Don't tell Sumner!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

groundpounder

Don't tell Sumner!

Post by groundpounder »

But I broke down and ordered some Rage mechanicals. I know, nothing like waiting until the last minute before season but... With my lost doe last season has had me really contemplating the much larger hole that a mechanical can provide. That and the great reviews forum members have had with the Rage. I opted for the 2 inch 2 blade for the larger hole. I know I have preached reliability of a fixed blade head but the positive reviews has me opting for giving them a go for this season. I'm going hunting for the first time this season in the morning. I'll still be sporting the G5's until the Rage show up. Hopefully I'll have a good hunting story to post tomorrow :wink: . I am already planning some unusual tactics for the trip that you will just have to wait to see :P .
Why ride when you can walk!
Kelley

Re: Don't tell Sumner!

Post by Kelley »

Good Luck Todd! Looking forward to seeing a picture.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I don't want to throw a fly in the ointment, when I ask the guide for my hunt this fall about mechanicals he said the deer there are big boned and they had trouble with pentration. He recommended a fixed blade for the deer in his area. I have nothing against either, just saying. :?
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

agingcrossbower wrote:I don't want to throw a fly in the ointment, when I ask the guide for my hunt this fall about mechanicals he said the deer there are big boned and they had trouble with penetration. He recommended a fixed blade for the deer in his area. I have nothing against either, just saying. :?
We have some big deer here and have never failed with my Spitfire mechanicals. All have been pass-thru except one. That one broke off-side shoulder bone and came out about 12 inches. No problem with ribs, breaks both sides and buries 6 inches in hard clay soil.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Best of luck with the Rage BH's. Mech. & big bodied deer hogs elk moose just use a heavier arrow weight fer complete pass-through's
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Well . . .I'm late replying because I've been using my 20 guage to shoot those flying pigs. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hopefully most of us can shhot better than putting Bh's into leg bones spines & such. I do have a pic of a 4 pt i shot through the throat patch & arrow was sticking almost all the way out the back of neck bone. Used 2219
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Todays hunt did not go at all as planned. I went to my favorite WMA with the kayak loaded in the truck. Yes I said kayak! To get to my favorite spot a water crossing and trip upsteam a few hundred yards is required. I usually haul the john boat or use waders but last year saw I guy doing it in a kayak and thought that was alot easier to transport. I went to turn down the road that leads down to the river and the gate was CLOSED :evil: . No way to even get close to the river now from this side of the property. And the ony area that I know the river well enough to even think about putting the kayak in. So I drive all the way around the property and live up to my name and do some groundpounding coming in from the other side. I've drug deer all the way out of there before but I know how much work it is and am thinking about it my whole walk in. I could have hunted closer to the truck but I just can't make myself do that. Well, no worries on dragging a deer out that you don't ever see :roll: I did hear one blowing on the "other" side of the river from me and heard a turkey putting but saw nothing. Thats hunting! I'll try somewhere else tomorrow :)
Why ride when you can walk!
War Paint

Post by War Paint »

Sumner needs a 10 ga for those Pigs. So you sold out and went to the other side. Know all to well about the drag from up there.(Just float him across) Shoot stright.