Scent Lock Clothing ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob1961

Re: Scent Lock Clothing ??

Post by bob1961 »

well lets see, i've been hunting since 1982....i'm on my 3rd set of plain ol camo hunting clothes now, no scent-loc this or that just plain ol quite cloth....i wash them in plain ol baking soda and hang them outside on the clothes line a week before i go hunting the first time of the year....i'll wash them like that 3/4 more times before cold weather hits....so 52 deer later since 82 that avgerages out to bout 2 a year, oh yeah i hunt on the ground, the wind and where the deer are too :lol: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Morangus

Post by Morangus »

Scent blockers, sent free clothing... all gimmicks! Several times already I've had to drop my lit cigarette to the ground to pull up my gun on a few deer that walked right up to me. It's all about wind direction, movement, and noise...
curtisgreen110683

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:If one bought everything the experts say you need to kill a deer you couldn't carry it all to your stand.

Wes
Ain't that the truth... Back when I was a younger man I shot deer while smoking cigarettes, I have often thought of buying into the scentlok hype but I just can't get off the money for it. I don't smoke anymore and even when I did me and the other guys I hunt with just wash our clothes with unscented detergent and put them in a tote or other storage bin of any type and put some leaves and other items that momma nature has created and used simple cover scents that sound realistic to something that can be smelled in nature. Have you ever went hunting and smelled fox urine? Ever been overcome with the smell of fresh earth scent while in the woods? Heck no! I believe the buck bomb stuff does work because I have seen it work,I did give in and try that stuff... That scentlok stuff is well built though, to each is own... Good luck and be safe out there...
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
outdoors_al

Post by outdoors_al »

I just don't understand how people hunted before scent lok and buck bombs and feeders and trail cams and mechanical broad heads and......lol
bigbuckonly1

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Yeah I dont know how the Indians ever killed all the food they ate without scent lock.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
Morangus

Post by Morangus »

I once had a buddy who was putting his wife's used tampons hanging on trees around him... I was like WTF are you doing?!... he said someone told him it worked so he wanted to try it... I about died laughing and walked far away... no he didn't get anything or see anything...
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Morangus wrote:I once had a buddy who was putting his wife's used tampons hanging on trees around him... I was like WTF are you doing?!... he said someone told him it worked so he wanted to try it... I about died laughing and walked far away... no he didn't get anything or see anything...
This is supporting evidence, all that would do is attract bears!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFO7Wo7ZCE
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I first heard about using used tampons from the Wensel brothers. Believe me;
they DO attract deer! Once we were in the Black Hills during my wife's
period.
You should have seen how the male burros reacted! Many bear maulings have
involved women at that time of the month. My wife got kind of upset when
she found out what I was doing! I'v seen bucks try to devour them! The
human odor doesn't seem to bother them. Unfortunately my supply ran out,
and I have to use commercial scents. Try it-just don't let your wife find
out. Actually , a female hunter might have a huge advantage for a few days
each month.
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

I used a cheap bottle of "wind checker" powder, check the wind, then place my climbing stand. I used multiple fixed stands and hunt the one with favorable wind. I use a earth-scented cover scent in case the wind swirls. For stalking wild boar, whose nose is even better than a deers, I KEEP THE WIND IN MY FACE. I don't even use trail cams after having an expensive unit broken because they failed to get it off the tree. I had another one stolen.

I quit chasing gimmicks and went back to the basics and my success rate went back up. I'll never let gear make me lazy again! That's why I love Excalibur crossbows; simple, accruate, and killer!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Jim M wrote:I first heard about using used tampons from the Wensel brothers. Believe me;
they DO attract deer....!
The conversation turned to this the other night around the table and my husband mentioned that with my impeccable timing (which always seems to adjust for right the week we're up north with no outhouse or running water :roll: ) he was going to make the best of it - he's going to tie me to a tree and buy a bear license. :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Back in the late 60's, I went deer hunting a couple of times with some experienced hunters. Before going into the woods, they made a fire and burned pine needles and stood around in the smoke. Some would take green pine needles, crush 'em and rub 'em on their clothes. The native americans might have used some similar technique. With the stick and strings they used, they had to get pretty close to the deer undetected. Thoughout history, there have been many more deer taken not wearing scent control clothing.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

curtisgreen110683 wrote:
Ain't that the truth... Back when I was a younger man I shot deer while smoking cigarettes, I have often thought of buying into the scentlok hype but I just can't get off the money for it. I don't smoke anymore and even when I did me and the other guys I hunt with just wash our clothes with unscented detergent and put them in a tote or other storage bin of any type and put some leaves and other items that momma nature has created and used simple cover scents that sound realistic to something that can be smelled in nature.
I've killed 5 bucks that had over 120 inches of bone that I took with a cup of coffee in my hands, a cigarette or both. Three were taken under 25 yards. But the Guru's were always telling me I couldn't kill big bucks if I smoked and drank coffee in my stand... :?: ...Guess they were wrong again :roll:

I also do not smoke any longer and I try to hold my coffee breaks to a minimum these days. I take scent control a lot more serious, but I honestly can't say I've been any more successful. I have always been a wind watcher and moved very slow. Kept my clothes washed and like Curtis and others above, kept my hunting clothes clean and in a trash bag or sealed tub with dirt, cedar boughs or pine needles inside.

I've tried Scent Lok clothes. I do like them but I can't say for certain that they helped any more than my normal scent reducing measures. The bottom line is that your body constantly produces scent, even if you were dead, you'll still be producing scent! There's nothing on the market that will eliminate all of it.

If the wind is blowing the wrong way for your tree stand, don't go. If it changes while you're there, get down and move.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4