those flaming squirrels. They give me a headache without the Pro-Ears, but with them? It kicks into a Nutcracker Waltz! ALL I can hear are the squirrels LOL I would presume that those who use the Game-Ear style must surely suffer the same effects. I do not know.

I will add this, NOTHING blocks out the tinnitis. All we who suffer from it can do is not focus on it...for to focus on that incessent ringing too long makes you want to take an ice-pick and poke a hole in your eardrum just to quiet it! I do try and avoid tickling my canal with one if I can. I have my left one ruptured from a mortar blast already...and it STILL rings (maybe that's why it does LOL).
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

Our gun season ends loooong before it gets cold here, if it ever does. I was picking ticks off of myself in January a couple years ago.

And no, I don't like muff style anything on my ears & truth be told I probably wouldn't deal well with an in the canal type game ear either.