Painting limbs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chuck Gravel

Painting limbs

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I have a 2009 equinox and just had my riser and rail powdercoated black and am going to pick them up tomorrow and was looking at painting my limbs black and stencil some leaves or ferns on them and had a few questions:

what type of prep is needed for the limbs?

what type of paint? how many coats

what type of finish on top on the paint if any?

I've read of people sanding limbs then painting and matte clear coat and others that just paint with a paint used for bumpers. any help would be apperciated
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
chris4570

Re: Painting limbs

Post by chris4570 »

I painted my exocet in 2003. It is still holding up quite well.

I used Krylon camo spray paint. The only prep I really did was to tape off any parts I didn't want paint on. No sanding in between. No clear coat required.

You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Thanks for the reply chris. Looks like as i pick up my rail and rider ill head over to walmart and pick up some spray paint. Ill post pics when its all assembled
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I have to ask why would you take the most beautifully camouflaged bow paint it black and then stencil in some leafs and ferns to camo it :?:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

chris4570 wrote:I painted my exocet in 2003. It is still holding up quite well.

I used Krylon camo spray paint. The only prep I really did was to tape off any parts I didn't want paint on. No sanding in between. No clear coat required.

I like the Ground Pounder Quiver Mount. Looks just like mine. LOL
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

gerald strine: dont get me wrong the camo is very nice, but im not the biggest fan of having everything camo. id rather have something that fits better in the area that im hunting in, plus it gives me a one of a kind bow
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Krylon is touted as needing no prep when used on plastic. Having tried it years ago I found, on the contrary, that on limbs that are put under stress cracking and peeling will occur. I ended up having to sand and re-paint my limbs numerous times. Finally having had enough, I got rid of that particular bow.

Before you make a mistake consider that as good as Krylon is for plastics, on fiberglass limbs it doesn't last. Unless professional done, any paint that comes out of a can will never last like the factory infused painted limbs.

If you're really set on painting your limbs, I suggest that you get set of factory "comestically blemished" limbs.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

ComfyBear wrote:Krylon is touted as needing no prep when used on plastic. Having tried it years ago I found, on the contrary, that on limbs that are put under stress cracking and peeling will occur. I ended up having to sand and re-paint my limbs numerous times. Finally having had enough, I got rid of that particular bow.

Before you make a mistake consider that as good as Krylon is for plastics, on fiberglass limbs it doesn't last. Unless professional done, any paint that comes out of a can will never last like the factory infused painted limbs.

If you're really set on painting your limbs, I suggest that you get set of factory "comestically blemished" limbs.

I am not disputing that you had trouble with the paint, but I can honestly say that for 6+ years I have not had any flaking issues. Some areas have worn for sure(chiefly the mag tips, and the grip). Nothing a shot of paint can't fix, from time to time. But the worst that is going to happen is (for mine anyways) you will see some brown.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

chris4570 wrote:Nothing a shot of paint can't fix, from time to time. But the worst that is going to happen is (for mine anyways) you will see some brown.
That's also the problem I was encountered with. The only reason I tried painting was because I detested the $hit, Rrrr I mean Deer Brown.

After, I painted it a gorgeous black, it looked stunning against the grey rail and riser. Unfortunately, I found out that the paint wore off much too easily. Sanding and re-painting was a pain and I had regrets.

As much as I detested the brown, had I known the Krylon wouldn't last, even with a clear coat, I wouldn't have bothered.

Luckily I solved my problem fairly easy, I just bought another Excalibur with camo. I loved the camo so much that soon thereafter I bought yet another Excalibur. :wink:

I'm happy to said that the factory paint on both looks as good today as the day I bought them. :D
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

comfy bear: thanks for the info, i already painted them before i read your post but only time wil tell, i wiped down my limbs with ammonia like it said on the can and am going to put multiple coats on it. im also going to let it set and fully cure for the 7 days before putting any pressure on them. i put the black rail and riser on it and it looks really good with the thumbhole stock
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125