Broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

timmy65

Broadhead

Post by timmy65 »

What broadheads are recommened for the Phoenix crossbow? 20" Firebolt arrows w/aluminum inserts and150 grain practice tips
Last edited by timmy65 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi

Re: Broadhead

Post by wabi »

Several broadheads will give good results, but your arrow has a lot to do with the accuracy results.
Arrow weight, balance (FOC), fletching (type & amount of helical or offset), straightness, insert alignment, etc. all play an important part in the equation.

I've found SlickTricks, G-5 Montecs, Wac'Em Exits, and Wasp JakHammers all to be accurate from my Phoenix. And I'm sure many more would give good results.
wabi
timmy65

Post by timmy65 »

Thanks wabi! Just got the x-bow from Cabelas a week ago. Shot it today for the 1st time. 150 graintips w/Firebolts. After 1 adjustment it was dead on at 20 yards. Would like the same results with broadheads!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Excal Bolt Cutters 150gr, Slick Trick X-Bow Trick 175rgr are two good choices.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sometimes it's easy to find that accuracy, but not always.

About all you can do is try one of the highly recommended brands of a style you like and see what happens.

No two bows are identical, and arrows vary a lot in qualities, and sometimes it takes a bit of experimenting to find a perfect match.
Look for and read the accuracy reports here on the forum. Take note of the model Excalibur, and the type of arrow the reporter is using.

I'm getting great accuracy with my Phoenix using 100gr Wac'Em Exit heads and a 18.5" 2215 aluminum arrow fletched with 2" Blazers at 4º offset. If you shoot another model Excalibur and factory FireBolts you may not get the same results!!!!!!!! :wink:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if you shoot a 150grain practice tip, make sure the bhead is 150 also;)

i personally like 100-125grain heads but its to each their own... rage and slick tricks are the top 2 for me
timmy65

Post by timmy65 »

The 150 grain practice tips came with my x-bow package, so i used them. I was thinking of trying 125s that i still have from compound last year. I know there is a better selection in that weight for broadheads. If i do change to 125s, has any one tried Tru-fire mechanicals or the new one from Barnett for x-bows? Both have "plunger" style tips!
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Spitfire 100g work great for me.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It depends some on what you are hunting. You might want a heavy set up for Moose or Eelphant. :shock: However, for deer a 125 gr works really well. You can get good flight characteristics from most of the top brand broadheads.

I like the Stricknines, the Spitfires and the Slick Tricks . . .in that order.

Use the search engine at the top of the page. There is a lot of debate about which broadhead is best. They all can perform. It's personal preference. I find the mechanicals to be dependable, accurate, and deadly. I like larger cutting surfaces. The more cutting, the better.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

with the alum. inserts the heavier broadhead maybe a good idea. Most use a brass insert(110 grain) when they use 100-125 broadheads.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I have had no problem out to 46 yrds taking deer with aluminum inserts and 100g Spitfires.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Kelley wrote:I have had no problem out to 46 yrds taking deer with aluminum inserts and 100g Spitfires.
Kelley

I truly know that every combo used on this forum will harvest game, shot placement is 99% of what makes them work

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
timmy65

Dryfired

Post by timmy65 »

Just joined the "dryfiring club"! Just about cried! Never did with any bow before! (Yes, stupidity on my part!) Looked over the x-bow, even shot it. I think it's ok! Any suggestions to make sure it's alright?
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Welcome to the club, Timmy. Just be glad it was an excal and not a horton or barnett or you might be picking limbolts out of your teeth. I use factory strings for that reason. IMO the only thing that keeps my excals from being "perfect" is their lack of an antidryfire mechanism. I know a lot of "died in the wool" excal addicts disagree with adding that mechanism to excals, but think about it, it would be a perfect addition......might even save the company a few limbs not counting that dreaded, sphincter tightening trauma it puts us excal owners in when we have a brain fart and forget to load an arrow..
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
timmy65

Post by timmy65 »

Thanks Mister B! Made me laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: