Ameristep Doghouse blind question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mr. Dynamite

Ameristep Doghouse blind question

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

I have been reading the recent talk about blinds, and have enjoyed learning from what you all have said. This will be my first year actually hunting with my bow (even though I have owned it for 5 or 6 years - finally done with college for now), and I dont have a stand, and would like to be able to take my wife with me. We have only been married a couple of months and she is not big into the outdoors, so I had better make hunting an enjoyable experience if it is going to be good together time!! :D Best option, it sounds like to me, would be to get a ground blind. After seeing how blinds like the doghouse set up, it seems like they are the better way to go over the hub styles, and could be more easily concealed. My only question, then, is -- Is the doghouse a 2 man blind or just a one? Those of you who have one, ya like it?
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
RichJ

Re: Ameristep Doghouse blind question

Post by RichJ »

You can fit 2 people comfy in the Doghouse. Comfy enough that if it's your Wife you may not be paying attention to what's outside the blind. Lol
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've had a 4 yr old hunting with me in my Doghouse blind - there was plenty of room. A hub style blind has more, but also weighs more and costs more.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

I have a doghouse. Have hunted two people with guns for turkey out of it. This year was my first using my Xbow. The Xbow takes more room than a gun. don't think there is enought room for two even if only one is using a Xbow.
catcher

Post by catcher »

I guess it all depends on how big the two people are and the size of your chairs.etc..... I am six foot and 225 lbs and there is no way another adult is fitting in there with me. My 9 year old son fits in there with me but with a crossbow it is tight. I also have the ameristep bone collector hub blind. Now you can fit two big adults in there not to bad but it is heavy compared to the doghouse. I think it is an extra ten inches wider and i know I can almost stand up straight in it. I guess it all depends on what you want to have, more room and weight or less room and lighter blind.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I have hunted out of the doghouse with two but it is tight. SHort term it should be fine. If youa re planning to have her out allon go with the next size up I think its the out house

F
curtisgreen110683

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

I also agree with the above posts, I love hunting out of my doghouse blinds but it is too cramped for two people and a crossbow... When I shotgun hunt sometimes me and a friend sit together(One watching north and east, the other watching south and west) it works pretty good. I believe a big hub style bling or a double seater tree stand would work way better. I just saw some nice blinds on sale at Cabela's btw... Good luck and be careful!!!
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Buy an outhouse and your wife can sit on your lap she may learn to love the outdoors :wink:
The best things in life are not things!!
Bones

Post by Bones »

Have had one for 2 years and like it. Same as the rest of the posts 2 people, crossbow, is tight but can be done. Practice taking it down before going into the field it took me a few tries before I got it ( could be just me which is a good possibility )

Bones
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Galgo wrote:I have hunted out of the doghouse with two but it is tight. SHort term it should be fine. If youa re planning to have her out allon go with the next size up I think its the out house

F
The Outhouse isn't bigger just taller, easier to use with vertical bows. The Doghouse will be tight for two. You can do it but not comfortably and both can't be hunting at the same time. Now the Double Bull....but it costs 5 times as much.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
wabi

Post by wabi »

The Doghouse is big enough for 2 people, but use extreme caution shooting a crossbow from inside it when someone is with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son frequently sets with me inside it, but we have a carefully rehearsed procedure if I'm preparing to take a shot. He either gets behind me (preferred method - if at all possible) or crouches down in the other "off" corner behind & below the limbs of the crossbow.
I've explained to him I can't watch the deer, him, and the crossbow limbs all at the same time, so it's up to him to stay clear of them and the forward motion they make when I shoot.
It would be decidedly unpleasant to get whacked by one as it sweeps forward. :shock:
wabi
Philzleads

Post by Philzleads »

I hunted out of my doghouse exclusively last year. With a swivel-bucket, Excal, backpack and I had a bipod in there, its too cramped for two adults. I would also echo the comments about the limb slap, geez you dont want to get hit with an Excal limb.

If you are facing out one side, and a shooter shows up on the other, its not an easy matter to reposition two adults. IMHO.
Vortex
Boo String
Groundpounder
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I have taken my wife out, and I have the doghouse as well... we were ok in with two of us, but when I had to take a shot, I asked my wife to lean back on her seat, wanted to make sure she was clear of the limbs. It is a bit tight when you raise the crossbow to shoot, but it can be done :wink: :D .

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

oops double post
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
roly

Post by roly »

My son and i use a doghouse and it works fine
I'm 200lbs and my son is 350

But i agree with Wabi you need a rehearsed plan.