Xbow clean up AND I did my trigger too..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hoss

Xbow clean up AND I did my trigger too..

Post by Hoss »

I needed to do a full clean up on my Exomag so I took it all down and began to clean. I was not going to take the trigger group apart but curosity got me. I was surprized on how well made and designed it is. If you have any kind of mechanical skills its a breeze. the way they sandwiched the two halves together makes it simple to axcess. Springs do not go flying when you pull the two halves apart. the only thing you need to be looking for being careful that it doesnt hit the floor and roll away is the detent ball for the safety. I cleaned up everything and then got to looking at the trigger and how it works. Ive done some rifles in the past so I wasnt completly in the dark. I polished the mating surfaces of the trigger sear and claw surfaces. the stock surface was just raw metal kind of rough and unpolished so you can see how making them polished and almost looking like chrome would make a better trigger pull. I did not mess with the springs at all. Polishing the 2 surfaces was plenty. However I did polish the contact points where the claw meets the string..nice..I put it all back together and let me tell you its pretty dang simple. So if you have a hankerin to get in there and look dont be afraid its simple as it gets..I took it out and shot it and WOW its smooth and crisp..I love it..Thanks for a great simple design Excalibur..
Last edited by Hoss on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Hoss

Re: Xbow clean up AND I did my trigger too..

Post by Hoss »

I didnt remove any material..I just cleaned it up real nice it sure need it...there was some grit and fine dirt material in there..I can see how removing material and sanding away on the stuff would be frowned upon....not a problem bud I understand completely. shes still like she was..
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

I agree wit cha Hoss! I did the same to mine. Like I said in another post it was a nice design but not rocket science. I hope the polished claw will give me longer serving life. Laid down some graphite and threw her back together and she was smooth as silk.

You didnt by chance measure the trigger pull before and after did you?

As far as warranty I have no concern. If it were denied I (and I doubt it ever would) I would just buy another excallbur. As good an excuse as any to add to the herd. :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Depends on your comfort level. I cleaned my entire bow up today, including the trigger assembly. There was one scary moment when a spring flew out and hit the wall behind me. Other than that, no big deal.

I found a couple of loose screws. One was on the bow, the other had a screwdriver in his hand. :P I use loctite, but, apparently I didn't get it on well enough. Anyway, it's a darn good idea to give your bow the "once over" this time of year.

I also took a tennis ball and peeled it like an apple into a 1/4" strip. I used a precision sheer for the cutting. I then fed the 1/4" strip down the empty space in the railing. The curl in the strip of tennis ball material turned into the sides and held in place. It seemed to make a nice difference, but, the Max . . .well, it's still loud. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Bones

Post by Bones »

I found no need to even take the things apart. I Spray synthetic lube in mine untill it is running out the other end crud and all. Been doing it for years on my exo 200 trigger is smooth as glass. Mine gets full of water,mud and anything else it encounters on the front of my quad moose hunting in northern ontario.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

No ididnt Carved tip..My fish scale was right there but the battery was dead and so I didnt get to....But I can tell you just cleanin it up made a diff..

Hey FYI bones as compact and closed up as the trigger assembly is I dont know if the spraying of stuff down in there would ever make it in and out with much success...Im sure some would but not all...It is very easy to get to to clean..
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I agree Hoss . . .I don't see how spraying the lube into the trigger would circulate through the entire trigger assembly. Bones . . .where do you inject and where does it come out?

I can see how putting lube in like that could cause build-up?

I had to go back into mine today. I used a dry lube thinking it would be better because it wouldn't be as apt to collect dirt. However, once it dried, it caused some sticking in a couple of areas.

Live and learn. :)

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Sorry if I offended any one, that was not my intention. By spraying down the safety and letting run out the front you can see the dirt coming out. As for getting it completely clean NO. But I use my equipment and if it can't hold up to the rigors I put it through I don't want it. My wolverine ,exocet 175, and now my exo200 have all delivered. All of my bows have come home covered in mud and still shoot tacks dirty. Thats why I love these things simple but effective from trigger to buisness end. The triggers on these things are very simple, my ruger 10-22 is harder, my browning a bolt is brutal. I have to agree with Boo holding back that much poundage is a different animal than holding back a spring on a rifle trigger. Sorry again
Bones
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

I fail to see where you offended anyone Bones. Welcome to the forum.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

My opolagies Bones I was just stating my dum a$$ view in a bad way...I didnt mean to make little of or say my way was better i was just wanting you to know if youve never been in there what I saw..Its real closed off you could be missing some crap in there is all..
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

NewGuy wrote:I fail to see where you offended anyone Bones. Welcome to the forum.
You didn't offend me. I was just confused by how you were completing the task. The assembly is tight. The safety is pretty much a closed off area except for a small hole at the bottom where it keeps the trigger from moving when engaged. Then the trigger area is open from the bottom, but, for the lube to get to the trigger claw compartment, it would need to go up. If I were going to try what you are doing, then I would spray downward on the safety, then spray downward from the trigger claws toward the trigger.

I'm always looking for different ways to complete the same task. :)

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

sumner4991 wrote:I agree Hoss . . .I don't see how spraying the lube into the trigger would circulate through the entire trigger assembly. Bones . . .where do you inject and where does it come out?

I can see how putting lube in like that could cause build-up?

I had to go back into mine today. I used a dry lube thinking it would be better because it wouldn't be as apt to collect dirt. However, once it dried, it caused some sticking in a couple of areas.

Live and learn. :)
The trigger mech. is pretty much an open box and a liquid cleaner can penetrate throughout if fluid enough. It does help for a while, but draining takes some time.
Lubing it with Tri Flow (a Teflon based lube) helps too. But smoothing the casting marks is the ultimate cure. Word to the wise: DO NOT change the angle of engagement for the articulating surfaces of the sear! This is about polishing not grinding. If you can't tell the difference, LEAVE IT ALONE!
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

what bout a can of brake cleaner blasted in there under pressure....that stuff evaps fast and dry after everything is blasted out under the pressure........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.