Whack! Doe down.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Whack! Doe down.

Post by DuckHunt »

Today was the opening day for the antlerless only early season in Northern Virginia. I found myself up a tree nice and early. It was warm. I was sweating by the time I got up the tree. I saw nothing but a couple squirrels for the first hour. About 6:55am I noticed a deer about 35 yards away. It ended up being a small buck. As I was moving around getting the distance and a better look at him with my rangefinder I should have been sitting still looking for other deer. Another set of eye saw me move or smelled me. The small buck and two others departed back the way they came hastily. Nothing like getting busted by the first deer of the season. :roll:

About 10 minutes later a few turkey stolled by. Its much more fun when you are seeing something.

At 7:15am a nice old doe came walking down a trail that crosses within 20 yards of my stand. I first saw her about 40 yards away so I was prepared. I had to stand to clear some limbs and took a very slightly quartering toward shot at 13 yards with my ExoMax. Whack. She departed just as hastily as the others.

I gave her about an hour just in case something else wanted to stroll past. I found my FireBolt burried broadhead deep in a root. I had to unscrew the arrow and leave the Scorpion XP. Only the threads were showing.

A check in the immediate vicinity of the arrow and 20 yards down the path turned up nothing. 50 yards, nothing. 75 yards, nothing. I was about 90 yards down the path before I found any blood, and it wasn't much. I really began to second guess my shot. A small drop or splatter every 10 to 20 feet was all I was finding. About 120 yards away, I found more blood. It started to look like it should with a good splattered path for about 10 yards, then back to a trickle, then nothing. I could tell the general direction so I continued to slip that way. I found her about 150 yards way in a thicket.

The shot was near perfect for a double lung hit. It entered about 4 inches down from the spine just behind the shoulder and exited the opposite side bottom just behind the last rib. Inside the lungs were liquid. I cannot believe how little blood actually exited this deer considering the hit. There was far more blood in the chest cavity that there was on the ground. My only guess is that the hide was somehow covering the exit hole. Never give up on a blood trail.

Its time to watch some football and get this old lady in the freezer.

DuckHunt
Boo

Re: Whack! Doe down.

Post by Boo »

Congratulations! Must be nice!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

It was a good death-------nice job---Im so glad season is almost here--Oct 1st for us...I hope it gets a bit cooler...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congrats on the Doe! What a relief to be seeing harvest piuctures again and the stories that accompany them! Its the next best thing to taking one yourself.
Last edited by one shot scott on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Congrats on that nice doe.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
JimM

Post by JimM »

Congrats,

i think im going out this evening. Its getting real windy over here in Lessburg. i think im going to take a nap and make up my mind later.its a long season. no rush
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

And so it begins! GOOD JOB!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

CONGRATS ON SOME FINE CUSINE

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
pa vince

Post by pa vince »

Congrats!! Great shot and "Great Tracking" I can't wait for the season to open here in Pa.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

nice job and good looking deer.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess the season is officially started now, good to see some pics of kills again.
wabi
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Congrats on the first posted kill of 2010!!!!!! Come oooooonnnnnn Oct 1.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Congratulations on the first of the season! Our season starts next weekend. It will be after the weekend before I can go though.
Why ride when you can walk!
Normous

Post by Normous »

The season begins! Nice shot!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gogo

Post by gogo »

Nice doe and great tracking job. My hunting fever just got worse and we have to wait till oct 1. Keep them pics coming everyone.