Women outpace men as new hunters...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Women outpace men as new hunters...

Post by VixChix »

This isn't going to come as surprise to most of us here, I'm sure! :)

http://womensoutdoornews.com/2010/07/wo ... w-hunters/

Women outpace men as new hunters

July 19, 2010 by Women's Outdoor News

More women than men took up hunting last year, according to new net figures from the National Sporting Goods Association (NSGA).

While the total number of hunters in the United States decreased slightly (.05 percent) between 2008 and 2009, the number of female hunters increased by 5.4 percent, netting 163,000 new participants. Growth areas for women included muzzleloading (up 134.6 percent), bowhunting (up 30.7 percent), and hunting with firearms (up 3.5 percent).

Data also shows that women outpaced men among net newcomers to target shooting with a rifle, where female participation grew by 4.1 percent.

Participation statistics are from the NSGA report, “Sports Participation in 2009-Shooting Sports.”

Unsurprised at the number of female hunters and shooters are the women Olympians of the USA Shooting Team, whose ever-increasing visibility has made them effective ambassadors, role models and recruiters of women to traditional outdoor sports.

“Shooting is one of the most fun and empowering things you can teach a young girl or a grown woman,” said Corey Cogdell, 23, a lifelong hunter and 2008 Olympic bronze medalist in trap shooting. “Most men are surprised to find out that I am an avid outdoors woman and are often intrigued to learn how they can get females in their own lives involved in hunting and shooting.”

Connie Smotek, 45, a two-time Olympic skeet shooter, bronze medalist in the 2009 World Cup, and an avid bird and big-game hunter, added, “Shooting and hunting are activities which a woman can enjoy for a lifetime.”

Cogdell and Smotek are among the many USA Shooting Team members who parlayed early interests in hunting into international success in shooting sports—an opportunity that didn’t exist for women until relatively recently. Women’s shooting wasn’t officially added as an Olympic sport until 1984 (although U.S. rifle shooter Margaret Murdock won a medal competing against men in the 1976 games). Since then, U.S. women have won 10 Olympic medals in shooting.

Four of those 10 medals were won in the past four Olympics by Kim Rhode, a double-trap and skeet shooter now among the most elite and enduring athletes in all of sports. Rhode has embraced her Olympic success as a platform to encourage new shooters, including many young women. She has appeared at NRA’s International Youth Hunter Education Challenge, where she has signed autographs, posed for pictures, and given the young participants the thrill of holding her Olympic medals.

NRA programs have played a key role in making it easier for women to break into hunting and shooting. Since its start in the year 2000, NRA’s Women On Target program has introduced almost 52,000 women to the shooting sports through women-only instructional shooting clinics. The number of clinics has increased substantially over that time, from 13 clinics reaching 496 women in 2000 to 290 clinics reaching 9,014 women in 2009. NRA has already scheduled 295 instructional clinics for 2010.

In addition, NRA’s Women’s Programs offers a slate of women’s hunting excursions each year that allow women of all skill levels to hunt and enjoy the outdoors in the company of other women. Ten women’s hunts are on the books for 2010 and early 2011, including hunts for black bears in Alaska, ducks in Michigan, pheasants in Nebraska, and deer in Texas.

Spots still remain for several of NRA’s 2010 women’s hunts. To view the full schedule and sign-up for a hunt, visit www.nrahq.org/women/hunting/index.asp or contact Ann Marie Foster, NRA Women’s Hunting Programs coordinator, at 703-267-1413 or [email protected].

To find a Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinic near you, visit www.nrahq.org/women/isc/clinics.asp.

© 2010, Women's Outdoor News. All rights reserved. Please provide a link to The Women's Outdoor News if you republish this post.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bob1961

Re: Women outpace men as new hunters...

Post by bob1961 »

well it's bout time they got there groove on :roll: :wink: ..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

All those "role models" trying to take credit . . .we all know the real reason . . .right Norm?

I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

"Lovely article" It is prob true since the article was writen by a man. :lol:
The poor guy felt he had to write the article and gave up his range time so all the ladies could shoot! "Kidding"

My daughter has been target shooting since about 6 yrs old. Shes 10 now but has NO interest in killing ANYTHING. Dahm treehuggers!

sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

bstout wrote:I'm not a tiny bit surprised. It's a sign of the times in my opinion.

Something else I've noticed this summer is that I'm seeing a lot of women driving around on Harley Davidson's. They're not on the back but driving them. I'm not just talking full figured women but petite women as well.

Again I'm not even a little bit surprised and happy to see it.
nothin wrong with full figured women on Harleys :D but lets hear it for the ladies!!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) First we let them vote,then we let them drive on our roads . Now we have to share our hunting with ladies . :)
What is next ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess we just have to accept that the times are a changing . :D :wink:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

First we let them vote,then we let them drive on our roads . Now we have to share our hunting with ladies .
What is next ?
I guess we just have to accept that the times are a changing .

Next you may have to share your bed with one!
mark 10 :13
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

Blood on the floor wrote:
Next you may have to share your bed with one!
ok :D ...........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
dthunder

Post by dthunder »

its good to see the ladies getting into hunting.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I noticed this years regs has 2 girls on it, it was a refreshing site.
As a guy who is married to a woman who shares his passion for hunting and the outdoors I can say that all these women jumping on board is a great thing! The best part is that the market is recognizing this new flood of women and is making products designed with women in mind, especially clothing.
We had a basement flood this weekend, as the insurance guys were emptying my gun room under my wife's supervision, I heard "jeeze, your husband has a lot of gear!" followed by "My husband? Half of that is mine." It was pretty quiet from there. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

[quote="sumner4991"]All those "role models" trying to take credit . . .we all know the real reason . . .right Norm?

"Yup, Teach your wife to hunt so that you don't have to hunt for your wife."
I might add that having Patti hunting with me has been one of the greatest rewards of my life.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) You know the easiest part of taking women out hunting is they don`t have an ego that gets in the way . :)
There is a certain lady I would go out hunting with anytime . NOT TAKE OUT HUNTING . :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus