Cold Weather Socks?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Cold Weather Socks?

Post by vixenmaster »

I knowed its very early on this subject. I need severals months advanced info cause i have to save up to buy anything over $20 at one time. So anyone knowed some good one's that are affordable fer me ? Thx
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Re: Cold Weather Socks?

Post by VixChix »

I don't know if this will help you, but I find the biggest problem in cold weather is keeping dry feet. If my feet are dry, they're warm. I recently discovered socks made from bamboo rayon. They are my new all-time favorite. Very comfortable, not bulky, and best of all, my feet stay dry.

I've tried all sorts of other insoles and socks, wool, silk, wool-silk blends, liners, various poly-blends, various thicknesses.... It's been a lifetime of striving for warm feet.

The other thing that I've found to work extremely well are these insoles:
http://www.polarwrap.com/default.aspx?p ... d=37&show=
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Boot Blankets! Problem solved.I ALWAYS had cold feet and tried everything from Flip Flops to Pack Boots. I just wear whatever boot I needn get on stand and slip on the Boot Blanks and I can go till my stomach growls!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I too like the polar wrap insoles. I found my socks don't have to be nearly as good with those things in my boot.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

One way might be to consider air-activated toe warmers, the kind that are contoured to fit the toe of a boot. They cost about a dollar for a pair and boy do they work. Then wear any of the insulated boots you already have, with any socks, even plain old white sweat socks. These things will keep your toes warm, and if your toes are warm, you're all set. I hunt in northern MI and I can almost get through the entire deer season wearing my uninsulated knee-high rubber boots with these things. They are awesome. I have some cold weather Rocky Boots that I haven't worn in two years since I started using the toe warmers. If you have a K-mart or Walmart nearby, watch for a sale on them and you can get-em even cheaper. Just a thought.
In the Wind.......
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

Actually I find the carbon activated foot warmers can't do it much at all. It will extend your time in the stand but they don't seem to last anywhere near as long as the handwarmers do.

I've been looking at these things you put over your boots....the name escapes me right now..

***edit***

Arctic Shield Boot Insulators

Mike
Last edited by CDN Taxman on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by AndreTTOW »

REAL wool socks.

Nothing stays warmer than wool.

Plus I throw a couple of those warming pads in there. They stay nice and toasty for about 4 hours...then I switch them out for new ones and can last all afternoon.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Honourable John Gilbert "Jack" Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)
wabi

Post by wabi »

I buy/wear two types of socks.
Ankle height cotton for summer.
Over the calf height wool for the other three seasons. (the more wool content, and the heavier the better)
I bought 12 pairs of "no label" wool socks on eBay a couple years ago for less than $20., and am still wearing them.
Just looked at eBay prices and none of those deals are available anymore. Looks like lots of 4 or 6 pairs (for the price I paid for 12) are the going "deals" today. :roll:
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use a sock from Bass Pro, Redhead actually. It is called a "lifetime sock", guaranteed to last your lifetime or they replace them, for free. Very warm and comfortable, to the tune of about $20.
I read a lot about sock liners, may be just the ticket.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
the elf

Post by the elf »

Just remember----make sure that your feet are not crammed into your boots tightly
or your feet will be cold no matter what you put on them---you need the room to
be able to wiggle your toes freely--to help with the circulation. The same thing goes
for your hands--- a pair of loose fitting mitts are better than a pair of gloves as the
whole hand gets warm at once--being in the same space. If I am in for a long sit
I use a muff--then when that MOMENT arrives I don't feel the cold for that little
time that my hands are exposed.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

First off, never cotton! But I have found it best to wear a wicking liner sock to keep your foot dry. And then a wool sock over the top. I use to swear by SmartWool brand socks but they are extremely expensive for socks. They are of good quality and will last a long time, but... I have found that the cheaper Merino wool socks at Wal Mart work good for me too. But again wearing these over a wicking liner sock.
Why ride when you can walk!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

As stated " Must keep your feet dry " .
Can`t get them anymore but the Kaufman arctic boots that are good to -100 deg . They are like walking in snowshoes but they are very warm . When me and dad hunted in Sask. it warmed up to -40 the first couple of days . We were able to hunt all day and did not have cold feet . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
secret

Post by secret »

I bought 6 pairs of polly-pro from cabelas in 1989 and i still use those same socks. i yet have found any socks that are similar in design.all red with black elastic top. 100% polly-pro. they wick all moister away from feet.they almost look like closed loop burber carpet.my feet have never got cold even ice fishing.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

What it may really come down to is your circulation. I know guys who never get cold feet and guys who get 10 feet from the car and are ready to turn back. I've read some great tips here in this thread and I would have to say that a good wool sock with an underliner like polypro to wick-away sweat and a somewhat loose fit so you have a little wiggle room seems to be the ticket. This can be had for that 20 bucks sounds like.
In the Wind.......
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Wool pants, wool shirt, wool socks, works for me, I've never heard of a sheep freezing :lol: This is if I know I'm going to set all day.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers