sub-1" @ 25 yards
64%
sub-2" @ 25 yards
28%
"minute of deer" (4-6") is good enough
9%

Total votes: 47

Cossack

Re: how accurate does you bow have to be?

Post by Cossack »

That scope is shot (happened to me) call Dan Miller 740-483-2312 for replacement. While I agree with most of the previous post about using rifle scopes on CB I use LumiZones on mine for one simple reason: I can adjust the power (speed ring) so that two bows (Phoenix and Vortex) shoot to the same POI with respective aim points. And at a memory-challenged near 70 that's a good thing.
Also shoot a faster compound (flatter trajectory) and it's Hawke MAP just happens to hit the same points at 20,30,40 and 50 yards with a slightly heavier arrow.. No need to remember which bow I'm using just range, aim and touch 'er off. Sweet!!!
While I sight in for minute of angle gnat's butt at 20, I'll settle for minuet of deer's heart at 40, my personal max shoot-to distance. :mrgreen:
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
huntone

Post by huntone »

Well said sumner4991

I also wish for a high quality crossbow scope. Had to send two Lumizones back to Danny Miller and he took very good care of me. With that said, I like to make sure my crossbow is set up and running good way before the season, just in case.

I like to bench at 25 yards and have all the groups inside 1 inch and then I know my bow and arrows are doing things right, then work on my off hand shooting.

I don’t know why I don’t just go back to shooting with peep sights, as I won’t shoot past 30 yards and most of my shots on deer, varmints and such have been inside 20 yards, with most of them being at around 10. With my compound bow I took a shot at a doe at 40 yards and was successful, but I was young, dumb and lucky. :oops: Heck, peep sights were always accurate with my compound and I never felt handicapped and always felt comfortable taking my shots. Shucks, when I first started bow hunting I used no sights at all..... As long as Danny Miller sends replacements and is as kind as he is, it makes it hard to use the sights that came with the Ibex.

I’ll be first in line for a high quality, tested and simple crossbow scope, but would I really be better off just using the plain sights ? I think so !
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

No weapon can be too accurate.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

As long as I can keep it inside a 4" circle at 35 yds I am happy.
No scope on my bow.
Tenpoint Matrix
TPM

Post by TPM »

For 3D I want to be able to hit a 12 ring (typically about 1" in dia.) at 40+ yards consistently. Arrow splitting accuracy is very important to me.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Mike (Wabi) as you know, I have owned and shot numerous Excalibur models. I demand and expect to be able to consistantly hit dime-size targets at 20 yards. Using both Varizone and Lumizone scopes, I have always (knock on wood) been able to achieve that kind of accuracy.

I was just wondering, since you've said that initially all the scopes you've tried on your Phoenix worked fine. Have you given any thought that maybe your particular Phoenix, over time, might be the cause of damaging the scopes. Let's hope not, but if the same problems occur using your Leupold, then that might very well be the cause.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
wabi

Post by wabi »

ComfyBear wrote:Mike (Wabi) as you know, I have owned and shot numerous Excalibur models. I demand and expect to be able to consistantly hit dime-size targets at 20 yards. Using both Varizone and Lumizone scopes, I have always (knock on wood) been able to achieve that kind of accuracy.

I was just wondering, since you've said that initially all the scopes you've tried on your Phoenix worked fine. Have you given any thought that maybe your particular Phoenix, over time, might be the cause of damaging the scopes. Let's hope not, but if the same problems occur using your Leupold, then that might very well be the cause.
The thought HAS entered my mind, but I'm at a loss as to how that could be the case. It doesn't seem to exhibit any more recoil/vibration than any other Excalibur I have shot. I know that's not based on any "scientific" information, just my perception, but if the Leopold fails it just might be a good excuse to get the Vixen II I'd like to own. :lol: :lol:
wabi