seeing bolt flight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

seeing bolt flight

Post by gerald strine »

I can not see my bolts in flight and would like to I am shooting an Equinox with fire bolts bare bones no sts,cat whiskers,lighted nocks, or arrow wraps and I am not sure any of these items would be enough to make the difference what are other shooters experiencing on this subject.
Thanks
Jerry
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
dutchhunter

Re: seeing bolt flight

Post by dutchhunter »

well you can get a slower bow or get some lighted nocks .once you get over 200lb bow it get tought to see the arrows DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

with my exocet 200 my friends looking for arrow flight can't even see them till they hear them hit the target "HEY THERE IT IS" :lol: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

The luminok's make watching the arrow flight easy but are somewhat expensive and do add a bit of weight to the back of the bolt.

The cheapest way would be to make / purchase bolts with bright colours of vanes. Add a wrap and it gets better.

I make my own, very easy with a Arizona Fletcher, and like the florescent orange blazers and wrap combination. Florescent yellow is my next favourite.

If you target shoot with buddies, they like the target left by the luminok.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I always thought that was part of the fun. If you want to watch the flight, then simply shoot a heavier tip. I have some 145 grain tips that I add to my arrows when I want to watch the flight. It also calms down the Exomax to a average size gorilla. :lol: I have some very lite arrows to shoot when I want them to magically appear in the target after I pull the trigger. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Once i added the ngss i could see the bolt fly through the air out of the equinox using standard firebolts but only at 30 yards and further
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Boo

Post by Boo »

A good string stopper system like STS will allow you to follow the arrow to it's mark. String material like 452X and cat whiskers will as well. What you want to do is reduce the shock or smoothen the shock.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
secret

Post by secret »

Try Easton tracer nocks, i have no problem seeing them all the way to impact of.....Turkeys....Deer.... targets
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bright vanes or wraps would help.. i follow mine through the scope and have no issues seeing mine in flight. Most try to shoot and then jerk their head up to watch. Thats a huge no no and will throw the shot off.

if you cant see the flight, then you know your bow is fast which is good;)
frisky

Post by frisky »

CF said
Most try to shoot and then jerk their head up to watch. Thats a huge no no and will throw the shot off.

X2....My old problem :oops:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

frisky wrote:CF said
Most try to shoot and then jerk their head up to watch. Thats a huge no no and will throw the shot off.

alot do that;) Its hard to keep looking through the scope when shooting at a deer but it helps alot with the follow through :D
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I never have been able to see my arrows in flight once they leave my Exomag. I shoot, hear the thump and then see the arrow in the bullseye 8) . What can I say, it's an Excalibur :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

crazyfarmer wrote:
frisky wrote:CF said

alot do that;) Its hard to keep looking through the scope when shooting at a deer but it helps alot with the follow through :D
Always find where the arrow hit with the scope before looking at it with the naked eye. Keep looking through the scope until you find your arrow in the target. When using peep sights, you want to do the same thing except put the pin back on the arrow before moving your head. The recoil from the higher poundage bows is enough to vibrate your head to where you temporarily lose track of the arrow. Just stay with it until you develop the habit.

Good habits with the crossbow will spill over to your rifles. Your accuracy will improve. Shoot your crossbows a lot, it's cheaper than live ammo.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

My eyesight is about as good as it gets and I cannot see mine until it hits the target. I shoot a 200 lb Exocet, STS system, and blaze orange wraps with blaze vanes on my arrows. Your just looking at the back of the bolt in flight so seeing very little of the vane and none of the wrap during flight(unleess longer arcing shots) :roll: . I too would like to see my arrow in flight but do not want to shell out the bucks for a luminok type system. The bright vanes and wraps do help to find your arrows after flight though :D .
Why ride when you can walk!
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Lumenoks worked for me. Will not go back to non illumnated.