Which Broadhead with aluminum inserts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

Which Broadhead with aluminum inserts?

Post by mchurch »

I have an Excal Equinox and shoot Firebolts with aluminum inserts. For those with aluminum inserts, what broadhead and what grain weight are you shooting?
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Cossack

Re: Which Broadhead with aluminum inserts?

Post by Cossack »

Crossbow Tricks by Slick Tricks
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

you can use pretty much any broad head you would have used for a compound bow, weight differing from 85,100,125,150, and 175 grain broadheads, just stay over the 350 grain minimum arrow weight, I use a 125 grain vortex pro extreme. i havent used these yet but they fly dead on with the field tips.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use 100 & 125 gr BH's diff Bow & weight arrow set-up
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

I have an EQUINOX and I am shooting Fire bolts with Brass inserts, Xact mechanical broadheads and Luminocks.
Total weight is 450 grains; I have no idea how fast they are going? any one out there care to guess!
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I shoot the stock arrows with aluminum inserts every time I hunt. I shoot 100 grain expanding heads in a number of brands. Most all of them have worked great. It can be a bit tricky to get 100 grain fixed blade heads to fly great on stock FireBolts. Some have done it, but I haven't had any luck at it. I couldn't get Slick Tricks or Wasp Boss to fly consistently on the stock arrows. Now put a brass insert in them, and everything shoots straight. You just sacrifice a little speed, but gain accuracy with a bunch of broadheads and make the bow quieter in the process.

I haven't tried any 125grain fixed blade heads. Maybe the added 25 grains would make the difference.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I'd guess right around 315 fps.

As for the Aluminum inserts, I'd go at least 150 gr on the broadhead.

BUT, I've heard the Slick tricks are awesome so a 100gr. Slick trick just might do you well.
In the Wind.......
munch

Post by munch »

Hazmat wrote:I have an EQUINOX and I am shooting Fire bolts with Brass inserts, Xact mechanical broadheads and Luminocks.
Total weight is 450 grains; I have no idea how fast they are going? any one out there care to guess!
chris no idea i have an exomag and if it was not packed for moose hunting i could tell you. if you are ever down this way i have a chrony and we can check .here is a good link if you do find the speed .will tell you KE
http://www.dewclawarchery.com/Kinetic_E ... -a/157.htm
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
deer nut

Post by deer nut »

I shoot the 150 grain boltcutter broadheads they shoot great out to 50 yds.NC just legalized crossbows so i just got my bow a few wks ago i tried thunderheads,muzzy,and G5 montecs.Only thing that would fly consistently was the boltcutter. Next year i might try brass inserts and lighter broadheads.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I shoot the firebolts with aluminum inserts and slick trick 175 grain head and they fly well and hit where the field points do. the slick trick 175 comes with matching field points.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
steve

Post by steve »

I tried using the firebolts with a 100 grain slick trick and my shots were all over the place. Switched to slick trick 125's and is right on now. Just wondering why you would use a brass insert to add weight instead of using a heavier broadhead?
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

It's not the alum insert, some bh need extra help and some can't get enough, i've got 13% foc with a 352gr 19in bolt and have no prob hitting what I aim at, brass inserts and high foc are voiced as a must to make your bow accurate, this is not so period.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

any arrow will drive tacs.. most choose a slightly heavier arrow and more FOC to help with wind or a little twig. A lighter arrow will deflect alot quicker if it hits a limb.

Think of a train going through a house.. the train wont move and will keep going straight. A little volvo would go through it, but more than likely change direction slightly :lol: :lol:

100grains will work fine.. you can drive tacs with them at 375grain total weight which is over the 350grain min excal reccomends everyone to use on that bow.

I'd opt for a 125grain bhead and get slightly better FOC. I dont like the 150-175grain heads but thats me.. They work, but i'd rather have some speed and still plenty of punch
Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox »

With my Phoenix and 2219 shafts I have had good luck with the Zwickey 125 Eskimo with bleeders atop a 42 grain full length aluminum insert. Glued on with hot melt they average 170 grains and fly just fine with aluminum inserts and either 4" feathers or vanes with some helical. That combo weighs 502 grain, if you're looking for a heavy shaft with a 25 yard sight in this might be the ticket. YMMV
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Twigs will change the flight, but not from a good sharp BH it will cut a small twig, if your plastic fletching brushes it game over, has nothing to do with weight.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers