Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Brampton Mike

Re: Can anyone ID this snake?

Post by Brampton Mike »

It looks alive too me...BOOM BOOM...there now i can identify it...it's a DEAD snake! 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

groundpounder , sumner you misread what i said :roll: ....i used to breed them, not breed "with" them....you guys crack me up :lol: ...........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
TB

Post by TB »

Red Rat snake is another name for corn snake. Corn snake comes from when farmers had outdoor corn cribs and rats and mice would be in the corn cribs. The rat snakes would be there to feed on the rats. As planter said look at the distinct marking on the top of the head
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

Pydpiper wrote:I just pulled it from someones basement, not sure if it is an escaped pet or a snake native to Here, south west Ontario.
About a foot long, pinky size in diameter. Didn't strike when I grabbed it, but wound around me pretty darn quick.
Thanks!

here is one of my eastern milk's see how it is the same as the one pictured....

here is a beter pic of a milk snake....

here is a corn snake....

black rat snake baby....

see how they all look alike but are not the same, the rats snakes have a smaller neck compaired to milk's....look at the color of the milk snake i have then the OP pic which is a bit darker picture though it looks like..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

I trust a breeder more than my own internet experience with milk snakes but the color seems to be the one thing you can't go by. I've seen & handled corn snakes that look exactly like the one pictured. I can't see the head well enough to judge that, but the color of both snakes seem to vary greatly. With today's reptile market a corn snake could turn up anywhere so location is irrelevant.(I've seen & handled tons of corn snakes in my day but I've only seen pictures of the milk snake)

edit- if you notice the milk snake doesn't seem to have the same black outline on the spots as the corn snake & to my earlier question...IS the milk snake a constrictor too?

The head would definitely seem to be the key in identification.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Brenjen wrote:edit- if you notice the milk snake doesn't seem to have the same black outline on the spots as the corn snake & to my earlier question...IS the milk snake a constrictor too?
I'm sure if no fangs it will choke you to death :lol:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

Here is an easy way to determine if a snake is a milk snake or a corn snake.

Put one milk snake and one corn snake in a terrarium together.

Leave both together overnight.

In the morning there will only be one snake in terrarium. And it will be a lot fatter then when you left it.

The one left is the milk snake. :D :D :D
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

carvedtip wrote:Here is an easy way to determine if a snake is a milk snake or a corn snake.

Put one milk snake and one corn snake in a terrarium together.

Leave both together overnight.

In the morning there will only be one snake in terrarium. And it will be a lot fatter then when you left it.

The one left is the milk snake. :D :D :D

Very true.

I kept, for one night, a pair of juvenile milk snakes. Come morning I only had one FAT one remaining. I knew there was a chance of cannibilism. :oops:

Yes milk snakes are constrictors. They belong to the same family as king snakes (lampropeltis). They are very good at what they do.

As bob said look at the head/neck of the two. The head of a milksnake is almost the same size as the neck. The cross section of the two are also different. Also the scales on a milk snake are always smooth whereas a corn snakes scales may be slightly keeled giving them a rougher look/texture.

Although I have never bred either of them I do have experience with both. I worked for two years at an exotic pet store. We had a hundred + different species of snakes. Corns, milks, king, gopher, ball pythons, burmese, retics, anacondas, etc, etc. If it was non-venomous and legal we had it, and often in numbers.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Cobra :shock:
shooter313

Post by shooter313 »

I have two of them under my house in Western NY near Niagara Falls. I don't think it is native to this area either. I had to buy my two from a kid down the road that keeps them for pets.
I bought them for mouse control as I have a corn field and a open hay field next to where I live. Since I got my snakes 3 years ago I have had ZERO mouse problems!! They do tend to curl up next to me when I am in the crawl space working on something. Took a while for them to warm up to me, but they finally did. :D
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

Brenjen wrote: & to my earlier question...IS the milk snake a constrictor too?
yes they are, at least the ones i had squeezed there mice before eating them...........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Brenjen wrote:I trust a breeder more than my own internet experience with milk snakes but the color seems to be the one thing you can't go by. I've seen & handled corn snakes that look exactly like the one pictured. I can't see the head well enough to judge that, but the color of both snakes seem to vary greatly. With today's reptile market a corn snake could turn up anywhere so location is irrelevant.(I've seen & handled tons of corn snakes in my day but I've only seen pictures of the milk snake)

edit- if you notice the milk snake doesn't seem to have the same black outline on the spots as the corn snake & to my earlier question...IS the milk snake a constrictor too?

The head would definitely seem to be the key in identification.
ive handled many of each kind of snake and the corn snake is much different in person when you see the head. was actually playing with a milk snake last week and they are quite common in sw ontario when you are looking for them. dont really see too many when you are just walking around.

yes, they are constrictors. its the only way for non venomous snakes to eat little critters...

now, im off to feed my ball python some mice :D
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

had one in my yard sunning last year. He actually made like a rattle snake but did not stike. Was told it is a rat snake at the time.