Target Problems

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

furstretcher

Target Problems

Post by furstretcher »

I shoot an older Exocet 175 and love it. Many whitetails have ran their last yards after getting to close to my x-bow!
I finally ran out of good straight Rocky Mtn. bheads and have recently switched to Montec G5's preping for our season opener this weekend.
I currently use a Yellow Jacket X-bow target which had been fine BUT, The G5's penetrate so much better I am burying the vanes.

Do any of you have an answer for how to beef this target up or how to build a workable alternative (rags in a box or bag) etc:

I'm running out of time to get her zeroed. Please HELP!!

Thanks much.
vixenmaster

Re: Target Problems

Post by vixenmaster »

Is it the bag target ? I shoot Montec G5 out of my phoenix & they're right with-in 1/4-3/8" of field pts. I have an old 3-D target i ck mine with. You maybe able to use double carpet to keep penetration down
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
furstretcher

Post by furstretcher »

Thanks vixenmaster,

I'll give it a try.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

furstretcher wrote:Thanks vixenmaster,

I'll give it a try.
DON'T! Near impossible to get broadheads out of carpet. :? I use Slick tricks partially because they fly so much like the field tips that I no longer bother to practice with 'heads.

But if your target is shot up pretty bad try injecting it with expandable insulation foam (using the plastic nozzle provided) be sure to let it cure a day of two. You can even wrap the target with Cling Wrap (plastic film used to wrap food), then inject the foam through a small hole in the film, to help keep the foam in the target.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sorry if i gave bad material info. I used it draped over my target & shot one arrow at a time.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

try stuffinga fed bag with old blue jeans cut all buttons and zippers out first ans stuff it full .thius will stop all arrows another tip we used was to us screen old window screen works very well when stuffed in to a feed bag we have bee doing this for more then 20 years DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
furstretcher

Post by furstretcher »

Thanks guys for the good advice.
A feed bag full of rags WILL stop any arrow! On the downside, you cannot pull a G5 out of it. No problem though, I just pulled out the rags and one by one removed them from the arrow. Takes a couple minutes, but I have the time and now a perfectly zeroed X-bow. Ready for the stand today.

Good luck to y'all.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Box of old clothes work great a bit of a pain to get broad heads out of

I don't shoot broad heads into this one but one with just foam in front of the clothes
Tenpoint Matrix
furstretcher

Post by furstretcher »

Got good venison on first afternoon. Two hours in the tree. Thanx folks for the good advice.

There is another thread going right now with a compressed peat moss target attempt. Interesting idea. Can buy many bags of peat moss for the cost of a target that won't stop arrows!
curtisgreen110683

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

Try this target out if ya get a chance, fairly easy removal and priced decent $50-$70. Good for pts or broadheads... Needs a lil bit of weight on top or it turns... Easy broadhead pull out too!!! I painted the 9 spots on the back and it came with the 5 on the front. I love it but the center is almost totally woar out.
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
Missin

Post by Missin »

^^^Loonks similair to the target i havr. The centre of mine is flogged out aswell and 20yard shots puts the arrow straight through and still going. I ended up putting a ratchet tie down around it and it works perfect again. Might put some carpet on it though.