time for new arrows?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

time for new arrows?????

Post by wabi »

Took the Phoenix out this morning to sight in with the new Leupold scope I got from Danny Miller.
Numbered one vane on each arrow and used that as the "cock" feather as I shot.
Not all were hitting in the same place at 25 yards (not a great group using different arrows), but they seemed to be consistent for each arrow.
I took 2 arrows (#5 & 6) and shot at the same target dot 3 times with each arrow.
Using one arrow for multiple shots at the same dot produced (2) three shot one-hole groups!

Called Danny and ordered 6 FireBolts to try when I got home. :roll:

The reason I went with FireBolts is that they weigh very close to the same as the 2215s I'm using now. The 2215s are 3-4 years old now, and I guess the shooting over the years has finally got them slightly less than perfect on straightness.

Arrow #5 (after 3rd shot on same hole to the left of the 1" dot @ 25 yards) -
5.JPG
Arrow #6 (slightly high for the 3rd hit in the same hole) -
6.JPG
Pic of both on the target -
5n6.JPG
About ready for the opener in about 2 weeks. (Sept. 25 here in Ohio)
Got the wasps killed off that took up residence in my ladder stand, got the blind patched up (broken zipper) with velcro on the door, got the deer coming in to the feeder fairly regularly, got my broadheads sharp, now it's going to be a matter of checking the new arrows for accuracy and/or sorting out the best of the old 2215s and I'll be ready!!!!!!! :D
wabi
curtisgreen110683

Re: time for new arrows?????

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

I like the firebolts, mine all shoot very well, I have a hard time not shooting the vanes off or shooting through them, can't hardly wait til the 25th... Good luck and safety first...
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Any excuse to buy new arrows, eh? :D

That's some good shooting. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner4991 wrote:Any excuse to buy new arrows, eh? :D

That's some good shooting. 8)
I'll probably use the carbons for target shooting and sort the 2215s and pick out the best performers for deer hunting this season. I'm guessing the problem is simply that a few of them have gotten a little bit less straight (slightly bent) from too many shots into a target or the ground. Not bent enough to notice easily, but enough to hurt accuracy. They would still be good enough for hunting, but I've come to expect one hole groups from the Phoenix at close (25 yard) range. :lol:

Excalibur has ruined me when it comes to accuracy! I expect one hole groups shooting from the bench on sandbags! :roll:

BTW - I did put on a new Boo string for this season. Didn't wear the old one out in 3 seasons, but just wanted a change in color. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

shoulda got mine and it would be in that orange dot... kidding man! Good shooting also.. !!! A good arrow is only part of the equation since you need a good shooter to put her in the dot 8)
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

Wabi, why don't you hunt with the arrows that you'll practise with? Everything I've been taught is that you practise like you play, and with the same equipment, too. Firebolts will work great from your ladder stand.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Hey Wabi, you won't have any probs with Dannys, they go where you aim and this shot got me a $20. spot

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

kurisu wrote:Wabi, why don't you hunt with the arrows that you'll practise with? Everything I've been taught is that you practise like you play, and with the same equipment, too. Firebolts will work great from your ladder stand.
Had problems with GoldTip carbon shafts breaking, and I went back to aluminum for hunting. I'm hoping the FireBolts are more durable. If so I may use them for hunting in the future, but for now I still have plenty of the 2215 aluminum arrows for hunting. I'm hoping they will group the same (2215s & FireBolts) since the weight is very close to the same.
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi wrote:
kurisu wrote:Wabi, why don't you hunt with the arrows that you'll practise with? Everything I've been taught is that you practise like you play, and with the same equipment, too. Firebolts will work great from your ladder stand.
Had problems with GoldTip carbon shafts breaking, and I went back to aluminum for hunting. I'm hoping the FireBolts are more durable. If so I may use them for hunting in the future, but for now I still have plenty of the 2215 aluminum arrows for hunting. I'm hoping they will group the same (2215s & FireBolts) since the weight is very close to the same.

wabi. . .that's why I never bought more of the GT's . . .they are lite and fast, but, lack some durability, IMO. The heavier shafts are very strong. I've actually performed a Robinhood with my Powerbolts and the arrow busted the plastic nock, yet, my shaft was fine. I don't recommend trying that at home. :lol:

Just another trade-off in the name of speed.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

I tried the GoldTips when they first came out, and was very disappointed.

I had one break while it was in my quiver. :shock:
I walked in to my tree stand (through some weeds & brush, but nothing big) and when I took my hip quiver off my belt to hoist it into the stand the fletched end of one GoldTip was gone!

I had a couple break right behind the point insert when shooting them into a foam target. :roll:

I recovered half of one on the ground after it passed through a deer. (never found the other half?)

I gave the rest away! :lol: :lol:

I went back to aluminums a few years ago, but the accuracy is slowly declining. I'm guessing they are slowly getting slightly bent from the years of target shooting with them. I'll set at the bench one of these days (soon) and "weed out" the worst from the best, and retire the worst to unloading duty. (could be I've damaged a few by shooting them into the ground from the tree stand :roll: )

I was thinking of making up some new aluminums this fall, but decided to give the FireBolts a try. For what Danny miller charges for them I can't save much by "rolling my own". :wink:
wabi
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

What's the scoop on the leupold scope? What power?
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:Hey Wabi, you won't have any probs with Dannys, they go where you aim and this shot got me a $20. spot

Wes
hehehe Got irritated on AT, Someone all proud they got a robinhood. And you see picture they have like 20 arrows in the target. Managed to keep my mouth shut. LOL