The NC boys knock one down!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

The NC boys knock one down!!!!!

Post by raydaughety »

As most of you know, I have had back luck with ground blinds but this afternoon was awesome. Tyler and I arrived at the blind at about 6:00. I got off the 4 wheeler and was getting set up as Tyler went to hide the atv. We quickly got set in and I was feeling good about our set up. We had put corn out twice and the last bag that we put Saturday, had a gallon of Buck Jam mixed in with the corn. The deer were devouring it. About 7:00 a doe came from downwind and was within five yards of the blind when she caught our scent and hightailed it out of there. I was grateful that she didn't blow and alert other deer in the area. I was just telling Tyler that I had killed a many a deer right at dusk. I no sooner got the words out of my mouth when Tyler said "there he is dad!!!" I looked up and saw a good sized deer coming to the corn. I knew it was going to be a twenty yard shot for Tyler and I was so happy that it was finally going to happen for him but when I told him to go ahead and draw, we realized that in the darkness if the blind, he could not find the deer in his peep sight. He was so frustrated, it broke my heart. I quickly remembered that it was now legal for him to shoot a crossbow in our state and said, "here, kill him with the crossbow" but he wouldn't do it. I raised my crossbow and realized that it was in fact a small buck in velvet. I asked him again if he wanted to take the shot but he refused. I settled the 20 yard crosshair tight behind his shoulder and gently squeezed the trigger. I saw the bright yellow "Cow Wacker" disappeared behind his front shoulder and kept going out the other side. He jumped up and ran into a big pine tree and within 3 seconds he crashed just out of sight. I sat back and tried to calm myself for a minute or two. We were high fiving and hugging and Tyler asked if I was upset with him for not shooting the crossbow. Some of you may know that Tyler had set a personal goal 3 years ago to harvest a deer with his compound before switching to a crossbow. In fact, I had a great deal lined up on a crossbow for him when the law passed here not long ago but he wanted to wait to get one with his bow and I respect and admire him for sticking to the goal that he had set for himself. Some may have something to say about shooting a small buck but I will not apologize for it. Having a disability like mine, you have to take what you can get and be thankful for it and I am. The picture is terrible as I had to you the timer on the camera to get both of us in the photo. Also, the crossbow is pointed in the wrong direction but it is obviously uncocked and no arrow is on the rail. Anyhow, Tyler used the four wheeler to drag the buck up onto the trailer and off to the clubhouse we went. It is a school night and Mom was waiting for Tyler to get home and in bed so we quickly field dressed him and Tyler drug him into the walk in cooler. We will go back after school tomorrow afternoon and get some help hanging him up and hauling off the entrals. BTY, you should have seen what my old slick tricks did to that deer. The arrow went in behind the shoulder on one side and broke the shoulder on the opposite side and kept on getting it.. The broadhead passed directly through the top of his heart. It's been a long time since I have killed one with my crossbow so forgive me if I sound jacked up but when I stop feeling this way then it's time to give it up and I don't see that happening. I want to thank all of my friends here for encouraging me to fight on and good things will come. You guys and gals are the greatest :wink:

God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
NewGuy

Re: The NC boys knock one down!!!!!

Post by NewGuy »

Congrats Ray and Tyler!
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Double post.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
deer nut

Post by deer nut »

congratulations !!!!!!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D First off CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!! :D
Ray never apologize for a clean legal harvest . It is honourable of Tyler to stick to his personal goal . :)
The Daughety`s will be eating backstraps :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

congradulations on an awsome hunt!
Crispy
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to both of you, looks like good eating Buck to me. Go get another tick toter!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like you are starting the season off right!
Doe Master wrote:Ray never apologize for a clean legal harvest .
X2 :wink:
wabi
JimM

Post by JimM »

Doe Master wrote:Ray never apologize for a clean legal harvest .
X3 :wink:[/quote]

Them youngins are the best eatin :D Congrats
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I know that I have said this a thousand times here on this forum but here we go again. I am so blessed to have Tyler as a son. He single handedly retrieved that deer, got him on the trailer and once we arrived at the club he strung him up and field dressed him. He then drug the deer into the walk in cooler. He sure is a fine young man but I think most of y'all know that. There are a lot of deer coming to that oak ridge and starting Thursday afternoon, we will concentrate on getting him a deer. Of course that was the plan last evening but it was just too dark in the blind :( . Thanks T, I love ya buddy :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats on a fine looking deer! Good shooting too!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

WAY TO GO!!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

Good job guys!

Tyler I respect a man who "says what he does and does what he says"
:D :D
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

Ray and Tyler;

What a GREAT hunt and story behind it; Tyler is a fine young man and the both of you are blessed to have each other; the only problem that you, Ray, will have is when tyler is 16 and older will be trying to figure out which set of woods he is in... :D ....

As far as the size of deer, NEVER apologize to me or anyone else for it because I consider EVERY deer a trophy reguardless of size or gender; to share a evening with your son and to have him by your side, and to kill a wonderful size deer, well it's just like the commercial states, PRICELESS; CONGRATS TO THE BOTH OF YA AND PLEASE CONTINUE TO POST YOUR SUCCESS AND HUNTING STORIES WITH YOUR SON;

God bless....Barry