axiom crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike Pcf

axiom crossbow

Post by Mike Pcf »

Hey everyone,,I just purchased the new axiom crossbow kit. I was going to but a tenpoint crossbow so i shot it at Dicks sporting goods in Rockaway n.j. To compare it with the excalibur.The cranking mech. on the tenpoint was loud,clicking as you cranked it. No good,,no way! not for hunting. Not while i'm sitting in a tree. Anyway,I am going to try the Excalibur axiom. Does anyone have anything they can share with me to help? The cocking mech. on it is simple and quiet. Not too sure if the bow is as good as a tenpoint Titan .It does seem decent but I was cocking it by hand and I found I couldn't really keep a good group . I went back and purchased a cocking rope but I haven't tried it yet to see if it will be more accurate.
gerald strine

Re: axiom crossbow

Post by gerald strine »

congratulations on your new bow I think you will be very happy with your choice .
The rope cocking aid is your best friend you should use it all the time it will keep
the string from being pulled off center causing poor groupings make sure both hooks are up against the rail when you pull it back.
It will also protect you from nerve damage that can result from cocking your bow by hand to much pressure over and over on a small area of the fingers is not good in the long run.
The crankaroo is also a wonderful item that I use for target shooting I am quite short and it is a great asset for me but with the anti reverse on it also clicks.
One thing to keep in mind is do not over cock the string just poll it back untill you here it in gauge and no further if you pull it to far back you can cause serving ware and separation.
You will also want to get a extra string and string changer rope as soon as funds allow.
Excalibers are every bit as good as any bow out their and are the simplest to maintain yourself you made the correct choice.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The rope cocking is fairly quiet & easy on the 175 lb & the Bow is every bit as good or better than the Ten pt titan you tried. Its just a recurve, enjoy yer shooting as thar will be lots of it
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Mike Pcf

Post by Mike Pcf »

Thanks for your oppinion. I am going to shoot this Axiom this weekend a little and I will let everyone know what I think about it. I am excited and hope it stays consistant in it's shot groups so I can brag about it. We will see! There are 2 things it doesn't have with it that I wish it did and that is,,On the Axiom the scope doesn't adjust to the bow speed like they say the excalibur does,and it doesn't have the little rubber pieces under the limbs to make the bow quiet,or keep the vibration down. They could have added them to the kit but they didn't. It does come with an excalibur scope,it just doesn't adjust to the bow speed. I am sure I can probably get it close after I do some adjustments. And I guess I can add something under the limb to help the vibration/noise to the bow.Well, I am fussy as a hunter should be when he hunts. If it doesn't shoot to satisfy me,,I won't hunt with it. I will get rid of it. If it is on point I will definitely brag about it. My hopes are high. Can't wait till the weekend ! : )
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

We had to drop out some of the extras to get the price down on the Axiom, but you can add them if you wish in the future at any time if you want to. Te scope is set for around 300 FPS to be dead on at all markers up to 50 yards. This is the speed that you will probably be shooting and I'm sure that you'll be impressed with the scope. A bonus is that the scope is a tad brighter than the VZ because it doesn't have the extra glass that the variable type scopes have. dB bars? Up to you, they add 3 or 4 ounces to the bow but they do quiet it down a fair bit.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I shoot a Phoenix which is the same bow but comes with the D bars which I have taken off and put a string stopper on instead.
Great bow get it sighted in and keep everything tight and you are good to go.

To say it is better than a Ten Point I can't as I have never shot one or held one but I intend on shooting Excaliburs as long as they are available.
Tenpoint Matrix
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The crankaroo also makes a clicking noise as it ratchets the string into the "cocked" position.

That is no big deal.

Just hold back on the ratchet lever so it can't drop into the cog. Do that till you have fully cocked the bow. That way the crankaroo will silently wind up the string till the bow is cocked. That cocking "click" you can't prevent no matter how you draw the string. It's a single click anyway, so it's not a biggie.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.