what broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bluecreekhunter

what broadhead

Post by bluecreekhunter »

I am shooting an equinox with the firebolts that come with it.What broadhead and what grain broadhead will give me correct foc and accuracy?
RichJ

Re: what broadhead

Post by RichJ »

I think most members here will tell you run a 150 grain head. I got the Firebolts with my set up and found they need 150 to shoot stable. I went to the Goldtip Lazers for the fact of them having the 110 gr brass Insert. With that set up you can run anything from a 100gr head on up to a brick. I dont know if anyone has checked the inner DIA of the Firebolts to see if a heavy brass insert will fit in them. I also hunt with a few guys that run the Firebolts with a 110Gr Rage and wont try anything else.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

If this won't give you enough FOC nothing will: http://www.slicktrick.net/
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
secret

Post by secret »

Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
TYE

Post by TYE »

I used Wasp SST Hammer 125's with my Phoenix my dad still uses them with the Vixen and I'm debating whether to use Wasp Bullet 75's or Wasp Hammer 100's with my Bowtech or Slick Trick 85 or 100's.

I did a lot of testing with Wasp Boss 100's and Wasp Hammer 125's a few years ago. I shot them through wood, steel, aluminum, buckets of sand and one single head of each model stood up to all the tests in a row and fully passed through them all and the only damage to the 2 heads was the tracer tips sharp point was slightly dulle and no one blade was ent they just lost their sharpness. Replaced the blades and re used them.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

FOC . . .there's been several debates about the "best" FOC . . .any of the broadheads from 85 gr and up will give you enough FOC to shoot accurately. Just make sure you are shooting an arrow heavy enough to make a complete pass through and satisfy the warranty specs on your bow.

I currently have three broadheads that I have ready and in my quiver. They are these . . .

The Slick Trick, the Spitfire and the Stricknine. I like the Slick Trick when hunting at close range, 20 yards or less. I found that at longer ranges, they just aren't as accurate as the Spitfire or Stricknine.

All three heads have a good amount of cutting surface. The #1 factor I use for deciding if a broadhead is worthy of hunting. I know, a lot of people would say accuracy. We kill via blood loss, therefore I want that to happen as quickly as possible. Sure accuracy is a very close second. That's why there are so many little broadheads on the market that barely make the legal grade. The smaller fixed blade broadheads are more accurate than the large fixed blade broadheads. Unfortunately, they do a poor job of bleeding out an animal. I perfer mechanicals since they are basically field poinds, thus more accurate.

I use the Stricknine almost exclusively for deer. The large blades do a number on the deer. I've had double lung hits that drop deer in their tracks. I had a gut shot buck travel 20 yards +/-. No deer has made it past 50 yards and that buck was the only one that made it that far. The Stricknines are extremely accurate too.

The larger the broadhead, the more weight you will need to have enough KE to push the broadhead through the deer, bear, moose . . .since I hunt in the South East, 125 grain works for me. However, if I were to hunt larger game, then I may increase my arrow weight which currently sits at 408 gr. total.

Another nice advantage to the mechanicals, they are easy. They require less "tuning" or tinkering to get them to fly straight.

A lot of this will be personal choice. Since any broadhead on the market will down a deer if placed in the right spot. :wink:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
MR. GADGET

Post by MR. GADGET »

I have some of the wasp but have been using the 100 gr Rage two blades, was thinking about giving the 125 gr 2 blades a try but don't think they could do any better.
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Slick tricks all the way!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax