my butchering method...........

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob1961

my butchering method...........

Post by bob1961 »

i seen the post bout "out of venison" and the way people do there deer....here is how i have been doing them for bout 7 years now....

as soon as i get the deer home and hung by the rear legs, it is skinned and brushed off of all the debris it collected on the way home....the front shoulder blades are cut off whole and both are placed in a plastic shopping bag together....
then starting in the front of each hindquarter just above the knee joint i cut 90 degrees to the bone....then turn knife blade to run with the bone all the way to the hip joint....set that aside then i start boning around the leg bone at the knee where i started first cut....once i get my fingers around the bone close as possible toward the hip as far as i can, i run my knife between the bone and main teindon starting at the knee joint and follow the teindon to hip area....
once there i start working my knife down to the pelvic as close to the bone and away from the meat untill i get it all loose and out as one big hunk....then those two pieces of hindquarter meat goes into a bag as well, then i do the same as the first side with second hindquarter....you should have just the leg bones hanging there from knee to hip minus any meat nicely cleaned off the bone....
from there i start on the back straps at the top from hip down to the neck....starting with my knife handle up blade down from above i work my knife in a circlar motion around the back strap as close to the bone/spine as i can and pull outward with the loose end of meat....then i as hold the back strap in one hand pulling away from the spine and rib area i keep circling my knife pointing downward bout 2" deep each cut untill i have the back strap hanging by itself....you can stop at the neck/shoulder area of go as far towards the neck as you like, then both back straps go into a bag together....
then i kinda do the same to the remaining neck meat on each side of the spine and bag then together....then i pick the rest of the little hunks of meat off the carcass to be stew or stir fry meat and it goes into the fridge for a day or too also to age....then all meat loosely bagged at this time goes on a towel to catch any drips on the very bottom of my fridge to sit in 35/40 degree's as one would in a walk in cooler for 5 to 7 days to age....
day 4/5 i start with the hunks of hindquarter meat they are seperated of all silver skin and cut into steaks, all of it gets wraped with cling wrap then butcher paper marked what it is and dated....then any little scraps are added to the other stew/stir fry meat to get wraped later....then starting with day 5/6 the front shoulders they are made into stew/stir fry, wraped tightly in cling wrap to remove any air off of the meat then in butcher paper marked with the date/type of cut....at that day one or both back straps are cut into jerky strips and into marinate for 2/3 days....the 4.5 year old rutting buck i took in 2004 done this way came out tender and not one taste of any gamey flavor at all....hope this helps anyone having troubles with strong tasting gamey venison :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
ninepointer

Re: my butchering method...........

Post by ninepointer »

Just give us the link to your YouTube video :wink:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I did pretty much the exact same thing with a doe I took last year . . .minus the 4/5 days in the fridge.

I agree with the No Bone theory. No bone, no fat, no silver lining . . .nothing but red meat.

Tastes great.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

what about the tenderloins on the inside of the chest cavity?

those are always the first meal I have after butchering my deer.
wabi

Post by wabi »

carvedtip wrote:what about the tenderloins on the inside of the chest cavity?
Those should be packaged and labeled - MUD VEIN - if you plan on putting them in the freezer!

(Keeps the rest of the family from eating them before you can. :wink: )
wabi
jacktar

Post by jacktar »

Only way I ever done any of mine and there has been more then a couple over the years is; As soon as I get to him, gut him where he lies then get him or her home as soon as possible. Hang him by the back legs, clean him out. When I skin I make sure to start with a clean knife and only use my left hand to handle the hide, never touching the meat with it. Set the hide aside clean the knife and wash my hands. Then take out the tenderloins and back strap, remove the shoulders and then the hams. Take a few steaks off of the hams and save the rest of the hams for the smoker. We use the shoulders and any other scraps for stew meat. I then buttefly the loins and back strap. Without a word of a lie we have NEVER had a gamey taste, and,we have cooked it the same day after the butchering was done. Tender and sweet. I think the key is the field dressing and the clean knifes while butchering. All I know is it works for us and others I've told. Good luck :D
secret

Post by secret »

Kill deer...Cut out tenderloins...eat tenderloins...1/4 deer... make jerky....feed all your friends!!!!! repeat process!!!!! next tag!!!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i left out the tenderloin part cause i thought that was tradition to eat them as soon as they came out of the deer that day like i have been doing for all my 52 deer to date 8) ..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

bstout wrote:
carvedtip wrote:what about the tenderloins on the inside of the chest cavity?
I do those in an iron skillet in butter and garlic.

Me too; salt, black pepper, garlic & clarified butter until lightly browned - MMMMmm, MMMMM! That's what I hunt for really, the rest is just a bonus :mrgreen:
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

I recently purchased a 4X6 stainless steel table for $150.00 from a chocolate company that was going out of business and I also plan on purchasing a meat grinder. I am butchering deer myself this year as I have had issues with local butcher (hair on meat when I take my deer in clean and last year I was charged $20.00 for skinning fee when I have always taken my deer in skinned).
Any body have any tips for making sausages?
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

making sausage is easy, purchase a meat grinder that has a spout for making sausage. Source out the casings from a butcher. double gring all your venison trimings. I use the entire front quarters for sausage minus the prime rib(backstrap).
Go approx 2 parts venison, 1 part pork shoulder (adjust for preference lean vs. juicy) and experiment with spice mix recipe's. I like honey garlic and basically just dump a jar of honey, crushed garlic, salt, pepper etc. I pack 4-5 links per pack in butcher paper.

That is all there is to it, it is very easy

On a side note. When finished this process, try smoking some of the finished product. Takes them to a whole other level.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

I will add my butchering method as taught to me by a pro butcher and is basically a scaled down version of the method used on cattle.

once the animal is skinned, hung etc., use a blowtorch to burn off all loose hairs.

*remove tenderloins*

1. draw the animal in half staight downt the middle of the spine with a recip saw.

2. remove both front shoulders with a fillet knife and trim out for sausage.

3. quater both halves along last rib and cut spine with recip saw.

4. Remove portion of backstrap on front quarters and trim silver skin. thes are the prime rib roasts. I steak them into prime rib medallions. The rest of the front quarters is trimmed for sausage.

5. make both anterior and posterior cut straight into hip joint and twist off loin section ( about 12"-16" long) The remainder of backstrap on this portion becomes the new york strip or boneless T-bone. The other strip of meat on this section is steaked as well ( I'm not 100% but think it is the top sirloin)

6. cut straight down the femur following the bone on the ANTERIOR. This chunk is the sirloin tip roast. The posterior side of the femur is removed and looks like a large butterflied piece of meat. cut it downthe seam and it becomes the inside and outside round roasts. DONE! repeat for other side

I wrap all my meat in butcher paper and label the cuts.
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
WMU's 80,84,86
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

bout the same as i do but minus cutting any bone, but i get back straps as long as the deer that get cut into all medalion steaks kinda 1" thick....hated tasting the bone or marrow in the meat when i did split the spine or cut bones, big difference from the two methods :wink: ......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

using this method, the only area where open meat is exposed to the bone shavings is in the 12"-16" loin section where the cuts are in against the spine. On the front quarters, back straps(prime rib) and legs it is a non issue. in the loin area cuts, I just shave off 1/8" with an electric knife any surfaces that are not perfectly clean.
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
WMU's 80,84,86
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

cool..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.