extremely early rut or immature deer ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RAMAMOE

extremely early rut or immature deer ??

Post by RAMAMOE »

Hi All:
I live in northern Ontario..A co-worker got some pics of a young buck mounting a doe last week AUGUST 25..I know up here we had an early spring and a long summer . does this mean we are going to have an early fall..Is this buck just rehearsing for the big fall show . Is this kind of activity normal..I have been hunting 30 years and never seen or heard of this kind of rutting behavior so early..any comments would be appreciated . I am hoping to get the pics and will post soon
thanks
stay safe in your stands buckle up
Equinox - Varizone - Rage 100 3 blade - xcal. firebolts
"When they hear the "TWANG" it's already too late"
hunter7558

Re: extremely early rut or immature deer ??

Post by hunter7558 »

That a guy being a guy.... 8) .....it must have been to immature deer messing around.... (experimenting)
WISH I COULD SHOOT A DEER SOMEDAY!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bucks are ready all year long . . .it's that doe that has issues. :wink:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

The photoperiod (lenght of day and daylight) controls the rut and the testosterone levels in all bucks. This little guy is doing something farmers see quite often with cattle, I think the term is called "Bulling" Cows (females) try to mount cows (other females) and young calves try to mount their mothers. Deer do the same thing. A biologist could give you a real explaination but that young buck was not in rut.
In the Wind.......
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Check this out . . .

"North of Florida, rut behavior of males is highly synchronized and triggered by the shortening day- lengths in late fall. However, in Florida and other southern latitudes(such as Texas and Venezuela), breeding is not as synchronized and occurs in all months. The timing of rut differs by region within the state of Florida and may also differ from one year to the next within the same region. Rut in the Nassau, Duval counties' area usually occurs from October through January. The onset of rut in the Panhandle is commonly between a month or two later than that in the northeast. Breeding in south Florida occurs year-round with a peak of rut activity from June through November. Key deer rut occurs from September through December"

Here's the link . . . http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw121

I knew the bucks were ready all year long! :P
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I was cutting trails and shooting lanes last week and came across a fresh scrape line, one in particular caught my attention, t had a frog sitting on moist soil. I reached in with my machete and took a sample, it reeked of pee! (the soil not the frog)
The scrape line was a surprise on it's own so I emailed a friend that has a substantial amount more experience than I do. He said the scrapes are normal but being peed on already wasn't.
Dealing with wild animals full time I can definitely say that they have all been out of character this year, litter sizes have been larger, and certain stages that I have learned to count on have also changed, but most fell a few weeks behind, not ahead.
I think it is going to be a very interesting deer season, and I look forward to every second of it. :D
If I knew what to expect, I probably wouldn't enjoy it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

as said, they do that all year long but everyone seldom seems it.. doe mount doe and bucks mount bucks LOL.. just like cattle :lol: :lol:

you would be amazed what animals do we seldom see all year:)
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Just boys being boys. I've seen a 2 month old fawn try to mount his sister. :oops: then his mom; he paid for that :lol:
BTW scrapes are made by both genders Scrapes are the FaceBook of the species, where they check to see who'se in town.The ones the bucks make during the rut are just much more numerous and pronounced.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
catcher

Post by catcher »

I also found a scrape on Thursday. Which I thought was odd. ...... Maybe the little guy was just practicing :lol: practice makes best.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Summer,
I stand corrected, and I learned something today. Up here in the Northern part of the continent, the rut is controlled by the photoperiod. I also understand that there is a little "lee-way" within that as well.
In the Wind.......
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

crazyfarmer wrote:as said, they do that all year long but everyone seldom seems it.. doe mount doe and bucks mount bucks LOL.. just like cattle :lol: :lol:

you would be amazed what animals do we seldom see all year:)
I was hunting the November riffle season one year when I had a couple of deer come in that I thought were all does after identifying them, well after browsing a few minuets one of the deer mounts the other one and starts going at it :shock: I put my scope on that deer and no matter how hard I tried I could not grow antlers on any of those deer. :roll:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

It was probably a button buck. I witnessed this very thing last November right in the front yard of my cabin at 3 in the morning. Game biologists do confirm this. In an area with a lopsided buck to doe ratio (more does than bucks), when the peak of the rut is on, the bucks cannot keep up with demand, so even the little guys get in on the action. That's why the MI DNR claims most does get bred, even in high buck-kill areas, because they know the little guys are actually capable.
In the Wind.......