O/T: Rifle Stock Damage

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

prossbow

O/T: Rifle Stock Damage

Post by prossbow »

I bought a Browning A-Bolt - Medallion in .270 this summer, it's used and due to an unfortunate chain of events where on a damp day hunting with his (previous owner) hunting knife forgotten in his rear pocket the butt of his knife met the stock of his gun resulting in about 25 or so little picks in the finish.

I was wondering if there was any product that I could use to reseal the finish and protect the wood from potentially getting damaged. It appears to only be the finish that is "dented", if you will, and the edges of each pick or dent is slight whitened.

A friend (by no means an expert) suggested I find some tru-oil. Any other suggestions? Tru-oil isn't readily available in my area to my knowledge.

Thank you.
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Re: O/T: Rifle Stock Damage

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

You can steam out the dents with a steam iron and a damp cloth. Im not a expert but this worked well on a beloved 7mm mag of mine. Keep the cloth wet and right over the dent and the steam from the iron right over it and it will soon pull it right out. It did not damage the finish at all. I can't recall who told me about this but it worked well for me. :D
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You can get tru oil at Cabelas but I believe the Browings have a clear polycoat finish not sure that would work.
I refinished a 12 gauge in tru oil and liked the results easy to work with.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

The steam iron will raise the wood of the stock, but not the finish. IF the little dents are through the finish and into the wood, you'll have to strip ALL the finish off the stock, raise the dents with the steam iron, lightly sand the entire stock with with 0000 steel wool, and refinish. If you do this, be very light with your sanding so as not to go through the stain on the stock. You cannot "top coat" the spots to make them invisible. If the little spots are not through the finish, you can fill them in with a wipe-on or brush-on polyurethane, but they will show. All this is not as hard as it may sound, but if you aren't comfortable doing it, a gunsmith can refinish it.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Thanks for the info.
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex