I'm ALMOST out of venison!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

killshot

Re: I'm ALMOST out of venison!

Post by killshot »

Cossack wrote:His rules: 1) get the hide off ASAP it's a near perfect isolater and keeps the deer from cooling off. 2) Bone em out, never cut through the bones with saw. Marrow is so rich that it will spoil (see no 1). 3) Unless you have a cooler where you can maintain meat at near 32* aging (esp in the hide) causes meat to spoil.
4) If you wash it, dry off well, wet meat enables bacteria to breed. 5) Let meat 'set up' overnight -weather permitting- and bone out, cut, vacuum pack and freeze.
Been doing it that way for years. Works for me. Cooking venison (too hot, too
fast, too well done) likely ruins as much or more as poor butchering
This is exactly the way we have been doing ours for years aswell.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
Brenjen

Re: I'm ALMOST out of venison!

Post by Brenjen »

I've done it every way mentioned except I only hung one doe skin on, one time & then only for a week. Boned, not boned, aged, skinned, not skinned etc. nothing made a difference to the taste imho.

As long as the person butchering the animal didn't puncture the bowel, bladder or foul the blade on the tarsal glands etc. the only noticeable difference to my palette is in young deer vs. mature deer & doe vs. rutting buck & none whatsoever from the method of butchering or aging. For older, rutting bucks, the faster you can bleed & cool the meat the better it will taste. Some say the lactic acid build up from deer that have been run hard before their demise are more tender, others claim it toughens them...I have no opinion on that.

Of course that's MY taste palette! I have eaten things people claim tasted horrible & all I thought is that it needed more salt lol

I've been out of deer for a couple years myself. I had access to some but my parents freezer went out on them earlier this summer & it was two days before they realized it. It was a huge old freezer stuffed full of meat, half of that was venison.