Re: Scent Lok found guilty!

Post by wabi »

Looks like justice has prevailed! :?: :shock: :|
The claims were a bit extravagant. :roll: :wink:
wabi
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

All those carbon based scent controllers are bulls**t................

And I dont know why that judge didnt whack them with the "regeneration" part as that is totally bogus as you really have to get the heat a lot higher then any clothes dryer available in order to restore carbon based absorption levels. We use some really high dollar carbon based filters and recapture devices on the gas wells out here and I get to talk to those engineers pretty often and they know their stuff. They say they would love to "reactivate" the carbon filters as they are really expensive but you have to get the heat so high it would melt all the parts that hold the carbon.

Maybe scenlok told the judge that you can absolutely rejuvenate the carbon in their clothing products. You just have to set the clothes on fire to do it! :roll:
secret

Post by secret »

I just feel for all those ...... people that believed it worked!!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
DanO

Post by DanO »

HUM! Modern day snake oil! It pays to be sceptical, unfortunately.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
bucont

Post by bucont »

Does not make me feels as bad when I see Cabela’s Inc., and Gander Mountain in this as well. I would expect they got sold a bill of goods from the scent lok folks. I'd bet we'll see further law suites from these retailers against Scent Lok as well.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I love the stuff and will continue to buy it no matter what though. Nothing will control 100% of your scent and people that believed it have other issues LOL. I never took any add they had as saying it controls all your scent. How could it? You have to touch the jacket to put it on, its in the open air around you while putting it on. Your face gives off scent. Its no way anything will control scent. Even if it doesnt work, I buy it because usually its comfortable and I want something that I can wear for 8-10 hours at a time. Im not sure if its helped me any or not, but I have quite a few bucks to show for wearing it lol. I cant vouch for what a deer smells and what he doesnt.

Its a tool... those that believed other wise are just looking to take advantage of the fine print under the justice system and make money from it. The only way to get rid of scent would be to hunt in a bubble but still then you would have some human odors outside the bubble from those that helped you get into it. Yes im picky LOL. Those that spend the money on mouth washes, soaps, and etc should be more worried. Last time I checked any soap isnt going to get rid of scent since you will start sweating it back out. Maybe they are labeled differently to aviod lawsuits though? But those products could take a big hit also. Give an inch and they will take a mile

As said, I hope they stick around since I love the product and will keep using it. The savannah SLT pants and jackets are hard to beat for early fall hunting. Light and cool:) They are pricey, but I always buy after season for 50% off;) hehehehe

I just hope this doesnt bring negative attention to hunting as a whole though :x
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

80% of human odor comes out of your mouth anyway....sent-lok don't cover your mouth so ther only covering up to 20% max of human oder then, not the 99.9% they have claimed :lol: ....don't breathe and keep your mouth closed or use a divers tanks to eliminate 80% human odor......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

It took awhile and finally busted good, buying their clothes now to me would be like buying dead batteries for a flash lite.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
TPM

Post by TPM »

I followed this story for quite awhile and as with most stories there are two sides. The core of the legal argument was not totally around whether the product worked or not but around the definition of the word "eliminate". Scent Lok argued that the carbon "eliminated" odors rather than just masking them. The plaintiffs asserted that people were led to believe that "eliminate" meant 100% removal of all human odor and they managed to convince a judge of that. Consequently they were found guilty of misleading advertising.
I'm sure this is the first time in history of hunting that a company gone out on a limb to with claims of the effectiveness of their product. :roll: I hope companies advertising the biggest scam of all (the need for camo for deer hunting) are very careful how they word their ads. This was all nothing but a witch hunt...
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

bob1961 wrote:80% of human odor comes out of your mouth anyway....sent-lok don't cover your mouth so ther only covering up to 20% max of human oder then, not the 99.9% they have claimed :lol: ....don't breathe and keep your mouth closed or use a divers tanks to eliminate 80% human odor......bob

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=ca
Pine tree Gumoflage anyone?? Mmmmmm good eats!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

TPM wrote:I followed this story for quite awhile and as with most stories there are two sides. The core of the legal argument was not totally around whether the product worked or not but around the definition of the word "eliminate". Scent Lok argued that the carbon "eliminated" odors rather than just masking them. The plaintiffs asserted that people were led to believe that "eliminate" meant 100% removal of all human odor and they managed to convince a judge of that. Consequently they were found guilty of misleading advertising.
I'm sure this is the first time in history of hunting that a company gone out on a limb to with claims of the effectiveness of their product. :roll: I hope companies advertising the biggest scam of all (the need for camo for deer hunting) are very careful how they word their ads. This was all nothing but a witch hunt...

LOL.. agree 100% there! Its a wake up call to all the gimics out there. I wasnt aware that they said it eliminated all odors. I wouldnt have believed that even if they had though. Still going to wear the clothes though since its comfortable and all the new up to date camo :lol:
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Camo is a marketing ploy to get the hunters money.
I hunted for years in a green hydro parka and had deer right next to me.

Do I wear camo now well of course the clothing is better suited for hunting and moving around in.And it is much more fun to wear :D

Like any purchase research and know the facts.
Scent loc embellished the truth and now have to pay for it.So be it.
JMO
Tenpoint Matrix
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Pretty sad that it had to go to court. I'm not even sure if you could "eliminate" all human odour if you wrapped yourself in Saran Wrap before each hunt.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

I can't tell you how many deer my grandfather put on the ground wearing an old red and black checkered jacket and black insulated trousers. He always said "the wind tells me where to sit...convenience doesn't" and he was a rock when he hunted. His eyes moved constantly...his head very little...and the rest of him was perfectly still, until he drew back or lifted the gun.

Scent Lok was a gimmick from the get-go. Those who have even rudimentary knowledge regarding how activated carbon works had a good chuckle regarding the company's claims. An even bigger chuckle could be had if you have ever had the opportunity to look inside a piece of the clothing and see how much activated carbon is applied to that supposed protective layer. There's no way that stuff works, at all. Even if it did, by the time it comes from the factory to the store, then is purchased by a consumer, the carbon would already be saturated and never able to be reactivated.

Save your money.
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

I don't have a clue if scent lok works/worked or otherwise but I know the military chemical suits that the idea came from help to control body odor.

A buddy of mine way back when lived in a state of squalor & the family pumped water straight from a pond to bathe with. They had no way to heat the water so they bathed a couple times during the summer & that was it. Once the truck stop up the hill paid off whoever monitored it's waste water disposal their pond got fouled with diesel & they stopped bathing altogether. This fella was about 6'5" & 300 pounds & covered in hair like grizzly Adams.....come to think of it they didn't own a washing machine either & I never saw him in clean clothes unless they were new(ish).

Anyway, this stinky fellow & myself were in my car going somewhere in the middle of a hot, humid Arkansas summer & I noticed he was wearing a jacket but I couldn't smell him (B.O. only, his breath was still potent); that's when I was introduced to the military chemical suit. I claimed lies & argued he must have bathed! He then took off the jacket at which point I rolled down the window & begged him to put it back on. I know that jacket knocked down the amount of odor big boy was rolling with & it was usually enough to gag a maggot.