Only seen patents on Internet but none for sale!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ComfyBear

Re: Only seen patents on Internet but none for sale!

Post by ComfyBear »

Very interesting 1st post.
It seems like you're "testing" the waters.
Happy Phishing :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

I will assume that you are asking an honest question and would like to have an honest answer.

If you are unable to use a cocking rope and if you shoot an Excalibur crossbow, contact Danny Miller and have him to install a TenPoint AccuDraw on your crossbow.

This would be much easier and simpler than having to carry a cocking stick around with you.
Boo

Post by Boo »

With the exception of the Exomax most people have no issues with cocking the bows with a rope cocker. If one cannot cock a bow you need only go to a lower poundage bow. Even the lowest bow will take the biggest animals of North America. That been said I cannot begin to imagine carrying a rod in lieu of a cocking rope. I can see however where someone at a 3D shoot or someone at a bench would like something that you describe.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Here's a link on them. Termed 'goats foot' or 'gaffle'. The xbows they were used on had much shorter draw lengths than todays models, suspect that will be a problem. Welcome to the forum!
LINK
"Eze 18:21"
wabi

Post by wabi »

onederer wrote:But, the winder and the handle are a pain to lug around the hunting field, ................
I would think the crankeroo would be a lot easier to carry than the cocking device you suggest.
wabi
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I think this gentleman may have seen the Swiss Twinbow's cocking device and may be of the hope there is a similar device that would be available as an aftermarket item. Not sure, but the best advice I've read is to have Danny Miller install the Ten-point cocking aide. Good luck.
In the Wind.......
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Sounds good. I might need one someday. Show us what you got.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Can you make a sketch of your idea? Take a pic and post it.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I just purchased a book called ( The book of the cross bow by Ralph Payne-Gallwey) It covers cross bows of the middle ages and has many drawings of such devices but their draw lengths seamed very short.
However some people cocked the bow with a S type hook on a belt worn around the waist the string was put on the hook and then you push dawn on the foot stirrup to cock.
I got this book today and it is loaded with 248 illustrations and a ton of info I think I am going to like it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

onederer wrote:[ I thought of something that would easily take advantage of leverage with 1 easy pull, that could quickly set a crossbow string. And that lever could be used in a sitting position, much the same way as a winder reel does.
!

I dont think that would ever out do a crank style cocker..The lever you discribe in my mind would require your foot to hold down the sturip and the pull on the lever..seems to me the leverage is going to be pretty strong pulling on your foot and trying to flip the xbow so to speak...Like said before the crank is the best for a handicapped person. Im sure the xbow companys have explored all avenues in this subject and found the best to date..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am still having a hard time with this..
You are proposing a steel bar that is capable of moving a string an average of 15". Using your little rock, big rock scenario the balance point would have to be a minimum 25% of the actual length, which would make the cocking handle about 60", also known as 5'. I just don't see how that would be easier to carry than a crankaroo?
As far as speed, to the the best of my knowledge most guys would do this stage when they exit their vehicle, most are lucky to get a single shot on a hunting excursion, let alone a second shot, more specifically a second shot that would require a speedy re-cocking of the bow.
I am intrigued, I could really use a system like that at home where the bar could lean against a fence, but I am still trying to get my head around what it would look like in a unit made for the field.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Back in the 60s there was a xbow that came with a cocking handle however it was a short bow. I have a gunshop/machine shop as a side job when i am not at my real job. I believe it can be done with a leverage point as in a elbow somewhere on it body some what like a chain tightener, i will give a try when i have time but it could be after 1-1-11. P.S. keep asking me are i will forget.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Rufus wrote:Back in the 60s there was a xbow that came with a cocking handle however it was a short bow. I have a gunshop/machine shop as a side job when i am not at my real job. I believe it can be done with a leverage point as in a elbow somewhere on it body some what like a chain tightener, i will give a try when i have time but it could be after 1-1-11. P.S. keep asking me are i will forget.

I had one of those xbows given to me by one of my uncles, it needed a string or cable can't remember which, nobody really had repair shops back then, I think he bought it at Western auto, either or it was never fixed and thrown away.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day, sorry but for the life of me l cant understand how a cocking lever could be easier than a rope cocker to cock your bow or less to manage & carry around than a crankaroo? regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

At 5 feet, it could double as a shooting stick.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen