String leeches

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

curtisgreen110683

String leeches

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

I put the small limbsaver stick on dampeners on my Phoenix, two on the inside on each limb, and one on each side of the scope mount. I put one string leech on each side of my string when I switched to the flemished dyna string. It sounded quieter than any crossbow I have ever heard, BUT, they only lasted about 15 shots and they were no more... If anybody has any ideas on how to get them to stay on and together or an alternative product to use in place of them please let me know as I will keep looking and trying new things. Thanks everyone!
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
Boo

Re: String leeches

Post by Boo »

Served on Cat Whiskers are the only thing I've seen stay on and they stay on for a very long time.
http://www.crossbow-review.com/TechCorner/Don_P2.htm
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Last fall I bought some of the "Bow Jacks" brand string leeches. They use some(one on each side of each leech)tiny zip ties to secure them to the string.I was aware from reading some posts on the forum that keeping the leeches on the string was not easy,but thought now these will stay put with the zip ties.I tightened the zip ties up real good and tight.I had the soft rubber squeezed out all around. On the FIRST shot the one on the left side hit me in the head!!! The right one made three shots!! Some lessons dont take too long to learn.Boo has the system that works.
curtisgreen110683

Great, thank you! :D
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
curtisgreen110683

I had that happen to me with the factory string but thought the flemished would hold them better. The bows just shoot so hard it's amazing. The first one bounced off my glasses, and the second one just sort of floated there like it was in a cartoon until it fell to the ground... I think the whiskers are the way to go and I will get back to ya if I find something that works any better.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Curtis, for what it's worth, I tried them and they didn't stay on even 5 shots. I found one 10 yards BEHIND me! I even tried reinstalling them and just putting a few strands on one side. Didn't help. Still came off.

Curious though, what made you think to put some on the scope mount? I did notice some "mini" limb saver quads at BPS, but grab a few of them and stick them somewhere if they work.

Don
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I highly recommend a boo string with whiskers, complimented with a pair of string stoppers. With those two installed on my bow i was amazed at the difference. I can hear the arrow smack the target over the sound of my bow! Its that quiet. But it never will be 100% silent.

I dont know how long you have been shooting the excal, but Don(boo) suggests shooting the stock excalibur string until you have developed a habit of not dry-firing. Trust me, it happens to us all at some time or another. :wink:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Boo

Post by Boo »

OkXbowHunter wrote:Curtis, for what it's worth, I tried them and they didn't stay on even 5 shots. I found one 10 yards BEHIND me! I even tried reinstalling them and just putting a few strands on one side. Didn't help. Still came off.

Curious though, what made you think to put some on the scope mount? I did notice some "mini" limb saver quads at BPS, but grab a few of them and stick them somewhere if they work.

Don
If you serve the whiskers on properly they will stay on for hundreds of shots. Many here can confirm that. Check out the link I posted.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

To which "they" are you making reference? Just the string leeches or everything - limbsavers included? Like others have mentioned I've had no liuck with the leeches and these were ones billed as being for crossbows. My limbsavers did not stay in place on the limbs of my Exocet however I've had no problems with my limbsaves staying put placed on the top side CB limb bracket. Don't know whether or not the limbsavers have made a dimes worth of difference (other than I think they look cool) but they'll stay there until I put on the Excalibur's STS equivilent [due out any day now... right? :) ].

Bill K.

curtisgreen110683

OkXbowHunter wrote:Curtis, for what it's worth, I tried them and they didn't stay on even 5 shots. I found one 10 yards BEHIND me! I even tried reinstalling them and just putting a few strands on one side. Didn't help. Still came off.

Don

I watched the video of "Crossbows like you've never seen before" (Don't quote me on the title) and I noticed how much the scope and rail recoil just like the rest of the xbow, so I figured it couldn't hurt to throw one on each side of the mount just to see how much of a difference it would make. I noticed that it took some of the shake out but nothing to write home about and it makes it just a little bit easier to watch the bolt hit home through the scope as apposed to pulling away from the eye piece and watching. As for the string leeches I am almost certain they were a waste of time, money, and effort. But boy did it shoot smooth with em... And I just switched to the better string after shooting the serving off the factory string getting everything broke in, and a dry fire... :lol: Now all that is left to do is trim lanes around the killin tree and start stacking the quadrupeds... I'll try to get some pictures up soon of how I arranged those mini's on my Phoenix... And For Bill K. I was just talking about the leeches, the mini's seem to work great for me.
curtisgreen110683

I hope this helps... There is a dampener on the other side of the scope mount, just didn't take a pic. Those are limbsaver mini's, I got them from ebay I believe...
curtisgreen110683

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VtGRcA3mGs

I got the idea from Uncle Ted...
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

@ Bill, I was talking about the string leeches from Limb Saver. Couldn't get them to stay on no matter what I tried.

@ Boo. I've seen your video. I was so exhausted after watching it, than when I order a string from you, I'll gladly pay you the extra $20 to put the Whiskers on for me! Man, what a job!

@ Curtis. Yeah, I saw that video of Uncle Ted as well. That's why I have 4 LS Quads on my limbs :)

I'm shooting my bow between 20 and 40 times a day right now. Just trying different things. You know...a boy out playin' with his new toy...

Haven't had one of those "you know what's" yet. (Can't say it or I might jinx myself.) I'm trying to be extra careful and get into a habit of always flipping the safety on after cocking it. So far, so good...knocking on wood.

Don
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
curtisgreen110683

The cat whiskers did the trick, thanks guys!!!