Scope Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

retrieverman

Scope Question

Post by retrieverman »

I am new here and just getting my first crossbow, and I have read the thread about the Lumizone scope problems.

Is there any reason that I can't mount a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 illuminated scope on my crossbow?

I have been told that the recoil is "different" than a rifle and will be harder on the scope, but I have had this Leupold mounted on a rifle chambered in 9.3x62 where it held zero perfectly.

I also have a Doctor Optiks red dot sight and a couple of Aimpoints. How would these be on my bow?

Thanks for humoring the newbie!Image
Dereck

Re: Scope Question

Post by Dereck »

Welcome
Should be no problem I know of a member who only uses rifle scopes on his crossbows for hunting.the red dots would work as well don't know many that use them when I bought my bow the owner had a Tasco red dot and liked the way it worked.
Can't help much more than that as I shoot open sights on my Phoenix
The scope mount will take weaver style mounts.
Tenpoint Matrix
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sure you mount & use yer scope on yer Bow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Put that Leupold on it and don't look back, Welcome to the forum.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

Recently bought a Leupold from Danny Miller (Excalibur warranty rep for the USA) and put it on my Phoenix.
Danny says he's had 0 problems with the Leupold scopes on Excalibur crossbows over the years. Not one scope failure with Leupold!
wabi
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Can't go much better than that.
In the Wind.......
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Thanks for the replies! My Dad just got an Ibex and was talked into buying the package deal with the Lumizone scope, and I had never heard of that brand and did a little homework on it. The reviews are pretty mixed. From shooting it and handling it only once, it appears to be a decent scope, but I prefer "proven" brand glass for field use.

I do like the illumination and ballistic reticle of the Lumizone, but for no more than 30 yard shooting, I believe I can figure out the hold over or under using my Leupold.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Don't base you use on that thread, there are several thousand very happy Varizone and Lumizone users out there. The scope is a perfect match for the bow.
If you have a Leupold sitting around, by all means use it though! You may want to consider sending it back to Leupold and let them know your intents for the scope, they will adjust the parallax.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Welcome to the forum!

Don't know about CBs but for sure you don't want to use a firearms rifle scope on a spring air rifle. The repeated forward and backwards recoil of a spring air rifle can over time (sometimes a very short time) ruin even a very well built firearms scope. Good to learn there isn't an issue with CBs.

Bill K.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Pydpiper wrote:Don't base you use on that thread, there are several thousand very happy Varizone and Lumizone users out there. The scope is a perfect match for the bow.
If you have a Leupold sitting around, by all means use it though! You may want to consider sending it back to Leupold and let them know your intents for the scope, they will adjust the parallax.
I am well aware that every company can produce a lemon every now and then, but on the Cabelas site, the reviews were like 50:50 pros to cons. I don't consider myself a trophy hunter, but I am very selective on what size deer I shoot and don't want my scope to crap out when I am hunting 500 miles from home.

I do have a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 with an illuminated reticle sitting in my safe, and that is probably the way I will go. As I said, I also have a Docter Optik red dot sight and a couple Aimpoint CompML3 2 MOA sights (all on Weaver QD mounts), and I might sight in one of them as a back up.

Thanks for the input!