Hunting blind for wife

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Migabby

Re: Hunting blind for wife

Post by Migabby »

[quote][What would you recommend? Hopefully we could keep the cost $200 or less./quote]

For your info Dunhams has them on sale now! The dog house $69.99 and the Brickhouse %109.99
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Check out Sportsmans Guide #WCLO-182821. It's a Primos 2 person for $40. $36 if you are a club member. I got 2 of them.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
TYE

Post by TYE »

Ameristep Brickhouse. Best blind ive hunted from. Loads of space and windows in the right places. Full 360 degree view. Very easy setup too.
wabi

Post by wabi »

First I might say as delicately as I can (not intended to offend Exomag lovers :wink: ) be sure to point out to her the Vixen is a much easier bow to shoot. Less cocking effort - less weight - better balance for a smaller statured person - less noise & vibration (and felt recoil). If she can handle the Exomax she'll love the Vixen, but if the Exomax is too much the Vixen may still be something she can use comfortably. :shock:

As for a blind, I've used the Doghouse (or similar "clones" available on the market) since I started using a ground blind. Have often thought of changing style or brand, but keep practicing my theory of - "if it isn't broke, don't fix it!". The Doghouse is so well suited to my crossbow hunting I have owned (I may be off ±1 on the count) 4 of them now, and just can't find a good enough reason to change. :lol:
(If anyone reading this disagrees with my assessment and wants to send me another blind at no charge to try, I will accept the challenge :wink: :lol: )
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My wife uses her dads Easton blind, easy to carry and set up.
I see Cabelas now has a blind that is designed for crossbows.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

VixChix wrote:If she's going to be lugging the blind around herself the Doghouse is probably your best bet for size & carry weight. The hub blinds are sweet, but tend to be a bit bulkier & heavier to haul.
She won't be lugging anything around except the bow. We just hunt on our own property here at home so I can set up the blind and she can just walk to it.

It sounds like the Doghouse is the most recommended. We are planning a trip to Cabela's this coming week and will be looking at them there. Gee, I haven't been to that store for 5 years now.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

If she's NOT going to be lugging the blind and you have the room for it, then consider a hub-style. One of the biggest advantages is that wall wind-flap is greatly reduced with the hub style blind in comparison to the hoop style. I'd suspect that the hub style might be more attractive to thieves than the DogHouse style though, depending on your hunting locale.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Have you considered using a 3-D hunting suit and "becoming the blind"? Ameristep has a new 3-D pancho and there is a new product called "Bush N a Bag" that seems quite well thought-out.
My hunting partner and I have already made awesome Ghilli suits from kits and are going to purchase one of the two options I mentioned above.
We are going to hunt from the ground exclusively this year in an effort to see how our success is affected. After much cconsideration of the big pop-ups, hubs, and chair blinds, which between us, we already have, we decided to go this route for convenience and noise considerations. Just an option to consider for yourself and your wife as they would be much easier to use and allow for almost instant re-positioning if required....
In the Wind.......
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

She sounds like a great gal!

I just bought a blind, its called the Predator by Comfort Zone. It is on sale at Dicks right now for $59.99. It has basically the same dimensions as the doghouse. Can't wait for this fall to give it a whirl!!! :D
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Hey, we have considered a gillie suit. I've thought about one for several years, but I'm not sure I could convince her to use one.

Hopefully we'll be out looking around for something yet this week.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Well, whatever you choose, the cool part is you're doing it together. That just plain awesome!
In the Wind.......
lscha

Post by lscha »

B-Logger wrote:Hey, we have considered a gillie suit. I've thought about one for several years, but I'm not sure I could convince her to use one.

Ghillies are very attractive and fashionable. She will feel as if she just stepped out of Vogue Magazine.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

B-Logger wrote:Hey, we have considered a gillie suit. I've thought about one for several years, but I'm not sure I could convince her to use one.

Hi,

I thought about Gillie Suits for years but have not given them a try. I believe they have many positives and could be used very effectively for hunting deer and turkey. However, I believe they have a major a downside when compared to ground blinds; namely you must be still or very nearly so compared to the movement you can get away with while in a ground blind. Now that I'm closer to 70 ( :( ) than I am 60 I much prefer hunting comfortably with less chance of "success" than hunting hard to increase my probability of filling my tags.

Bill K.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Can't argue that!
In the Wind.......