Vixen ii and cheekpiece?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

foofoo

Vixen ii and cheekpiece?

Post by foofoo »

anybody sucessfully mod the excalibur cheek piece to fit the vixen ii. kinda a shame that it wont fit.the bow is a couple months old and didnt know that it needed to have the slash marks by the trigger? of course only found out after buying it. why would they make it so it wouldnt fit one of there bows? the pink version on the web page shows it with slash marks. wonder if the cheekpiece could be grooved out to fit?
roblinco

Re: Vixen ii and cheekpiece?

Post by roblinco »

I recently purchased a Vortex, which has the thumbhole stock. I also purchased the cheekpiece which plainly staes on the package "for thumbhole stocks only"
When I tried to install the cheekpiece on the stock, it was a no-go. I tried the recommended application of force method, and it doesn't even come close to fitting.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bow, but can't figure out why the designers 1) would make a cheekpiece that obviously doesn't fit and 2) once you get the proper cheekpiece, why make it so difficult to install. Why not just use two screws and make it an easy slip-on???

I have been combing various posts and discovered that this problem is a wide-spread one. What is being done to address it? Willl Excalibur offer to install this (or the proper) cheekpiece for me, or am I out 30 bucks?

Thanks for your kind attention.
Morangus

Post by Morangus »

Call Danny Miller. He might exchange it for nothing.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

roblinco wrote:I recently purchased a Vortex, which has the thumbhole stock. I also purchased the cheekpiece which plainly staes on the package "for thumbhole stocks only"

my package instructions states something about only for newer style stocks with the slash marks by the trigger.problem is that if your like me its much easier to order stuff online. excalibur products are a little fuzzy about what works with what. i called the office help at excalibur direct to address this and they basically told me that they offer different options for all there bows that change from year to year. would have been much easier to state will not work with vixen models. there stocks to me are a good design but just miss the mark on length of pull and the way the back of the stock shoulders and puts your eye in the scope. its just off enough to be annoying that you need the extra attachments. at least for me.they must of used a short skinny guy with a tall neck to make the original stock forms.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

What a relief to find this thread! I thought I was the only one having problems with my cheek piece. Mine arrived yesterday.

Even though I had the slash marks, I emailed Customer Service to doubly make sure the cheek piece would fit my Axiom. They said "sure". I said "thanks, I'll order one".

Got it in and the hole in the top did not match up with the hole in the top of the stock. Not even close! :shock:

Hmmm...read the package again...nothing about how to get these puppies lined up. All I kept reading is how this thing just "snap" in.

I tried it on both sides of the stock thinking they goofed somehow. Nothing. I briefly thought about sending it back, but dog-gone-it I wanted that cheek piece on my stock!

I finally did the only thing that I could do, I whipped out my pocket knife and started whittling. I could tell that if I trimmed off the top part of the fins, there was enough space at the inside curve of the cheek piece that it would fit.

Finally, after about 30 minutes of trimming, fitting and trimming more, I was close, real close. I then did what I normally do, I used quite a bit of force and pushed the cheek piece on. It was no small feat!

The problem seemed to be those fins on back. Not only did the upper curved part of the fins not match up to the stock, but the lower part of the fins didn't match up either...at least they didn't until I got my pocket knife after them!

Funny thing though, my POI shifted about 2 inches to the right after I put this thing on. Not sure why it did that, seeing how I'm using the scope, but oh well, I now have a cheek piece on my Axiom and it's more comfortable for me to shoot. Alls well that ends well I guess :D
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

I know the cheekpiece fits on tightly, but trust me guys, the cheekpiece WILL fit. If we didn't make it tight at would be a problem the other way because people would complain about the gap around it while it was on the bow. If the hole doesn't line up when you snap it on just pop it off and align it properly, then snap it into place. As far as the Vixen II, the stock mold we use for it is actually our old stock which has been shortened by 1" to accomodate shorter hunters. When we shortened it we wanted to make it work for both the cheekpiece and the crankaroo, but if it fit the crank it was impossible to make it fit the cheekpiece too. We opted for the crank which is a more important item for most people than the cheekpiece. Another note here, why complain on the forum about something you haven't addressed with us at Excalibur? We can help you to be happy with your crossbows if you have a problem, but if you keep it to yourself and complain we are powerless to help.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

"if you have a problem, but if you keep it to yourself and complain we are powerless to help"

Amen!!!

Bill T and crew make the best crossbow on the market, IMO, and stand behind them 1000%(not a typo). I have owned and shot several crossbows over the past 40 years and Excalibur is my #1 choice for the above reasons.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

Bill T Said; "We can help you to be happy with your crossbows if you have a problem, but if you keep it to yourself and complain we are powerless to help."

This why I bought an Excalibur. You won't get another owner of a Crossbow Manufacture to say or do that. I read other crossbow forums and asked questions for 2 months before making my choice.
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

Migabby wrote:Bill T Said; "We can help you to be happy with your crossbows if you have a problem, but if you keep it to yourself and complain we are powerless to help."
not sure i understand? isnt this the place to get help and info too? i have always called them direct for answers before coming here. can only speak of my experiences with excalibur but gotta say its not all happy moments. i own 3 excaliburs and each one has been a challenge. my vortex cheek piece nearly took a hammer and my big booted foot to get it snapped in. dont understand why the tolerences are too tight. wouldnt say just one or 2 screws hold it in? i was worried and DID call excalibur direct. i also needed a screw. excaliburs office told me they dont have them and try to find one in a hardware store. whats up with that? the next one i bought had limb issues that got fixed. the vixen was bought because i couldnt pass up the price. i ordered a cheek piece not knowing it wouldnt fit. i called the main excalibur office again and was told i was out of luck.i used crossbows many years ago for target shooting but only last year as my state passed hunting seasons i decided to get into it more. as the sport explodes and more states and people get into the sport your gonna get higher expectations and sportsman wanting better or different features.i know it may be hard but please dont take having different needs or suggestions and opinions as all complaints.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Bill. I appreciate you being active in these forums. Please don't take my post about my cheek piece as complaining. I made the cheek piece fit my Axiom. Trust me when I say there was no way that cheek piece was going to fit my stock without some modifications.

I took my pen light and used it to see if there were any pressure points. I even used some graphite and kept fitting the cheek piece to see what was touching and what wasn't.

I could have called Excalibur or the place where I bought it (Keystone Country Store), but all that would have taken time. Probably a week or more to send it back and wait for another. I simply modified the cheek piece. I'm a DIY Mr. Fixit kinda guy, it's what I do.

I use these and other forums as sounding boards for my ideas and complaints. If it was really a major issue, I would be calling Excalibur first thing. But with something as minor (in my opinion) as an ill fitting cheek piece, I decided to fix it myself. I then posted my story here so that if any others have the same problem, it will give them another option to consider. IMHO that's what forums are for!

I now love my Axiom even more than I did. I never thought that was possible! I even look forward to my future Excalibur purchases. I believe they are some of the most accurate and reliable crossbows on the market. Those along with your reputation is why I decided to by an Excalibur. Don't let some of my venting lead you to believe I'm unhappy with my bow. If I was, ya'll would be the first to know!

Keep up the good work!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

roblinco wrote:I recently purchased a Vortex, which has the thumbhole stock. I also purchased the cheekpiece which plainly staes on the package "for thumbhole stocks only"
When I tried to install the cheekpiece on the stock, it was a no-go. I tried the recommended application of force method, and it doesn't even come close to fitting.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bow, but can't figure out why the designers 1) would make a cheekpiece that obviously doesn't fit and 2) once you get the proper cheekpiece, why make it so difficult to install. Why not just use two screws and make it an easy slip-on???

I have been combing various posts and discovered that this problem is a wide-spread one. What is being done to address it? Willl Excalibur offer to install this (or the proper) cheekpiece for me, or am I out 30 bucks?

The cheek piece should fit. My buddy has the same bow and I have the Ibex and both of us had a tough time shoving the piece on, as you know it's a really tight fit. Use a bit more elbow grease, it should go on.
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

foofoo wrote:
Migabby wrote:Bill T Said; "We can help you to be happy with your crossbows if you have a problem, but if you keep it to yourself and complain we are powerless to help."
not sure i understand? isnt this the place to get help and info too? i have always called them direct for answers before coming here. can only speak of my experiences with excalibur but gotta say its not all happy moments. i own 3 excaliburs and each one has been a challenge. my vortex cheek piece nearly took a hammer and my big booted foot to get it snapped in. dont understand why the tolerences are too tight. wouldnt say just one or 2 screws hold it in? i was worried and DID call excalibur direct. i also needed a screw. excaliburs office told me they dont have them and try to find one in a hardware store. whats up with that? the next one i bought had limb issues that got fixed. the vixen was bought because i couldnt pass up the price. i ordered a cheek piece not knowing it wouldnt fit. i called the main excalibur office again and was told i was out of luck.i used crossbows many years ago for target shooting but only last year as my state passed hunting seasons i decided to get into it more. as the sport explodes and more states and people get into the sport your gonna get higher expectations and sportsman wanting better or different features.i know it may be hard but please dont take having different needs or suggestions and opinions as all complaints.
Hey foofoo,

If I had as many problems with products from a company as you've had from Excalibur with your crossbows, I'm not sure I'd keep coming back to the trough. Every person that I know personally who's bought an Excalibur has had nothing but kind service from Kitchener and a top notch tool. Sorry about your bad luck, but surely there must be a reason that you've stayed faithful.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

foofoo wrote:anybody sucessfully mod the excalibur cheek piece to fit the vixen ii. kinda a shame that it wont fit.the bow is a couple months old and didnt know that it needed to have the slash marks by the trigger? of course only found out after buying it. why would they make it so it wouldnt fit one of there bows? the pink version on the web page shows it with slash marks. wonder if the cheekpiece could be grooved out to fit?

IIRC Cossack modded the new cheek piece to fit on and older stock by removing some material. Try giving him a shout.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

its been a year now since getting the first excalibur. i got bit by the bug hard and now own xbows from 2 other manufacturers also. they all have there issues. after calling excalibur direct the 3rd time i gave up. i now deal with danny miller. he has been nothing but helpful and doensnt have NO or out of luck in his answers or send me to home depot for screws.they better double that guys salary . that guy knows how to treat people.